The Mother/Daughter Conversation

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

2 comments

Friendship Romance

The Mother/Daughter Conversation

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

“Yes, I am absolutely one hundred percent absolutely sure.”

“But what if it backfires?”

“Then it backfires.”

“But, if it backfires that is like opening a whole new can of worms that you aren’t ready to open.”

“Look, this is my decision and if I want to this then I am going to do it whether you approve of it or not.”

“I know you don’t need my approval; I understand that. But, don’t you think you should consider every angle before you take the plunge?”

“I have considered every angle, mother.”

“Yes, dear, but maybe there are angles that you haven’t considered. Sometimes, there are what we call intangibles. Do you know what an intangible is?”

“Yes, mother, I know what an intangible is. I am not stupid.”

“I know you aren’t stupid. After all, you are from me so how could you be stupid?”

“I have thought this out through and through. I have slept on it many nights. I have written down all kinds of ideas about it. There is nothing left to do but to go through with it.”

“Well, I am not going to stand in your way. If you want to do this then just do it. But, always remember a mother knows best and this time, mother really does know best.”

“I have always trusted your opinion and your guidance mother, but this time I am going to do things my way. After all, I am grown woman now and it is time that I make my own decisions.”

“I am not going to argue that you are a grown woman and that you have to make your own decisions. What I am arguing is that things could change a year, or two years or five years down the road.”

“Well, no one can predict the future, mother. But, my heart says this is the right decision. My intellect says this is right.  Plus there have been many, many signs. Yesterday, I saw a cardinal and I said to myself if I see a really great bird then I am bound to make the right choice.”

“Okay, dear, and what other signs were there?”

“Well, the other night when I was out in the backyard I saw a shooting star and made a wish.”

“Okay, is there any more?”

“I went to the cemetery the other day and prayed to grandma and grandpa to guide me because they were so wise and as I was praying a breeze swept through. I swear it felt like it was the two of them grabbing me each by a hand and taking me along.”

“They were wise.”

“Grandpa always said that there were only two types of decisions to be made: good ones and those you wished you had.”

“There are three because bad decisions always occur. I could think of many that I made in my lifetime.”

“But, when you make a decision it doesn’t always mean it is going to be bad. Time has a way of swing and changing and altering things. What seems right at the moment might not be so right down the line.”

“Well, this is true. I am glad that we are agreeing on this at least.”

“And, if I decide wrongly then you know what, mother?”

“No, what dear?”

“I will live to learn with my bad decision.”

“Yes, I guess you will and won’t have a choice in the matter.”

“Anyway, mother, I am glad that we had this conversation.”

“So am I, dear. But, I don’t think we are done just yet.”

“What do you mean, mother?”

“Okay, you’ve made your mind up and I trust your decision. Now there is another matter to attend to.”

“What is that?”

“Well, I have met a man and we have been dating.”

“Mother that is terrific news!”

“I am glad that you think so.”

“So tell me about him. And don’t spare any of the details.”

“Well, he is tall and a nice looking man. He has blue eyes and you know I am a sucker and always have been for blue eyes.”

“Yes, I know that.”

“He is a businessman and had been very successful. He owns a number of properties mostly rentals and has done quite well at this.”

“This is good. Does he have any children?”

“Yes, he has a daughter your age. He is divorced and I find it so hard to believe it because he is quite charming.”

“Charming is a wonderful quality. You combine it with those beautiful blue eyes and wow mom that is like so cool.”

“Yes, dear it is very cool.”

“So where did you two meet?”

“In the grocery store of all places.”

“The grocery store? Are you kidding me?”

“Yes, he came around the corner and nearly bumped into my cart. Then he apologized profusely and insisted that we get a coffee sometime. So, I was really shy at first and told him that it wasn’t necessary, but then he wouldn’t take no for an answer.  Anyway, we went out for a coffee and talked for almost two hours. It was like we were old lost friends that had found each other again.”

“What did you talk about?”

“Oh, our children, our failed marriages and stuff that happened when we were kids and all kinds of topics.”

“That sounds wonderful.”

“Yes, I surely thought so.”

“So how many dates have you been on?”

“Oh, I am not quite sure to tell you the truth.”

“Well, that is wonderful news mother and I am glad that you have found a man that makes you happy and puts a smile on your face.”

“So am I. Now back to your decision. How about if the three of us — me, you and my new beau all get together to discuss things?”

“I have already made my decision. Besides, it wouldn’t be fair to put that type of pressure on him.”

“Well, I think he is used to all types of pressure being such a successful businessman and all.”

“I will have to think about it. However, I really do want to meet him.”

“This is great news. I was thinking you could come over for Sunday brunch. Let’s say around eleven or so?”

“I could do that.”

“That’s great, dear and you will get to meet Phillip.”

“Oh, his name is Phillip?”

“Yes, it is Phillip.”

“Just think, mother, in a strange set of coincidences we could like have a double wedding?  Wouldn’t that be romantic?”

“Well, dear that would be very interesting but I don’t think it is going to happen.”

“Why not?”

“Well, we already went off and got married. I am sorry dear, but I have to go now.”

“Mother? Don’t you dare hang up on me? Mother?  MOTHER?”

January 16, 2021 00:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tia Jackson
17:04 Jan 19, 2021

This is really cool! It’s funny, sweet and I couldn’t stop reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Anderson
01:07 Jan 21, 2021

I like the sense of intrigue that you build without giving away what the decision is that the daughter is making. Some of the conversation came across to me as a but unnatural - lots of 'I am glad' rather than 'I'm glad' and there was a bit of repetition where one character would state something and then the other would repeat it to show they understood. Overall I think you did a good job at bringing the daughter's character to life through dialogue.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.