2 comments

Science Fiction Speculative

A warm glow washed over Steven as he entered the foyer of the Forward Company's launch facility. Images of a happy family barbeque, children playing in a sprinkler and dogs fetching frisbees flowed across the building’s high dome, so peaceful. He’d designed the company’s human interface program to elicit this exact response, yet he could not control his own reactions. The room exuded a sense of infinity; all was possible here.

The company motto repeated at the four cardinal points.

There is no going back, but the future is always there for you.

A golden line appeared on the floor in front of him and a sultry female voice spoke. “Please follow the line to your personal appointment, Mr. Gilford.”

The system had already picked up his sexual preferences and gave his AI guide a matching voice. Again, a perfect progression presenting just the right atmosphere to imply something luxurious lay ahead. Even the addition of the word ‘personal’ added to the sense of something special awaiting him.

The foyer represented the best of psychometric-marketing. Steven admired his work even as it drew him in. He followed the line to the waiting attendant.

“So, Mr. Gilford.” The attendant smiled with perfectly straight, white teeth. “You’ve decided to make the plunge forward.”

“Well, there is no going back,” Steven chuckled at his little joke.

“No, indeed. Traveling back in time would create, hmm, potential issues with the present. Physics won’t allow it. But as per the Twin Paradox, the future is available to us all. Just the proper application of acceleration, and off you go.” The attendant radiated confidence. “So how far did you want to go, Mr. Gilford?”

“All the way. The maximum the system allows.”

The greeter’s calm demeanor cracked for a few seconds. “Are you sure you do not want to take a small step first? Things will have changed to an almost unrecognizable degree in a millennium. We don’t know exactly what is there.”

“One millennium is what I want. It is my choice, yes?”

“Yes, of course. Let me enter the correct information. I’ll need a fingerprint and an eye scan as legal acknowledgement.”

#

“We need you to change into this jumper, Mr. Gilford. No underwear, remove any piercings or other sexual paraphernalia.”

Steven stared blankly at the attendant, who shrugged. “During short test jumps, you know a few days ahead, we found certain materials do not travel well. Usually just some nasty burns, but…”

“Ok, where is the changing room?”

“I am afraid I have to watch.”

“Do you enjoy that?”

The attendant frowned.

#

A dozen people in the same white jumpers sat before the 3-D screen. A young, androgenous couple explained the next steps of the process.

“Arrival can be very disorienting. Take your time to acclimate. There is no rush,” said person one with an angelic smile.

“Your money is in an investment account that will grow exponentially without living expenses. The future is rich indeed. Your fingerprint and eye scan will unlock your account,” said person two.

“The company will help you set up your desired living arrangements and help with any adjustment issues,” said person one.

“Are there any question?” They intoned together.

Of course not. He’d designed the presentation to ease travelers into a state of perfect calm.

#

“Please sit on the floor, Mr. Gilford. The process can be very disorienting.” This attendant had no charisma, no charm, just technical competency. Everyone entering this glossy white sphere had already bought in. Technical skill replaced the marketing.

The door closed and melded into the rest of the structure. Steven’s world became a perfect white sphere, no seams, no sensor holes, nothing. His eyes would not focus. The walls could be a few meters or a few kilometers away.

A high-pitched whine grew from barely audible to ear crushing. Steven realized how a tooth must feel at the dentist’s office. He floated off the floor and rotated about. Swirling his arms only made the gyration worse. His stomach protested.

Flash!

The ground smacked into his back and knocked the air out of his lungs. A bright blue sky with the occasional fluffy cloud filled his blurry vision. He’d arrived.

He blinked in the bright sunlight and tried to stand. The world whirled about. He sat back down and waited a few minutes as per the instructions. His second attempt succeeded as he stood and surveyed the area.

What the hell? A broad field of knee-high grass surrounded him. Trees were visible in the distance. He swiveled around. He stood in the middle of a circle of man-high upright stones. Where in blazes was the Forward Company building?

Steven jerked in response to the sound of a horn on his left. Another tooted on his right. He ducked down onto his knees and looked for a place to hide.

A small group of people approached. They looked unkempt and wore crudely sewn animal skins. They closed the distance between them at a rapid pace. The bigger ones, males by their beards, carried spears. The pressure increased in his bladder.

One man said something. A few words seemed familiar, but Steven could not work out a meaning. The man shrugged, grabbed Steven by the arm, and pulled him to his feet. The man gestured, and the group walked off in the direction they’d come. Steven stood there. A child ran back, grabbed his hand and tugged him towards the departing group. Steven blinked, then followed along.

“Francais, Espanol, English?” said the emaciated old man. A group of half-naked children surrounded them inside the rustic hut. Their stench made Steven want to retch.

“English,” Steven answered.

“Good, yes, I own some English. Year?”

Steven stared, not comprehending.

“Year, what year you come from?”

Steven told the skin covered skeleton.

“Ah ha, at the beginning. Good, can teach much.”

“I don’t understand. Teach who? Where is the Forward Company?”

The old man’s laugh turned into a hacking cough. “Company is me. The last one.”

Steven gaped. “But, but… how?”

“Company good. Convince many to come forward, too many. Not enough left in the past to keep things working. The more that left, the worse things became. I was the last to leave.” The old man plucked at the beard that ran down to his shrunken belly. “Past changed future. Past no more. Rotten now, all things rotten.”

Steven looked at the eager young faces surrounding him.

They chanted, “Teach, teach, teach,..”.

Teach them what? The only thing he knew was marketing. 

July 13, 2022 21:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John Hanna
02:29 Jul 22, 2022

Hi Aaron, My name is John and I have been given your story from the critique circle. I'm about halfway through it and I haven't found any grammar errors and the characters, subject, and dialog are believable and interesting. I would have given person one a name but that's just me. Heh! The only thing he knew is marketing! What a statement about the marvels of the modern world! Loved it!

Reply

Aaron Falk
18:57 Jul 22, 2022

Thanks John. I had a lot of fun writing it. Now I need to figure out how to get it published.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.