0 comments

Funny Suspense Romance

December 31st. 10PM. 

Gerald stood at the edge of the rooftop above the City Central Stock Exchange. The wind blew through his hair. His suit felt loose no matter how many times he adjusted it. He tapped the rope with his foot. It felt much slacker than it had when he had fastened it a few hours ago. It was dark now, and he could not see further than a few yards of rope, never mind the sister skyscraper that the other end was fastened to. 

 “You can do it, Gerald,” cheered a voice from behind him. Gerald didn’t look around. If he had, he would have seen a drunk man in a business suit, his tie long since slackened. He lay on the roof with several empty beer bottles by his bare feet. 

 “What time is it?” asked Gerald. 

 He heard his colleague fumble to remove his mobile phone from his pocket, before answering, “Just after ten. You’d better get a move on if you’re going to make it before New Year’s.” 

 “It’s so dark. I should’ve done this sooner!” 

 “Yeah, like in June. And you should’ve started on the little ones. I can hook the rope up to a tree-” 

 “No! That wasn’t the resolution.” 

 The resolution of the previous year had in fact been to cross his office block to his flat via a tightrope. Now, as he gazed over the black precipice, Gerald wished he had made a more realistic resolution, like plummeting towards 3rd Street at 100kmph. At least he could do that. 

 “Times-a-ticking, dude. We’re going to miss the party. If you’re not going to do it-” 

 He didn’t know he was doing it, but Gerald took his first step out onto the rope. When he thought back on it later, he was sure that the mentioning of “the party” and considering that he might miss his chance to kiss Sharon, the pretty lady from accounting, had spurred him on to action. He thought only of that moment. He wouldn’t allow himself to think of anything else. He certainly refused to consider the shaky wire under his shoes and the many miles of empty space underneath him. 

 “You’re doing it, man! You’re nearly halfway!” 

 I am? Gerald looked down at the wire in astonishment. Suddenly, the whole act of walking a very thin and shaky wire without a safety harness became very real to him and he was struck by the stupidity of the whole thing. His foot started to shake uncontrollably. The wire jerked to the left and right underneath him. He threw his hands out to each side for balance. His arms leaned one way; his butt stuck out the other way. Gerald wondered what falling would feel like. What would hitting the ground feel like? There was nobody alive to say. 

 “Dude, just come back! You don’t need to do this!” 

 “Shut up! Don’t talk to me. I need to-” 

 With both arms outstretched like a bed, Gerlad took a shaky step forward. Then another. And another. And another. Don’t think. Just walk. Step. Step. Step. Step. Step. 

 Then he stepped onto solid ground. 

 He let out a sigh of relief and realised that he had been holding his breath. He became aware of how rotten his mouth tasted. He always ground his teeth when he was stressed. He looked down. He fell to his knees and patted the ground to confirm that he had actually made it. 

 “Holy shit, dude. You did it.” 

 The solid, concrete ground felt amazing. Gerald had never felt so grateful for a solid surface. 

 “Give me a minute. I’ll be straight over.”  

Gerald heard his colleague stumble over some bottles and head down into the building. He lay there, alone and sweating in the cool night’s air. He had really done it! One year ago, he had vowed to himself and those around him that he would cross a tightrope from his office to his flat before the year was out, and now he had accomplished it. It was a wonderful feeling to achieve something you had once considered impossible. What would Sharon say? He could picture her face now, in awe of him, of his courage and physical dexterity. 

 Sharon! What was he doing? Gerald had just accomplished the most impressive feat of his life, and he was just laying here on the roof. His breathing had returned to normal and he didn’t feel as scared as he had before. 

 With a grunt, he pulled himself to his feet. He pulled his shoes off and rubbed his soles. His socks were warm and damp. Shoes under his arm, Gerald made his way to the door into the building. He opened it and saw his colleague on the other side, reaching for the handle. 

 “You did it, man,” he shouted and embraced Gerald in a bear hug. 

 “I did it,” was all Gerald could say. 

 “Come on, dude. Let’s get you a beer.” 

 The two of them took the stairs – Gerald's apartment was one floor down. Leaning on his friend’s arm, Gerald asked, “Just you? Where is everybody?” 

 “Oh? Yeah. They’re here, don’t worry. I mean, everyone came. They just- well, it was getting cold. Truth be told, I think most of them thought you weren’t going to cross. Not me, though. I never doubted you for a moment.” 

 Gerald pulled out his apartment key with a shaky hand and tried to open the door. 

 “Here, dude. Let me.” The door opened easily with a soft click. “Hey guys, look who’s finally here!” 

 The group turned and gave Gerlad an enormous cheer. Then they turned back to the conversation they’d been having before the door clicked open. 

 “See,” he said, uneasily. “You’re a hero!” 

 “Yeah, but- Just a moment.” He found Sharon, and pulled her aside from the handsome fitness instructor from downstairs. “Hey, Sharon.” 

 “Oh, hi Gerald. Are you feeling better?” 

 “Better? I’m feeling fantastic. On top of the world.” 

 “That’s excellent. I’m glad. I know it was scary. But hey, you’ve got twelve months to prepare this time. Next year, eh?” 

 “Next year? You mean, you weren’t watching?” 

 “Well, I stuck around for the first hour.” 

 “I did it, Sharon! I just crossed the buildings!” 

 “No!” 

 “Yes!” 

 “You didn’t!” 

 “I did!” 

 “That’s-” Speechless, Sharon grabbed Gerald’s cheeks and gave him a big kiss. “That’s incredible! And I missed it! I’m so mad at myself for leaving.” 

 “Hey, there’s no need for that. I took too long.” 

 “Yes, but- it was very high. You must have been terrified.” 

 “Terrified! Me? Ha! Are you kidding? I don’t get scared by a little thing like that.” 

 “You’re so brave!” 

 “That didn’t take bravery. What a pathetic challenge. Next year, I’m going to do that walk, but this time, I’m going to be blindfolded!” 

December 31, 2020 09:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.