9 comments

Fiction Sad Romance

February 12

Having so many schedules can be really the end of your life, figuratively speaking, I need a break. As a top student, I'm always studying or earning money by working at a near-by coffee shop as my part-time job, I just noticed that I don't have time for myself like I used to. It's been so long since I hang out with my friends or have the day all to myself.

"Hey, can I take the day off tomorrow?" I asked my co-worker, my bestfriend in high school till now, college. "What for? You're gonna study for the whole day again, Juliet?" she asked disappointed but not surprised. "Hey! That's not the reason at all, Alicia!" I denied. "I just want to take a break," I flopped down on the empty chair, next on the glass wall. "You can take the day off tomorrow, but please work with me on February 14," She begged. "Alright, I don't want you third-wheeling all of the couples that is gonna be here," we laughed. 

Next day, February 13

11:26 AM

Finally, I woke up late yet early. I'm planning to go to the river that is close to the mall of where I am working. Being busy doesn't mean I don't have any hobbies, I like to do many things such as drawing, painting, reading or playing with animals. They say I am such an artistic type of person, but I don't believe in them. Enjoying to do something does not mean that you are good at it.

3:08 PM

I took a cab to the mall, and realize that almost everyone is already buying flowers, chocolates or is already eating with family, or their partners. I hope single people will realize that being single means being free. They should enjoy it while it lasts, because you can only be single once...unless, of course, if you two broke up. 

I sat down on the grass and started drawing the wonderful scenery. The pink sky, people talking, and the smell of chocolates are always what I've been waiting for on Valentine's day, but the highlight is always gonna be my favorite one. Fireworks. I looked up at the sky, thinking about the lights that will light it up later...

3:07 PM

I saw someone that caught my eye. Is it her? Of course, it's her, I could never forget her face. She sat down on the grass close to the river. I wonder, is she fine?

3:36 PM

Juliet have finally finished her drawing. She went to a bench near her to rest for a while. While she was there, she saw a guy, buying a bouquet of roses in a distant, she wondered who's that special someone is. Her phone suddenly rang and it was Alicia, "Hey, what's up?" "I thought today isn't a busy day!!" Alicia screamed through the phone. "Where are you?" she asked. " I'm just at the river park," Juliet chuckled. "WHAT?? HERE?" she shouted once again. "You didn't told me that you're just gonna be here!" "I thought I'd surprised you!" "Are you coming here to eat?" "Hmm...no," 

"May I sit here?" The guy who Juliet saw that bought the bouquet, asked her. "Alicia, I'll talk to you later," Juliet hang up. 

They both were mesmerized by the magnificent view. Finally, the boy broke the awkward silence.

"How are you?" he looks at her with a smile on his face.

"I'm alright, thank you for asking. How about you, sir?" 

"You don't need to be formal around me, Juliet," he said.

"I'm sorry, how did you know my nickname that my friends call me?" 

"Don't you remember me?" he asked hoping that she will remember him.

"I don't know, I'm sorry," she moved away from him a little and avoided eye contact.

Flashback

8:40 AM at school

"Okay, what is it?" "Nucleus..?" she said, not sure about the answer. "No!! Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, while Nucleus is the brain of the cell," I explained again, even if I already explained it 5 minutes ago. "They're just the same thing," "No, it's not, there's a huge difference," I convinced her and she gave up.

"Alright class, today is your finals. Again, no cheating, no talking, and once you're finish, turn it around, don't let anyone see it," Our teacher came in, holding the exam papers. 

10:40 AM

After finishing the exams we took a walk outside to get some fresh air. We were heading towards the gym to play basketball. I felt something in my hands, I looked down and saw his, intertwining our fingers together. A blush slowly crept to our faces. While we're walking, We saw an old couple playing on the snow. We watched them for a bit as we thought it was cute, then went inside the gym.

"You saw them, right?" I asked. He nodded, "One day, we'll be just like them," He dribbled the ball and passed it to you. "I know you like me but I didn't said yes yet," I passed the ball back at him. "Then what can I do to make you mine?" He took a shot, the ball went through the hoop. 

12:09 PM

"And then, while I was there, I saw these two!!" Alicia points at me and Hayden to our other friends. "Hayden was helping Angelica to skate because we all know she sucks at skating, but lucky us, we have a friend who practiced it just for her-" While we're walking to the bus stop, my best friend decided to spill something to our group, which is kind of true but not true. "He DIDN'T practice it for me Alicia." I looked at Hayden to side with me but he just smiled and said, "Well..." "NOOO!!" I kept jumping to get my hands to cover his mouth but he just grabbed both of my wrist so it's no use.

Alicia kept talking until we got there. "...Oh!! And did I mention that Angelica fell on top of Hayden and accidentally kissed??" This is enough. "Wait really???" They did not just believe that. "Noo!! She's making that up!!!" I chase her around and around till the bus arrived.

"Alicia.." I called her. "What, Hayden?" Making sure no one was around. "I heard Angelica was moving to a new city with you." "Yes, but that is supposed to be a secret." Alicia was befuddled to how I know. "Please call her Juliet for me when you already moved," I begged her. She asked why, but all I can tell her is that Angelica can remember me.

12:45 PM

"You guys go ahead. Me and Angelica will go home," Hayden and I waved at them and started walking. "We should have a call sign, Romeo and Juliet sounds good right?" I nodded. "It's still a sad story though," I looked at the ground. "But a good one...they both thought the other died so they killed themselves because there is no reason for them to live without their love," I looked at him and smiled. "You're really into Romeo and Juliet, huh?"

A few minutes, we are in front of my house. "See you later, my Juliet." he winked and walked away. 'Later?' you thought.

10:27 PM

I heard a knock...on the window? I checked what is it but it turns out to be Hayden. "What do you want?" I mouthed, hopefully he'll understand. There's a text on my phone, it's him, this silly boy. 'Will you open your window? I'm looking for my Juliet' 'Yeah yeah whatever' I text back. I opened the window to let him in. He jumped inside startling me. "SHUSSHHH!!" I whispered-screamed at him. "Sorry..." He sat on my chair. "What are you doing here? And how did you got up on the roof?" "I have my ways" I threw a pillow at him. "I just wanted to say I love you-" "As a friend" I cut him off. "Well maybe as friends today and as lovers tomorrow." He stood and was going out to the window again. "You wish," I rolled my eyes. "Goodnight,"

End Of Flashback

3:58 PM

"O-okay...I'm sorry," I stood up, "I never forgot you, you know."

"What?" she asked, of course confused. Did she really forgot me and the memories we made?

"You're the one who forgot," I let out a small chuckle and looked around to avoid the awkwardness.

"I'm sorry but I really don't know what you're talking about let alone you." She still have that annoyed look. It's like she never changed. "Well, It's okay if you forgot...I just want to let you know that I loved you for a long time, Happy Valentine's day anyway," I smiled at her, gave her the bouquet and chocolates, and ran to somewhere I cannot be seen.

I sobbed like it's the end of the world because for me it really does feel like that. Will you be happy? Even though I know it's not with me. You even made me smile during my bad days, how can I forget you?

5:48 PM

I called my friend to let him know that I can't make it on our boys' night and I also told him how I ran into Angelica. "What did you do? Did you tell her that you know her?" "Of course, what would I say? But it seems like she doesn't remember me at all." I sighed. "Did you already forgot that she had amnesia?" He said. "What??" I asked, shocked. "Don't you know??" He was also surprised how I didn't know. "I didn't, what happened?!" He told me that after she moved to a different city, she had a car accident and had a partial amnesia. triggered by stress, her memories of me was miserable, that it was erased because she cannot stop thinking about me. "Why did you just told me now?" "I thought you knew, bro, I'm sorry."

7:30 PM

The highlight is starting. Many people gathered to the park where the fireworks night will be held. My eyes scanned the crowd and finally, I saw her...again. "Hey," "Oh you're back, look the fireworks are starting." She was so fascinated by the lights flickering on the black sky, fiery blooms amongst the stars, that it reflected on her bright hazel orbs. I look up to see sparks explode into a thousand particles of light that conquered the sky. I will let you go.

"What a pretty sky." she smiled at the glow, lighting up the sky.

I looked back to the memories we made, one last time. Our last goodbye.

I looked at the girl next to me, "It is beautiful."

February 18, 2021 10:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Dhel Gonzales
08:01 Feb 25, 2021

letting go surely is the hardest part 😭💚 btw love your story 💖

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yzabel Gonzales
07:55 Feb 25, 2021

WONDERFUL 👏🏻👏🏻😍

Reply

Caitlin Moll
07:56 Feb 25, 2021

Thank you!!💕☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yzabel Gonzales
08:23 Feb 25, 2021

I cried while reading this 😭

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yzabel Gonzales
08:22 Feb 25, 2021

proud si Jake 👏🏻👏🏻😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yzabel Gonzales
08:22 Feb 25, 2021

sanaol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yzabel Gonzales
08:21 Feb 25, 2021

😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yzabel Gonzales
08:21 Feb 25, 2021

sabi ng jowa ko ang galing mo daw 🙌🏻💯

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yzabel Gonzales
08:21 Feb 25, 2021

My Bros said this is great ☺️💕

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.