0 comments

Romance Happy

 It wasn’t easy getting this far,  I’d worked for years.  I’d spent most of my nights working on it.  Now in the next few hours I would know if my dream would be forefilled.  Looking at the clock he told me that he’d call around 2pm,  as he would have made his decision by then.  So it was now 11.58 am and I knew I had to do something to take my mind off the impending call.  I was currently trying to watch television and although the movie was good it did not relax my mind.  I switched the television off and put on some music.  My favourite band INXS blasted out of my stereo.   I sang along with them.  “I need you tonight.”  I sang out sounding like a cat was being strangled.

As I sang I realised that I had forgotten about the phone call.  It was due to this realisation that I thought about the call.  I switched off the music and noticed only 5 minutes had gone by.   Grabbing my purse I decided to go shopping.  However looking around at the shops there was nothing, I wanted nothing more than my dream to come true.

I decided to carry on shopping, trying on a royal blue dress.  It looked good on me, it  fit me perfectly and the colour was well suited.  I thought of buying it, however I could not.  Looking at the chock on my phone it was now 1pm and I had only one hour to wait.  

Driving home I thought of the possiblities of my dream coming into fruition.  I thought how I would feel if it was a yes.  The thought of that happening made me feel excited.  My joy was taken over by disappointment.  There was still a chance of a no.  My stomach was filled with butterflies and the nerves were starting to get the better of me.

Fortunately I made it home before I was shaking.  I knew I had to pull myself together I didn’t want to sound foolish or nervous when the call came.  I looked at the clock on my phone it was now 1.19pm.  Not long to go.

I went inside and thought if I cleaned up it would be 2 before I knew it.  I went into the laundry, but it looks like my fiancé had done the washing.  I went to do the dishes, they were all done.  I wondered what he was doing, he helped me with the housework but he has never done this much.  I then noticed the vacuuming had been done.  I wondered if my darling man was suffering sort of breakdown.

I searched the house but he was nowhere to be found.  He knew about the impending call and I thought he would be with me as a show of support.  I was about to call him when he walked through the door with several bags of groceries.  “I’m going to cook a celebration dinner,” he announced, putting the bags down on the kitchen counter top.

“You are jumping the gun aren’t you?   Anyway where is my fiancé and what have you done with him.”

He slapped me on the backside.  “Get out of here, I have a meal to prepare,” he told me, pushing me out the door.  “I have to marinate the meat.

The phone rang,  it was early.  I hoped that this was a good sign.  “Hello,” I said.

“He dumped me, can you believe it,” I heard Sophie cry.  “I thought he liked me,  we were talking about going on holiday together.”

“Sophie,”  I spoke.  “I’d love to talk but I’m waiting on an important phone call.

“Oh sorry is that today.  I’ll let you go.  Good luck,” Sophie said before hanging up.

No sooner had I put the phone down and it rang again .  I picked it and my heart skipped a beat as it was now 2.01pm. 

“Hello,” I spoke

“Miss Shaw,”the voice said.

I didn’t recognise the voice and it was female and my caller was male, however I thought it could it be his assistant and my heart sank.  The only reason his assistant would call was the answer was no.

“Yes,” I responded.

“Miss Shaw, my name is Zoe Richards,  I’m calling from visa.  Today we would like to offer you a card with a low fee.”

“I’m sorry,  I can’t talk,” I told her.

“What would be the best time to call.”

“I’m not interested,” 

I hung up before I could hear another word.  It was after 2 and no call, however he said around 2.   I went to sit down,  I picked up the bridal magazine I was reading.  I had my idea of the dress I wanted, however seeing all those beautiful gowns, I changed my mind every few seconds.  I started to read about 9 ways of adding colour to your wedding.  One tip was with cocktails, I didn’t even know if I wanted cocktails or if I could afford them.  

So much planning with a wedding,  it was six months away.  My friend Rita married last year and she had a year.  My gorgeous fiancé had only asked me three days ago and all we had planned was the date.    Last night I could barely sleep with thoughts of my wedding.  I meant our wedding.  Ever since I had said yes to his proposal,  I referred it to as my wedding.  Fortunately my caring fiancé didn’t mind.  “Go plan your wedding,  God forbid I get the cake wrong.  I’ll never forgive myself.

My parents had put money away for my wedding, which was now a tidy sum.  My parents had a small elegant wedding and they wanted their only daughter to afford nothing but the best.  On top of that I had some savings, however I didn’t want to use too much as we had just bought a house and had a morgage. Then we spoke of having children,  would I go back to work or would I stay at home.

I was starting to wonder if chasing my dream was such a good idea.  It was going to cost me a fortune to hire the venue of my dreams,  it sat by the lake and was sorrounded by large trees.  I’d been there for a wedding a twenty years ago and fell in love with the place.

The phone rang.  “Hello,” I answered.

“Miss Shaw this is Bernard Lee from weddings by the lake,” the caller said.

“Hello Mr Lee.”

“Miss Shaw good news we can do the date you requested.  I’m sorry for making you wait.  Our computers went down.”

“Oh thank you Mr Lee.

“We will book you in for your first visit on the 17th.  You can let us know what you have in mind.”

I bade farewell to Mr Lee and hung up the phone.  I then let a loud whoop.  My dream to have my wedding was going to happen.  Now all I had to do was plan the dresses, the cake, flowers, tableware and settings.   “Oh thie next six months I’m going to so busy I wouldn’t have time to sit down,  However I couldn’t wait to start.

November 04, 2020 09:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.