0 comments

Friendship Middle School

1.

“Pass me the ball!”

Sarah could hear the little girl’s voice in her head, as if she was right there in front of her. Sarah stood in front of a towering skyscraper- a lean, ebony-black majestic edifice designed with modern-era architecture pierced proudly through the ground towards the sky. The cars swished past behind her, like swishes of colors. People kept walking and talking, minding their own worlds and not stopping a moment to spare a glance.

Sarah was no different from the crowd. She already had a mountain of stress and work to deal with. The last thing she could do was to stop in the middle of everything and stare deeply into one of the monochrome, monotonous buildings of the city. However, she halted seeing a wrinkled, stooped tree beside the building.

She felt as suddenly someone pulled brakes on her, and she could not budge from her place. The tree was still the same: wrinkled brown bark, haphazardly grown branches and thick green foliage adorned by fragrant white flowers. She never knew what that tree was called, oddly.

…. “Here you go!” the girl shouted back, throwing the ball towards her friend, “Catch!”

The tiny girl caught the ball immediately, thanks to her appreciative reflexes.  She wore a white T-shirt just like her classmates, with red collar and red embroidered short sleeves. The school logo proudly rested on the chest pocket.

“ C'mon, Naisa!” she called one of her friends, who was sitting below the flowery tree.

“You guys play. I wanna have a break!” she replied back, twirling one of the white flowers in her tiny fingers, “Plus, I like this flower. It smells so sweet. Would Miss allow us to take one in class?”......

2.

“Stop the car.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

A black Mercedes stopped in front of the building. It shone smugly under the late morning Sun. From the passenger seat behind, the black glass was pulled down to reveal a young lady in her late twenties. Her hair was styled into a prune bun and a thick black-framed spectacled rested on her button-nose. Even behind her spectacles, you could see her eyes carefully studying the tall edifice beside her.  

Her face showed no emotions. She seemed rather unfazed and her sea-blue eyes pierced fiercely across the building, trying to pierce through the concrete.

The bell finally rang, and all the students rushed to the grounds. It seemed as if a dam was opened and a wave of children came crashing through the staircase and past the long corridor. The air was filled with chatters, laughter and the delicious fragrance of their tiffin carriers.

She, Sarah and two other girls ran to their usual place of hangout: beneath the tree where white flowers bloomed every February. They sat on the cold ground, folding their legs and taking out their food.

“So let us start the meeting…..”

“Miss? Ms. Hassan? You said that you have an urgent meeting to attend,” the chauffeur asked timidly. He did not want another series of lectures from her.

“Huh?..... Oh, yeah, sure. Please move on,” Naisa replied, still fixated on the gnarly and old yet luxuriant  tree beside the luxurious skyscraper.

3.

“Mommy, why did we stop here?”

Prisha zoned out suddenly seeing the old dame after a very old time. She had not realized she had been on the same old road after a long time. The air was sweet and cool: a refreshing reminder that spring has arrived. You could occasionally hear the coos of cuckoos, but Prisha seemed to hear nothing.

“Spring has come,” Maria sighed, trying her best to be poetic as much as a kid could be.

“Stop trying to sound old,” Naisa said, pushing Maria slightly.

The rest two chuckled. Maria was not wrong though. It was only slightly cooler, and the Sun smiled rather sweetly. The cuckoos would chirp sweetly. The trees were adorned with polished green leaves and new wreaths of flowers. Everybody was in a good mood. Happiness everywhere….

“So… what will we play today?”.....

“Ma…..” the child looked up at his mother, curious. Prisha came back to her worldly senses. She looked down at the tiny figure holding her fingers. His cheeks were puffy and due to his pale skin his cheek seemed to be flushed. He was like a small cute ball of dumpling. Like she used to be……

“Nothing, dear. Let’s go,” Prisha smiled at her son.

4.

“..Oh darling, I’m so happy! You’re finally back in the country!” a voice beamed from the other side.

“Me too, Amma,” Maria forced herself to sound happy. She had a lot of work left back in the States, and the last thing she needed was more on her schedule. Thankfully, she would be able to complete her work online. Maria doubted that was possible: she could already imagine the whole family waiting hungrily for her. No, not only her parents and Monica- the whole extended family. Even those she had never met before.

“Come home quickly, sweetheart! I wanted to fetch you from the airport, but everyone's here, and your Abba and Monica had office... I'm sure you understand, hon..." the lady tried to explain, "I can’t wait to see my baby girl!” she smiled widely.

“Same, Amma. I can’t wait to see you all. Reaching in two hours. Bye!” she tried her best to sound cheerful.

“Bye, darling! Everyone’s waiting!” she chirped. The phone was then hung up.

“Yeah, they are. Didn’t believe an awkward, shy, obese kid would make this far, did they?” Maria grumbled to herself silently.

She scanned the city around her. It has changed, for better or for worse. Her eyes stopped suddenly at a green silhouette shyly standing beside a majestic building.

Her car rapidly zoomed past it, but half a second was enough for her to recognize the tree.

Maria stood beneath the old tree at the side of the volleyball court. They were nowhere to be seen. She had been here for five minutes only, but it seemed like five hours. Where are they?

“Mariiiiii!!!” 

She heard a voice squeal her name. It was Sarah.

“Where were you all! Do you have any idea how long I have been standing here? It’s been an hour!” Maria complained.

“No, it’s not,” Sarah pouted, “It’s been two minutes only…”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Nope.”

“Does the Sun rise from the east?”

“Yeah..”

“So you agree.”

“But that’s not-”

“C'mon, you two. Stop fighting. Remember the golden rule of our club?”Naisa said, trying to act wise as usual.

“But-”

“Anyways,” Naisa cut off Sarah, holding her hand, “ We have a secret order for you, Mari!”

“That is….” Prisha came towards the group carrying a white box…

The three shouted together, “Happy birthday!! Always keep smiling!...”

Maria chuckled to herself. She missed them. A lot. The car sped towards its destination smoothly. Surprisingly, there were no traffic today on the road. She rested her head on the glass window of the taxi...

Where are they now?

April 23, 2021 16:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.