Redeemed (sequel to Redemption)

Written in response to: Write about someone who needs to face their past in order to move forward.... view prompt

3 comments

Christian Contemporary

“If there is a God, why does he let so many bad things happen?”

As if to answer his question, a knock came from the door.

“Who is it?” he called out.

“Jim, it’s Rob and Rosaline. We wanted to bring you some of Rosaline’s homemade biscuits.”

Jim got up in a hurry, and he opened the door. 

“Why, might I ask, do you want to share biscuits with me? It’s nearly noon, and I just had breakfast not too long ago.”

Rob’s wife spoke.

“Honey, we figured that was the case, but thankfully, Rob convinced me not to make you a full meal! We care about you, Jim. Plus, we’d like to talk to you, if we may.” The woman’s black hair marvelously captured her dark brown facial features. The couple seemed just about perfect for each other, standing side by side, filled with confidence, and perhaps filled with something more.

“Alright. I can’t turn you away now. Come on in. I don’t have any big plans for the rest of the afternoon anyway.” Rob and Rosaline smiled at each other as they crossed over the threshold and made themselves at home.”

Rosaline set the basket of biscuits down on the counter. The three of them crowded onto Jim’s small couch. 

“Alright. So what was the real reason for your visit?”

“C’mon, Jim, can’t a fellow neighbor be neighborly toward his brother? Can’t things be done out of kindness anymore?”

“It’s awfully hard to find kindness in this world of ours. Plus, I’ve shared enough meals at your table to know that you, Rob Miller, are a talker. So what’s up?”

“I’ll try to get to the point. You know how there’s so much hate, evil, and division in this world? Well, it wasn’t meant to be that way. This was never God’s plan. He didn’t want his perfect creation to rebel against him, but that’s what sin did to us. The devil whispered in our ears and said that ‘you don’t need God. You can live on your own just fine!’ Sin made us broken and separated from God forever. But, ever since the beginning of time, God wanted to be with you. He wanted to walk with you and live by your side in complete wholeness with him.

But, we have all sinned and fallen short of his standards, every single one of us, no matter how hard we try. We’re all broken because of sin. The Bible says in Romans 3:23, ‘For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.’ And for our sinning, rebellion, and brokenness, we deserve to die. We deserve eternal separation from God forever. Romans 6:23 says, ‘For the wages of sin is death.’ God doesn’t want you to stay in your sin, though. He made a way for you to be free. He loves you so much that he sent his one and only son, Jesus, to pay the price for your sin. ‘For God so loved the world that he sent his one and only son so that whoever believes in him shall not perish. but have eternal life,’ John 3:16. He died the death that you deserved. 

Ephesians 2:4-9 says, ‘But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.’ 

And the best part is that Jesus didn’t stay dead; sin and death have no power over him! He’s the Son of God. He was raised to life, and has now ascended into heaven, seated beside our Father.

Now, since your past, present, and future sins have been washed away, you are guaranteed to have a spot by your Savior’s side for eternity. So now, you're debt free, and declared right and guilt-free by God.

This was God’s plan from the beginning. He doesn’t want you to walk alone. He wants you to come to him and become a new creation. All you have to do is what Romans 10:9-11 says: ‘If you confess with your mouth ‘Jesus is Lord’, and believe in your heart God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. Anyone who believes in him shall never be put to shame.’

Don’t you see, Jim? God has incredible plans for you, if you will just confess how you’ve sinned against him, and believe!”

“Wow, Rob. You should be a preacher or something. That’s a lot for a man to think about.” 

“Allow me to pray for you. Dear God, I thank you for Jim. Thank you for putting him in my life for this very reason. God, I believe that you are at work in Jim tonight. I pray that you would guide him and lead him in your ways and for your glory. Help him to fix his eyes upon you and to learn to trust your plans. Thank you, God, for bestowing your goodness upon this threshold. Please give Jim the strength to call upon you. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.” Feeling compelled by something deep within him, Jim reached out and embraced his friend. 

“Rob, thank you for taking the time to do this. I… I don’t even know what to say.”

“It just means that God is at work in you. He led us here today for a reason. His plans and ways aren’t without reasoning. I’m so thankful that we got to talk. So, will you consider coming to church with us next week to learn more about God?”

“Yes, Rob. I want to learn more.”

“Praise God! I believe the best way for mountains to be moved is for you to experience them yourself. God has power, if only you will let him show you.” 

They hugged again, including Rosaline. 

“Now who wants some biscuits before they get cold?”

Releasing a small laugh, Rob and Jim comply. 

September 02, 2022 14:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Dhwani Jain
16:16 Sep 02, 2022

WHY ARE YOU LEAVING REEDSY, FLOW?????

Reply

TJ Squared
16:56 Sep 02, 2022

cause I just need to for now

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:04 Sep 03, 2022

ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.