0 comments

Fiction Romance


By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. Well, not literally. But still it was a beautiful thought. They were as crimson red, dry and brittle like my fragile heart. The sunset was a gorgeous golden yellow melting into the horizon. Everything the light touched turned into bright gold, including the shop where I had just had my favourite tea and strawberry swirl cheese cake. 

There was a new line of drinks the shop had introduced. I fell in love with their limited edition Pumpkin Pie latte in a heartbeat. It was warm, spicy and perfect for autumn. 

I stood in front the café mesmerized by the afternoon ambience and smiled.

‘What a great time to write my story…’ I thought.

Ten minutes later, I was in the comforts of my apartment on the third floor. It was a warm and cosy. The radiator was working fine. Mrs. Brent the landlady was doing a fine job taking care of the building and the rent was affordable. 

I took off my blazer and threw it casually on the couch. I did have a coat hanger by the door but I felt too lazy to use it to day.

Before my inspiration ran out on me, I sat down at my desk and to begin my writing. There were two conditions my editor gave me. Number one: Write when the urge comes and two: Give the story a good ending.

Of course, there were deadlines to meet and they ranged from a month to a year. In the past ten years, I had written three high fantasy trilogies, eight science fiction novels and nineteen short stories under the pseudo name Xavier Hart.

I hated the lime light so my publicist came up with bright Idea of hiring an actor who would pose as Xavier Hart. After familiarising with all my work, he didn’t just become my image. To my annoyance he became my biggest fan.

Imagine being reasonably harassed each week by an extremely handsome, intelligent, blue eyed blond. Now divide that into seven and half years.

I sighed deeply, as I finished my first sentenced. Then my phone rang.

Normally, I’d put it on vibration, when I start working but today, it had slipped my mind completely.

I frowned as I read the caller ID and cut the call. I put the phone away and I resumed typing.

A few seconds later, it was ringing again. Like before, I cut the line and put my phone on ‘do not disturb’ mode.

Three sentences later, my land line started ringing.

I swore as I stood up to deal with my troubling caller.

“Jean, I told you never to call me while I’m working!” I said sternly.

“Calm down Sam! I’m just checking on you. How is my favourite writer doing?” Jean asked cheerfully.

He sure has a lot of nerve especially after the last lecture I gave him.

“I’m fine. And no thank you I don’t appreciate….”

“When I call or when I check on you?” he rudely cut in.

Already, he was driving my brain cells mad.

“Both, you fool! Both!” I yelled.

“Okay. Okay, sweet heart. Don’t lose cool over me. I also want to let you know I will be in the neighbourhood next week."

“Oh, no…he’s at again. Every time he pays me a visit I have to come up with an elaborate plan of eluding him.”   

“Well, I, um… I won’t be around because I will be at my dad’s.”

“Really? But your dad will be with me when I come over”, he responded. “Samantha K. Foster you’re getting sloppy. I actually like the last excuse you made. I had a blast at that charity event.”

“You’re mocking me, aren’t you?”  

“Mocking my favourite writer of all time? Never dream of it”, Jean replied. 

“Was he being sarcastic or just annoying…?”

“Anyway, I better get off the line, before my agent has the same look you have right now. See later, sweetie.”

For some odd reason, I felt exhausted. My motivation had fizzled but it hadn’t left me.

I sat back down to my comfortable and slightly posh Brazilian chair to resume my story.

The plot revolved around Warrior princess called Nayi, who was in search of a way of defeating her enemy, the dark enchantress Allure……………

The dark enchantress had plagued the 10 planets for nearly a hundred centuries and Nayi was the only one who could bring an end to Allure’s reign. Allure had nearly done everything she could to the young warrior princess from fulfilling her destiny. But luck was on the warrior princess’s side. 

Nayi was in search of the great Riddle. It was the only way she could find out how to defeat the dark enchantress. There was an ancient tribe, the Sirens. The were holders of the secret but they have not been seen for almost a hundred years and no one knows where they hide.

Nayi could search for clues of their whereabouts in traces of their ancient past. Floyd, Nayi’s best friend, had been helping her on her mission and had just made a phenomenal discovery.

“Nayi! Nayi! You wont believe what I have just discovered” , he cried with great excitement.

The two adventures had settled on a dwarf planet that drifted on the edge of the Zayen star system. They had found out one of the clues to finding the Sirens was this particular planet.

“What is it, Floyd? What got you so jumpy this morning?” Nayi asked after being woken up from her nap so suddenly.

“You have to come with me! Its Huge. I took several shots of it but…YOU JUST HAVE TO SEE IT!” Floyd exclaimed. 

“Quiet, Floyd!” hissed Nayi. “Do you want Allure’s cronies to discover us? Remember we are also on the run!”

“I know, I know. Until you find a way of defeating her, you can’t face her. But this will be the biggest clue we’ve ever found”, responded quietly.

“Let me pack our mobile camper first”, Nayi said as she stood up from her sleeping ha-mock. Stepped outside and snapped her fingers. The tent in which they slept folded itself into a cube the size of a small stone.

Floyd led the way. The location of his discovery was not too far. In an underground tunnel, with a few turns and twists, there was a huge cave with mural paintings of the Sirens.

The paintings were indeed a great spectacle to see. They showed the Zayen star system down to the last detail. 

“You know what else is amazing about this place…?” Nayi said with a gleam in her eyes.

“What?” Floyd asked innocently. 

“This stone wall is actually an interactive map and if I’m not mistaken, it should show us the way to the Sirens”, responded Nayi.

Floyd looked puzzled.

“How can you tell that it’s interactive? I mean this painting could be more than a hundred years old. The Sirens couldn’t have possessed technology to create interactive two-dimensional wall paintings”, argued Floyd.

“True. But you’re forgetting something, Floyd. They were talented magicians. Their magic was so good they would have rivalled Allure’s power. But destiny is a funny thing”, explained Nayi. “Besides there’s panel with a hand print on the bottom right.”

“Wow, you are right! You got sharp eyes, Nayi. I guess I was in a rush to find you”, commented Floyd.

Nayi didn’t waste any more time. She placed her hand on the panel and a few seconds later the whole mural became alive, with moving planets and travel routes which all seemed familiar except for one.

…...I paused. I’d been so immersed in the story I didn’t realise it was quarter past ten in the evening.

Like an enthusiastic ballet dancer, I was pleased with what I had done. The story had a good vibe and was going in the right direction. Yes it didn’t have an autumn feel yet but it was getting there. All I had to do was to guide my heroin to her destination. But for now, a good night’s sleep was what I needed the most. 

I dragged myself away from my desk and headed for my room for the night. After brushing my teeth and dampening my face, I was ready to hit the hay.

That night I had a dream. I was Nayi and I was on my way to the Sirens. I fought giants along the way, narrowly escaped Allure’s monster pets and lost Floyd in a heated battle with Allure’s right hand man Degus (who had a striking resemblance with Jean).

When I met the Sirens their leader led me to great riddle. It was a room filled with nonsensical painted tiles. I was told to rearrange them but no matter how had I tried, I failed.

The next day, I woke up. The sun was up and shining brightly. I looked at my phone. It almost eleven.

“Did I sleep that long…?” I asked myself.

Suddenly, my doorbell rang. I quickly got dressed in my white and blue robe, adjusted my hair and headed for the door.

“Who is it?” I asked.

“It’s me, Veronica”, replied a woman’s voice.

I checked the peephole on the door. It was definitely Veronica. She was one of the few people I could stand. She was a super model for Channel. She was an intelligent and easy going woman. But when push comes to shove she was fierce as a lioness. She was my best friend for almost ten years. 

I quickly unlocked the door and let her in. 

“Veronica, I wasn’t expecting you. I thought you were in Sweden”, I said.

“Oh, Sweden is a bore without you. I missed you and hoped on the first flight I could find. How have you been?” she asked. “You look like you just woke up.”

“Yeah, I just did. Want some breakfast?”

“No, no, just some coffee”, she said as she settled comfortably in my sitting room.  

I went to the kitchen and started preparing coffee machine.

“How’s the writing going?” Veronica asked.

“It’s great. I just started yesterday”, I replied. 

“Marvellous! Let me know the moment the story is published. I can only afford to read your short stories in my busy schedule. I don’t even have time to daydream. Adrian won’t allow it.”

“Oh, Ver…but at least your job takes all over the world”, I said as waited for the coffee to boil.

“True. But the sites can’t compare to the amount of fun we have when we are together”, she responded wilfully.

“Oh, no. I know that look, Ver. You want to take me out shopping, don’t you?” 

“Why not?” she asked. “It’s been ages.”

“It’s been a four months.”

“You will love the fall fashion this year. It literally screams your name”, Veronica said with a beaming smile.

A few hours later, we were at the airport, with only our hand bags. The flight from San Francisco to New York City was surprisingly fast, especially if you are on first class.

Veronica led the way to her favourite shopping spots and we did what big girls do. Shopped till we dropped. She was right about how I would love the new season’s fashion. There was this brown coat that reached the knees and felt a warm glove on my body. It had big dark chocolate buttons and a smart collar. I just loved it.

“Samantha, if you don’t get this coat, I will”, Veronica said after look at me from top to bottom. “You look AMAZING!”

“Thanks Ver. There’s no way I’m leaving this behind”, I responded.

I was quite thrilled about the shopping experience and so was Veronica who practically ordered an entire wardrobe. In the evening we had dinner at her favourite restaurant and watched a live performance of a famous jazz musician at an exclusive club. I even got his autograph. 

By the time we got back home to San Francisco, Adrian, Veronica’s agent had thoroughly lectured her on taking leave without notice. She didn’t feel a shred of guilt as she got on the plane back to Sweden. So Veronica. 

When I was back home I reluctantly, continued my story. Once, I had my rhythm, there was no turning back. I decided to use my dream as a reference.

Nayi did find the Sirens. The showed her the great riddle, a puzzle room. Using the power of her mind she envisioned the answer, the red brandishing sword. 

On a fated day on her home planet, Nayi confronted the dark enchantress, Allure. The battle was intense, and Nayi was injured.

But in a final attack, Nayi used a remaining strength to land a finishing blow on Allure, ending her life and her reign of tyranny.

The red brandishing sword magically turn itself into a brilliant ruby studded crown. With a promise etched inside the ring.

“Only when darkness reigns again, show the red sword shine again.”

It had taken almost a week and a half to finish. But the ending was worth it. It was a chilly Wednesday. I wanted to celebrate my achievement. So I put on my brand new coat over my favourite pair of denims, put on a little makeup and tied up my auburn hair in a ponytail. I completed the look with a pair of shiny miniature teardrop earrings.

It was a lively night at the bar. John the bar owner was working that night.

“You look like in you are good mood tonight”, he said. “Anything special happened lately?”

I smiled and said “Not particularly, I just had a great week.”

“Well, you’re in luck. I just got this seasons beer exclusively from Willow B’s distillery. It’s on the house,” he said as he pushed a tall glass of cold dark beer in front me.

“Wow, thanks John. I appreciate it”, I said.

John resumed serving the other regulars, as I took a long a sip of my drink. 

Suddenly, a familiar face showed up next to me. I would have been thoroughly embarrassed if it was my editor. But…

“Sam! What a surprise”, Jean greeted. “I didn’t expect to find you here.”

“Funny, neither did I”, I responded in great honesty. 

At that moment, I took the longest sip I could muster and was just about to make my great escape.

But Jean was not dim. He hooked his arm around mine and started leading me to a table.

I felt my face turn red just like the red autumn leaves outside.

“Oh, no you don’t, Miss Foster. I’m not letting you escape”, he said.

“How did you find me?” I asked.

“I didn’t”, Jean laughed. “Fate did.”

“There you go spouting nonsense, again.”

Jean went quiet as I realised he was staring at me intently.

“What? Is there something wrong with me?” I asked nervously.

“You look beautiful tonight, Sam.”

I was slightly taken aback. It was the first time Jean had given me such a compliment and not joke about it.

Little did I know, that it would not be the last but that’s a story for another day

The end.






October 16, 2020 22:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.