4 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Warning: This story contains an instance of strong language.

The entrance hall of the Warrior’s Guild was much the same as Luthar remembered. The dark grey stone was reassuringly constant, as were the weather-beaten windows which looked out. Smoke rose from the chimney as fires were lit inside to protect against the first chills of autumn. Heaving his bag onto his shoulder, Luthar stepped forward and pushed open the door into his home.

Forever reliable, Terence sat at his desk, taking a gulp of something from a flask. The wind disturbed his papers as Luthar shut the door, setting him to grumbling.

‘Shut that fucking door, these boys don’t set fires for nought!’ A voice that was once terrifying thunder had weakened to little more than a spring breeze. ‘Who enters the guild?’

He leaned forward over the desk, apparently straining to see. Under his curtained white hair, his one eye now glowed with a milky complexion. The creases in his old face deepened as he strained further.

‘Luthar Shoresmith, returning from Jakai. It is good to see you once more Terence.’ Luthar said cheerfully, trying to keep on Terence’s good side.

‘Luthar? Come here my boy, my sight isn’t what it was.’ He beckoned Luthar around the desk and touched Luthar’s face with weathered hands. ‘You’ve changed, and I don’t mean your beard. There’s a sadness to you now.’

Touched by Terence’s concern, Luthar sighed. It had been a long journey and he felt weary from the road, but the burden of his mistakes in Jakai travelled with him. He would never be free of what his anger had made him do.

‘I did things in Jakai that I’m not proud of, I’m not sure I’ll ever be free of them.’ He lacked the words to describe to Terence how he felt.

‘As we all have. But remember this, nobody ever got to the top by just going up. There are steps sideways and you occasionally fall back down a little way. You’ll get where you’re meant to be, no doubt about that.’

‘Thanks Terence. How much do I owe?’

‘Worry about it later, get off to the hall and get some food in your belly. Chadwick’s back aswell, hopefully you can bring some of his cheer back.’ Terence grasped Luthar’s hand before turning back to his desk and ringing a bell to summon some unlucky page. ‘Leave your bags here, I’ll see them to your room safely.’

Luthar nodded and turned towards the great hall, his belly rumbling away. He nearly collided with a young lad who was sprinting towards the front desk, obviously eager to please his master.

‘Sorry sir!’ He called over his shoulder to Luthar as he ran past.

The noise and smell of the great hall was welcome after days on the road. It was busy, each of the three long tables housed dozens of men as they ate, drank, and smoked their pipes. A glance at the apprentice tables told Luthar that there were still plenty more up and coming men of the guild being trained. He scanned the men for familiar faces and his eyes rested upon Chadwick, sat between Preston and some other man he didn’t know. Luthar headed for an empty space on the bench opposite and grinned at his old teacher as he sat down.

‘Welcome back Luthar, it’s been a long time.’ Chadwick slurred his words slightly as he spoke between mouthfuls of bread.

‘I’m glad to be home. How are you?’

‘Aye, things are steady, new apprentice just got promoted so thought I’d stay for a few days.’

‘How fares Ezekiel? I can’t see him anywhere.’

Chadwick sighed and dropped the piece of bread he was holding. The men either side of Chadwick stopped speaking and bowed their heads a little way.

‘Get some food down you, we’ll speak of Ezekiel later.’ Chadwick’s tone was gentle, but firm. Luthar could feel concern rising in his belly, he hoped nothing bad had happened.

Luthar helped himself to bread and beef stew, washed down with ale. Another change he noticed was Elisabeth wasn’t serving the men as she used to. Only young pages bore the jugs of ale and plates of food to their masters. He voiced his concern to Chadwick.

‘Where is Elisabeth? Normally she would be serving the evening meal.’

‘You’ve been gone too long Luthar, she left along with Lady Luella a moon or so after you did. Mage’s business so we didn’t ask.’ He must have seen the sadness on Luthar’s face, he softened his tone and gave a sympathetic smile. ‘She was always bound for their order; it just wasn’t meant to be for you two. Try and put her out of your mind, you’ll do fine without her. Besides, Leyton has lined up a squire for you, that’ll keep you busy.’

Feeling a lump rising in his throat, Luthar made his excuses and left the hall. He headed for the stables to see Stepper and get some fresh air. The entrance hall was empty, even Terence had left his post for his evening meal. His footsteps thudded off the hard wood floor and echoed around the huge space. He opened the door into the last of the evening sun and stepped out into the cool air, taking in deep lungfuls to clear his head.

Stepper looked in fine shape, since Luthar had arrived she had been fed and brushed by Marcus, the guild’s ostler, and stabled for the night. Luthar stood next to her, stroking her neck, and enjoying the calm he often felt in the solitude of the stables.

‘Looks like it’s all changed here girl. Chadwick was right, I have been gone too long.’

‘Come Luthar, I have something to show you.’ Chadwick’s voice behind him made him jump. He can’t have been more than a few steps behind when he left.

Chadwick led him out of the stables and across the yard towards the rear of the great hall without speaking. The grass grew long beyond the armoury, with only a narrow path winding its way to the fenced cemetery. The iron gate squealed on its hinges as Chadwick held it open for Luthar to enter, the air felt colder in this place, and the presence of the dead seemed to press in on Luthar, suffocating him. Chadwick marched on down the gravel path, around the great monument to Oscar, the Teradithan soldier who had established the warrior’s guild late in the first age. Luthar glanced at the carving of the great man, his features were being worn smooth by centuries of rain and wind, giving him a slightly unnerving and grotesque appearance.

Chadwick knelt at a gravestone that had yet to succumb to the moss and damp. His left hand gripped the top as he bowed his head and said a silent prayer. Luthar’s heart threatened to explode when he read the simple engraving in Chadwick’s shadow.

Ezekiel of the guild

Born – 665A2

Died – 17A3

Whilst he had never trained directly under him, Luthar had always felt grateful for his stern guidance and unwavering support. He was often sympathetic to Luthar’s troubles, offering sound advice and never criticising him unfairly.

‘What happened?’ Luthar asked when Chadwick rose from his prayer.

‘The demon sickness caught him. He found the lump in his throat in mid-summer, not two moons later he was gone. The only blessing was he never looked like he was suffering, did his duties until the end.’

‘I’m so sorry, I know he meant a lot to you.’

‘He did, but no time to spend in sorrow, there is much to be done Luthar.’ Chadwick’s face hardened as he turned to look at him. ‘I heard what happened in Jakai, seems you forgot my teaching and the values of the guild. Killing an innocent man is not something that can be forgotten just because you won a few fights in the arena.’

‘I know. I’ve done what I can to make it right. It’s a burden I will have to bear for the rest of my life.’

‘Done what you can? What did you say to his family? Did you offer to help them now they have no one to earn their keep? Or did you pay for his burial costs? Tell me Luthar, what have you done to make this right?’

Chadwick had advanced on him as he spoke, a blazing fury engulfed his old teacher now, the like of which Luthar had never seen before. He was foaming at the corners of his mouth as he spat the last words at him.

‘I couldn’t do any of that, I was in prison. I could only leave for training and my fights.’

‘What about after?’ Chadwick was shouting now, his voice boring into Luthar’s mind. ‘Or did you get on the first ship home and run away like a coward?’

Luthar stood staring at Chadwick, no words entered his mind. Chadwick met his stare, panting in his rage. He was close enough now that Luthar could smell the ale on his breath, he suspected he’d had more than his fill. He took another step towards him, grabbed Luthar’s shirt, and pulled him closer until they were nearly nose to nose. He smelled like a brewery.

‘As I thought, you ran away from your problems and tried to get back home to your girl. Well, she’s not here anymore and better for it, she’d do no good with you.’

Bringing Elisabeth into this was over the line, she had nothing to do with his mistakes. He’d made them and he would deal with them like a man. Luthar swung his right arm under Chadwick’s and landed a perfect uppercut onto his chin, sending him staggering backwards.

Chadwick spat out some blood, before wiping his mouth across the back of his hand. He examined the red streak on his skin for a moment, before launching himself at Luthar’s midriff, sending them both to the floor.

Luthar managed to land a couple of good punches on the side of Chadwick’s head as he landed on top of him, he returned an elbow to Luthar’s nose. The metallic smell of blood filled his nostrils as they rolled over on the gravel path. Their roll came to an abrupt halt as the crashed into the side of a dull grey headstone, damp with moss. Luthar smashed another fist into Chadwick’s jaw as he sat up, trying to push Luthar off him.

Strong arms grabbed Luthar from behind, dragging him away. He kicked out at Chadwick as he tried to follow before he too succumbed to being restrained. He was hauled to his feet and two men stood between them, keeping them apart. Luthar could recognise Preston, Flint’s old teacher, the other man was short and built like a blacksmith, with a shaved head and ridiculous moustache.

‘What is happening here?’ Leyton strode through the small crowd. His voice was calm and steady as it always was, yet he now exuded a feeling of power that no man could argue against. He was totally in control of the situation before he’d even done anything.

Leyton surveyed the scene without another word. Luthar’s rage was beginning to subside, and he realised the gravity of what had just happened. He’d fought with his oldest and truest friend. The only other person he’d been able to count on in life was now dead and he’d had a fight on his grave. This was worse than the shame he felt in Jakai.

‘Luthar, my quarters now.’ Leyton turned and watched him get marched by Preston and the man who had restrained him back to the guild. Luthar strained his ears to try and hear what he said to Chadwick.

‘Sleep it off Chadwick, I’ll speak to you in the morning.’ Was all Luthar could hear of Leyton’s voice before the three of them rounded the corner of the building.

The walk through the entrance hall, up the stairs and down the long corridor to Leyton’s rooms passed in seconds. Preston and the other man, who Luthar eventually recognised as Avery, left him sat in Leyton’s office without saying a word to him. They didn’t need to say anything, their disapproval at what had happened was written all over their faces.

Moments later, Leyton strode in and hung his coat on a stand by the door. He stood staring at Luthar for a moment, considering his words carefully.

‘What was that about?’ Was all he said, his mask of calmness firmly in place.

‘We were talking about Ezekiel first, then about me in Jakai, Chadwick mentioned Elisabeth and I just…’ Luthar trailed of as he mentioned her name, a lump forming in his throat and starving him of air.

‘I see. Is that a reason to scuffle in the resting place of our fallen brothers?’

‘No, that should never have happened. I’m sorry.’

‘Right. Make sure you keep your temper in check in future. From what I’ve heard recently, you’ve killed an innocent, unarmed man in Jakai and now you’ve assaulted a senior member of the guild in our cemetery. Your conduct is slipping Luthar, this needs sorting now. Am I making myself perfectly clear?’

‘Yes, I understand.’

‘Good. You are meant for great things Luthar, don’t throw it all away. Stop and consider your actions, especially when it affects those you care about.’

‘What are these great things I’m meant for? Everyone seems to enjoy telling me that I’m meant for great things, but not telling me what they are. Can you see how that would drive me mad?’

‘I understand what you are saying, but truth be told I know little more than you do. All I see is one of the most talented swordsmen I have ever trained, with a good heart and strong will. Let’s just concentrate on getting your mind in the right place for now and leave worrying about your future for another day.’ He had been leaning against the wall, but now he took a seat opposite Luthar, leaning forwards over the low table between them. ‘I’ve organised for you to take a squire with you. I suggest you leave tomorrow with him and stay on the road for a piece. I’ve organised some work over in Peccothia for you both, it’ll see you right and maybe you could see the border towers whilst you’re there.’

‘That sounds good, I think I could do with a dose of normality again. What about Chadwick?’

‘He’s taken Ezekiel’s passing quite badly I’m afraid. He’s been drinking too much, and this isn’t the first incident like this. I’m giving him a new squire also, then sending them with Preston and his lad to southern Calladia. There’s no end of work that way on, I’m hoping a good hard slog will get him back to his old self.’

‘Is there anything I can do for him? He was always good to me so I feel like I should help him now.’  

‘Let Chadwick worry about himself for now, you take on your tasks and work on them as you always have. Look after Lucas and teach him well, he could be a big help to you.’

‘Thank you. I was worried I would be expelled from the guild after what’s gone on recently. I know I should be better, but with things that have gone on, I think I’ve let my standards slip.’

‘Don’t worry. Nobody is perfect through their whole life; we all make mistakes and we have to live with them. As for being expelled, well it takes something extremely bad for that to happen. Besides, I have big plans for the guild, and you’re going to be central to them.’

‘Am I? In what way?’

Leyton stood up and walked to a cabinet against the wall near his desk. He rummaged in it for a moment before bringing over a green glass bottle and two glasses which he placed on the table. He poured the liquid with a steady hand and handed a glass to Luthar.

‘A conversation such as this deserves a fine drink.’

April 15, 2022 09:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Graham Kinross
02:36 Apr 22, 2022

How does the date system work in this? Born – 665A2 Died – 17A3 This confused me a bit. Otherwise this was another solid instalment in your series.

Reply

James Grasham
08:20 Apr 22, 2022

Hi Graham, apologies for this. I thought I'd put in a note in another story but I must have missed it :) The dates above written longhand would be: Six hundred and sixty-fifth year of the second age & Seventeenth year of the third age. The second age ended after the year 702A2 when the scholars at Threftall University were finally satisfied that the signing of the treaty of the Three Kingdoms (700A2) had the desired effect and brought peace to the continent.

Reply

Graham Kinross
08:46 Apr 22, 2022

Is it too late to edit the text now?

Reply

James Grasham
10:34 Apr 22, 2022

Yep - once it's been approved then you can't edit the body of the story :( I'll see if I can work it in again in a future story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.