Eddie Goes A-Courting ~A Spring Romance~

Submitted into Contest #188 in response to: Write about a character who would have complete happiness, if it weren’t for that one thing.... view prompt

15 comments

Fantasy Funny Romance

Eddie Goes A-Courting

~A Spring Romance~


“He-elp! He-elp!”


Breaking the tranquility of a March morning, a desperate cry rings across the valley. No man runs to assist, nor even a woman lifts a finger to dial 9-1-1. 

Here and there a lip twitches. An eyebrow raises. Perhaps a chuckle or a sigh escapes. 


“He-elp!”


Again the call resounds. Looks are exchanged, acknowledgements murmured.

“There’s Eddie! You can tell spring is coming.”


Down the road, Eddie searches for the one thing that would give him complete happiness. The One who would be his. Hope in his heart, he strolls through the verdant fields in search of her.


~“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”~


Eddie has never read the words of Jane Austen. Notwithstanding, he believes them with his whole heart. He longs and yearns—and acknowledges, with all of his being, that his existence is incomplete without a helpmeet. And he calls out again in plangent optimism.


“He-elp!”


Across mustard-blooming meadows, through puddles left by recent rains, Eddie forges on. Up the hill, along ditches dappled in sunlight and shadows. Over the road. Through an open gate. There! He espies his potential partner.

Eddie advances, puffing up in his pride as he progresses. The object of his amorous intentions is drab, dusty, and disdainful.

However, her withered wattles and shriveled snood do not deter.


His trailing train transformed to a fabulous feather fan, Eddie oscillates—scintillating, iridescing, coruscating, variegating in the vernal rays. Shimmering scallops of burnished bronze, overlaid with emerald and lapis lazuli, enhance his appearance; declare his desirability. Quills clack, spines rattle in rhythm with his shuffling feet. In short, he puts on quite a show.


Maude is unmoved. She offers neither a morsel of bread nor a sip of water, but rather regards him with a steely eye. First one side, then the other. Shaking her carunculous head and showing Eddie her back, she dismisses his case with prejudice. Her judgment is final. He’s not her type at all.


Alas and alack! What is an ardent admirer to do? He must away, to seek anew. Past the pond he dawdles, disconsolate, and raises his voice again to make the welkin ring—nay, to reverberate!


“He-elp! He-elp…”


Presently, he pauses in his plaintive peregrination to ponder… Perhaps he should wander to the water. To inspect his image in the shimmering surface. Waterfowl watch warily, unsure of this extravagant intruder’s intentions. Reassured by his refulgent reflection, Eddie endeavors again to court a compatible consort. He introduces himself:


“Eddie. Abbreviated appellation of Edward, an English affix. Derived from Old English words ead, meaning 'wealth', 'fortune' or 'prosperous' and wear, meaning 'guardian' or 'protector'. However, harking back to the heritage of my homeland, it might well be Srikar. Which signifies much the same in Hindi or Telugu.”


Unimpressed by Eddie’s orations, the ducks dabble delightedly while a pair of pompous Pomeranian geese glare at the flashy foreigner. Necks extended in less-than-welcoming sensibility, they refuse to reciprocate his cordial conduct.

“And what business have you here?” the gander gruffly grumbles.

“I seek a soulmate. A consort. Completion. A partner. Particularly, a peahen. They seem to be in short supply. He-elp!


The gander, astonished at this unwarranted outpouring of emotion, quickly composes himself and inquires of his colleague,

“My dear, did you hear? He’s in search of a hen!”

“Hen?” says she, surprised. “Buffoon, betake yourself to yonder yard. There’s hens aplenty there.” 

“Ahhh!” Eddie exclaims, agog. At last, occasion to achieve his aspiration. In his impatience, he momentarily misremembers his manners. Without a word of gratitude, he hastily evacuates. The goosely pair stare at the thoughtlessness of his lackluster leave-taking. Eddie is oblivious.


Wending his way henward, he unhesitatingly traipses toward benevolent bovines. The shaggy red Highland heifers have calves. Curious creatures. Wide-eyed and fuzzy-faced miniatures of their mothers. Eddie, indifferent, cruises past cattle and picks up his pace. 


Visions of a veritable Pavo cristatus—a crested companion, feminine in fashion—compel him to continue the chase. Down the dale he dashes, dodging disinterested donkeys gnawing nimbly at the plush purple brushes of thistles. Surprising semi-somnolent sheep mid-chew, Eddie eschews amiability and excuses himself unceremoniously. Ovine observers opine, 

“Indeed, pheasants are fine, as a family, but this brand of outlandish extravagance is peculiar to peafowl!”


Ahead, an egret in regal stance surveys the scene in stoic silence—awaiting the advent of a suitable supper such as a slithery snake or slippery salamander. Eddie avoids an exchange of inane observances, preferring to proceed apace to the aforementioned acreage. Thus, the egret, eagerly expecting delivery of dinner, is deliberately denied dialogue with the wandering would-be wooer. Both blithely go about their business.


€(o)>


The grandiose galliforme gallops and bustles and hustles in haste to his destination. He hears, as he nears, a noisy commotion. A cockerel crying,

“¡Olé!” as two roosters are roistering, boys-will-be-boistering, bluffing and blustering.

“Parry and thrust!” is the fledgling’s request. He’s a late-season, lone adolescent obsessed with the skill of his superiors. “Now, slash with your sabers! Use foils! And feint!” 


“Oh, look! We’re in luck!” All acluck are the ladies. Dismayed and annoyed by repeated displays of the rivalrous boys, they enjoy expectation of interruption. 

“A king, to be sure!” one asserts. “See his crown? We are honored indeed! O sir, we implore and insist—we must meet your needs, if we may!”


As Eddie approaches, the subject he broaches befuddles the goggling group.

“A hen, if you please—and one who eats peas would be preferable as my bride. Be she princess or plebe, aristocrat, commoner… Any will do—I don’t care!”


They all stare. The girls cackle and curtsy. The callow young fellow—who lately regarded the sparring—is jarred by the image, and urgently asks, 

“Should you seek the same species, perhaps?”

Eddie agrees, but explains that the geese have suggested this venue is apt.

“So sorry! They’re wrong. Well-intentioned, but—silly!” G. gallus domesticus grandly declares. “Now, sir, we’ll appease you with corn, if you wish. And we’ve millet and crumbles to spare.”


He’s hungry. He hankers for sustenance. “Swell!” he says thankfully. Truly, the prospect of prandial products delights, though his lady awaits. Somewhere… So—he sups.


Convivial, civil, and charming, the chickens invite him to snooze in the sun. 

“If I doze,” he demurs, “I may lose the occasion to dazzle a damsel. Adieu!”

Bon voyage! Best of luck! Later, chum—and good cheer… ¡Adiós!” says the flock as he flits. Down the drive he departs. What direction to take? He determines to cut through the thicket. Wild blackberry vines, with their spiny, thick thorns, twining runners, and stickery stems, seem sinister now. And, he’s stuck.


No sign of a lady love. Lost, and disheveled, entangled in brambles, ocelli in shambles (those eyespots! How handsome, but once.) Poor Eddie! He’s down on his luck. So, forlorn and alone, with no queen of his own—or a throne—Eddie lets out a yelp of distress. He calls,


“He-elp! He-elp!”


His plumage is plundered. To salvage the damage, to part from this canebrake he must. To sunder himself from the snare, and repair; to return to his quest—but he sinks into sleep as the darkness descends. And he dreams. 


Now a phantom appears. Bedazzled and frazzled, poor Eddie is frightened, beholding the ghost.

“Guinevere,” says the vision in white. “That’s my name, sir. You called?” 

She’s bedecked in her bridal array, to be sure, with a trembling tiara on top. Its spatulate spikes stand spectacular, pure, having heard the harmonics of Eddie’s appeal.


Is she real? Did he die? She’s diaphanous. Vague and ethereal, delicate—


“Dear,” she speaks, “Don’t be afraid. You’re alive and awake! I’m albino, is all. Rather rare. If you dare, if you care, I consent to commit to you.” 


Eddie’s ecstatic! No more his erratic excursions he’ll take. Oh, they make such a couple. Congenial, comely, exotic, exquisite, sublime yet ridiculous—like as two peafowl, and proud, he and she. 


Happiness, here at last. Peachicks complete it, and oh what a treat it is—he-chicks and she-chicks, as sweet as can be.


€(o)> €(o)> 



(Quotation:

Austen, Jane. Pride and Prejudice. ed by Sicha, Frank, Jr [Boston, New York, etc. Ginn and company, 1917] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/18001222/>.)



March 10, 2023 06:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Amanda Lieser
20:14 Mar 16, 2023

Hey Cindy, This one was positively delightful! I really loved that you chose to go with this perspective, and I found myself intrigued by the premise of it call. I love the way that you decided to Titleist peace and I found myself a little bit surprised by it. I also really enjoyed the dialogue that you incorporated into this one. It was witty and a spectacularly happy read. My favorite thing was the repetition of that one word “help”. Nice work!

Reply

Cindy Strube
00:25 Mar 21, 2023

Hi Amanda, “Spectacularly happy read” makes my day! I got a kick out of writing this in honor of Eddie. I’m glad to hear the repetition of “help” came through well. Eddie is a real neighborhood fixture. It was fun to imagine him meeting and conversing (or not) with various other critters! I felt like his species needed some extravagant imagery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
00:17 Mar 13, 2023

Whoa…never read anything quite like this. Your command of words and all the internal rhyming…what a long poem this would make. Incredibly clever. I Definitely must follow you to see what else you can do! Forgive my feeble attempt at rhyme And Yes, I do have more to do with my time. But wouldn’t you know it? You unleashed my sleeping poet! But that’s enough for now CIAO! 😂

Reply

Cindy Strube
00:08 Mar 21, 2023

Thanks, Viga! I just tramped along with Eddie to see what he’d do… had a great time writing this. If you read more of my writing, you’ll find plenty of alliteration and word play. I’m addicted! :D I don’t usually let the poetry flow as much, but it fit the mood here. My grandma used to say, “You’re a poet, and you don’t know it, but your feet show it, ‘cause they’re Longfellows!”

Reply

Viga Boland
00:59 Mar 21, 2023

That’s cute. Must confess to being a poet of sorts. Used to write it a lot when I was younger. Even won some competitions. I still write it now and then now if the spirit moves me, included a large amount in my memoirs. But these days, as a writer, I just love letting my self go in humour and dialogue, as you’ll see if you read some of my pieces here. Good luck with your writing. I’ll be following you.

Reply

Cindy Strube
15:03 Mar 21, 2023

Oh… you’re putting pressure on me to keep my writing interesting! ; ) I need to catch up on some reading. Plan to head to your profile today!

Reply

Viga Boland
16:18 Mar 21, 2023

Glad I’m putting some pressure on you but instead of pressure, let’s call it motivation. 😊 And yes, I hope you will head over to my page, today or whenever you can fit me in. I’m good for a laugh or two. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:46 Mar 11, 2023

Cindy, A very intriguing beginning, an interesting romance and a load of new words to add to one’s vocabulary. I have always admired your animal characters and your word play. You would make a wonderful children’s book author if you are so inclined ☺️

Reply

Cindy Strube
21:38 Mar 20, 2023

Thanks, Suma! Eddie is a neighborhood regular. He belongs to no one in particular, so just roams our rural neighborhood. I hope he comes across Guinevere some day! Sorry if the words were overwhelming! I really let them fly this time… ; ) I do have a very short, simple children’s story that I am considering putting out there. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:42 Mar 10, 2023

Funny romance indeed :) It's a strange start when everyone ignores the calls for help, but then we quickly clue in. "Presently, he pauses in his plaintive peregrination to ponder" - this whole paragraph has some lovely alliteration, though it's not the only one. "henward" - excellent. "Ahead, an egret" - these little rhymes are found all over, and give the piece a lyrical quality. It reads well - it bounces jovially, even - and the ending is sweet success :)

Reply

Cindy Strube
20:43 Mar 20, 2023

Yep, I just felt the subject needed a rather over-the-top poeticism. It was a fun write! I like your observation of “bounces jovially”. That is the feel I was hoping for. Good excuse to use alliteration… And, as for “henward”—it’s only logical! I suppose Guinevere must have traveled “Edward”. ; )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
16:32 Mar 10, 2023

As lyrical as it is adorable. :) Thanks for the fun story, Cindy!

Reply

Cindy Strube
20:31 Mar 20, 2023

: ) Eddie is real… he belongs to no one and everyone, I guess! He roams our rural area and once came to our place for a meal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
13:25 Mar 10, 2023

Another interesting read. Thank you, Cindy. LF6.

Reply

Cindy Strube
17:16 Mar 20, 2023

🌸 Spring is here—and Eddie will be calling again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.