8 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Fiction

It all started before lunch.

Usually, when we had lunch at Cicero’s, our table would be waiting for us, our menus set on the table, and a little peace of mind for an hour and half would be available. From our office, the walk would be about ten minutes, even if I had to walk with her and take into consideration her slower gait.

That was Laura, of course.

It is strange to think about it now, but no one ever commented on us going out to lunch together, or working on projects when the rest of the staff left for today. Our results were excellent. That may have been the reason why we did get away with the relationship.

Our day was not that bad. Some of the promoters did not bring in their material on time, so we had to wait for permission before going ahead with our particular plans. Our assignation in a closet left us refreshed, amused and possibly bored (what was one to do for the rest of the morning?). I was a little…off. Our manager did notice as much and suggested heading to the gym in the afternoon. I wanted to find myself on a machine, alone and uninterrupted. This was not to be.

Maybe if I had been there by myself, the rest of the day would have gone smoothly. This was not the case.

Bobby Dunn… We tolerated such a person because he knew how to get the clients in the door. A very garrulous and extroverted presence who must have been a football player in high school – I never asked or cared before – he was already down there working up a sweat as he did bench presses.

“Dom!”

He knew that I preferred Dominic, but since we were only colleagues…

“Bob…”

“They let you take a break before selling more crap?”

This was his version of a joke, and I let it go. He would be the one who would have to sell our “crap”, so I did not see why he was mocking me.

“As it comes, we handle it. How are you and the sales team doing this month?”

Rather unfair, but he deserved it. We all knew that sales were down and that they were having trouble pushing our products. No one wanted to spend money that did not need to be spent.

He set the weights down on the bench and sat up. Bobby was a former athlete who did not want to lose what he had as a youth, but it was clear that the strain was hard on him. He had that ridiculous belt on already, tights that made him more of a professional wrestler than a real athlete, and that stupid sweatband around his head (Adidas should be able to sue these types).

“All we get, we learn to sell.” He picked up his water bottle and walked to the changing room. A part of me was relieved about this. At least I could use the elliptical and bike without his eyes on my back.

But there was something on his mind. This “something” was soon inside of my mind.

“So, you and Laura?”

I almost had my ear buds in when he started. If I had been just a moment faster,…

“Um, yes. You know about us, of course.”

“Everyone does, Dom. Everyone does. Just…how did you two…?”

This was getting more intimate than I needed it to be. The monitor in front of the bike was already on and I pretended to care about the weather report before answering.

“Cold day coming…”

“Seriously, I just…”

Remember, we were in the gym; a company gym, of course, but it still had all those mirrors you see at health centers around the city. Those seem to exist just to boost egos that are already inflated…or to take down those of us who realize our bodies have a long way to go.

Bobby did not look like a tough guy anymore. There he was, standing with that mismatched outfit (Adidas and Nike on a t-shirt), the bottle, the sweatband, leaning on a door frame as I started my routine. He really wanted to know what was going on between us (Laura and I, I mean).

“Look, these things just happen… You work with someone, you just…”

And then it happened.

That face, in the fluorescent light and mirrored space, was beginning to contort and change. Bobby Dunn was actually having a moment.

He had tears he could not stop.

I had to stop pedaling. The blizzard we were expecting no longer seemed that interesting.

“Y’know, I have just broken up with a girl I knew all my life and she says to me, ‘We’re just too different,’ like that explains it all. It does not explain Jack!” He crumpled to the floor and let the water bottle roll across the grey tiles. “Since high school, I was with her. Thought she’d actually give a damn about me getting this job, but she says, ‘We’re different’? What the hell is different? What the hell is up with that?”

Please don’t think me cruel for this next part, but I had my sports watch on – all linked up to my Samsung – and I knew that I would have to see Laura soon.

“You want my advice on this?”

He wiped his face and blinked at me. “Why not? Got no one else that thinks they have anything to share…”

So, he had been talking about this with others. That made what I said a little easier for me.

“Scrape her off and find another.”

“Scuse me?” He actually seemed offended.

“You know other women, right? You work with them? You have them on your team.”

“Sure, but…”

“And there’s no one else you’re interested in?”

Was his confusion real or was this still what I thought of as a performance? He stood up and stared hard at me.

“I never thought… I did not want to rock boats here.”

“Rock away. Shake things up and find out what going on with your team. There must be someone here. Just need to find her out.”

That seemed to work.

“Y’know what, Dom… Dominic. I think you’re right. If you and Laura can do it, why not me and someone else here?”

I ignored the insult and started to pedal again. “Right, well…it is a new day. Think about it.”

“You are damn right! Thanks.”

I did not see him leave the changing room – there was a separate door leading to our office – but I knew that he was a changed man. I knew that he would take what I said to heart.

And that is why I am resigning.

I know that I cannot be personally blamed for the incident at the party, but when a man decides to expose his true feelings to the daughter of a very important manager, we all suffer. And I think this will assuage all of the staff and workers who wonder why things took place in such a manner.

I have even spoken to Laura about this, and she agreed that it would be best if I left. I have already been offered other work and our relationship does not seem to have been affected by the press coverage and the shuffling of staff.

We are still on the same page.

February 04, 2023 02:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Lily Finch
03:25 Feb 04, 2023

Whoa, nice twist. Great story, Kendall. I particularly enjoyed your setup to the climax. Thanks for the good read. LF6

Reply

Kendall Defoe
11:27 Feb 05, 2023

Thank you. I want to add more to this one day...

Reply

Lily Finch
14:17 Feb 05, 2023

Yeah, it read like that. Can't wait to read the sequel. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
03:49 Feb 08, 2023

Management doesn't really care whose fault, eh? Not unlike teachers on the playground. The setup is good. The narrator doesn't much care for Bob, but it's not exactly animosity either. They just work together, nothing more. He offers Bob help as a small human thing to do, and it backfires. We're left curious about just how bad this incident was, and I can't help but wonder if "expose his true feelings" has a double meaning :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:10 Feb 08, 2023

Awesome!! I loved it! Very simple, funny, and loved the perspective from a man's POV. Good work, write more. Can't wait.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
13:38 Feb 08, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
15:41 Feb 07, 2023

It seems odd that the Dom would resign simply because Dunn exposed his "true feelings" to the daughter of a "very important manager" at the company they work at. The details of that encounter beg to be told. However, you've managed to create a convincing depiction of life inside a corporate culture - and your descriptions of the hapless Dunn made me inwardly chuckle. A pleasure to get back into the swing of Defoe tales after taking a week off.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
16:54 Feb 07, 2023

Remember: there was an "incident at a party." I want people to imagine what someone desperate and heartbroken might do. But I thank you for the comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.