4 comments

African American Contemporary Crime

You never captured my heart as usual. What you have to do now is to go and hit your head on a rock. You need not please your ass to make a monkey feel appreciated for the losses he has made on you. As the security men are closing the gate of the university, Tola couldn’t wait to finish up the already opened mail. He shouted and remained silent. Everyone who was passing by looked and continued since it was curfew time and everybody must retire to their homes.

 The phone ranged.

“It is she”, Tola sighed.

Picking up the phone call, Tola started quarrelling

“My heart jumped out of my mouth because I was engrossed by your pregnant threat on my mail. You camouflaged in the chameleon's skin of pregnancy to ruin my career. You made my evening flip into the next day because I was really perturbed by this unprepared fatherhood you have posed on me”.

“Tell me how did it happen?” Tola asked.

“Have you forgotten the night we shared at Brin-ta-ta Hotel?” Lady Jeff replied.

Barking like a wild dog, “you think I will let you into my life by a mere pregnancy? I see you want to get into my life just as you have been ruining other men. It’s high time I teach you a lesson about your life”.

“Never mind, you will face the law for raping me then”, Lady Jeff warned. That’s why I detest you, men. You never like owning your responsibilities but I assure you, this minute you must ripe what you have sown. You think women are just a slave to your bedroom and not a blessing to mother your children? You will have me to contend at the court of law.

“That’s good then, let’s waits and sees each other in the court of law then you will explain to the magistrate how ridiculous your story is. You better don’t waste your time because you will never match up to my wrath”, Tola boasted.

“You don’t threaten me as if I am your slave”.

She hanged off the phone call.

The whole night was like a stream flowing in misery for Tola. It was his first time to sleep on the couch in his sitting room. A glass of liquor he thought could take him off to bed as usual but that night a full bottle of whiskey wasn’t enough. Imagine!

Its two weeks after the deliberation.

“Are you Talo”, asked the police officer?

“Yes, I am”. Is there any problem Sir?

“You’re hereby arrested for the charge of threat to Lady Jeff and you have to remain silent because anything you say or do will be used against you in the court of law”.

Talo was arrested and the following morning requested to see his personal lawyer. It was Tuesday; 24 minutes past 9am, the court hearing began. To cut the long story short, the magistrate through the persuasiveness of the evidence presented by Talo’s attorney, granted his acquittal and Lady Jeff was charged for impersonation. Following the news of the release of Talo, Lady Jeff’s attorney, Karamanto, never gave up on the investigation.

 In June 2015, the buried mess of Talo was revoked by the court realising that the magistrate was bribed to give the wrong verdict because Talo was his in-law.

The court profiling indicated that the series of charges had been leveraged on Talo for such inappropriate behaviour on young children. The recent before the current scenario was the rape of a housekeeper in her 14 years of age. Although he was granted bail because the young girl, Pakato, had no concrete evidence to show to the police officer coupled with her age gap as compared to Tola, she was defeated.

After the presentation by Barrister Karamanto, the magistrate overruled that Tola should be convicted for gross misconduct and rape.

As Talo was taken by the policemen, “You will rot in jail because of the pain you have caused me. You thought you would go away with this freely but nemesis has shaved your beards. You will never joke with women like Lady Jeff in your next life. Goodbye you loser and a Barking Dog”, Lady Jeff altered aloud.

Lady Jeff appreciated her attorney for her relentless effort in fighting for justice and both parted to their homes while Talo was locked up for 10 years imprisonment and his Lawyer, Bakade was suspended from practice for 5 years.

Meanwhile, Talo’s first day in the cell was full of hallucination about the way the whole story started just from the sight of the word “pregnant” from the girlfriend’s message.

A week later, regret crept in. Everything he had done became afresh in his mind.

One evening, Talo rushed to one of the prison warders and said,

“You mean you are also here because you raped a woman?”

“What do you mean?” Fokoto, the Prison warder asked.

“You are a rapist. Just look at yourself”.

Rapist! Rapist!! Talo continued wailing.

Fokoto reported to the in-charge about the sudden behaviour of Talo. A Psychiatrist was involved after two days due to persistent disturbance from Talo.

“You are a rapist Mr Psychiatrist. What are you doing here? Go away from me”.

Talo was injected with Risperidone to calm down and as well enable him to think clearly.

A few days later, Talo was taken to the Bafalo Mental Rehabilitation Centre.

“How are you Tola?” the doctor asked.

“You mean me, Sir?”

“Yes!”

“You are a rapist too. Go away.”

It was a terrible experience keeping Tola and other patients in one room as he kept shouting and calling others rapist. The doctors tried all kinds of medication on him alongside psychotherapy to restore his thinking faculty again.

After 2 months, although, Tola fully recovered and was taken back to the prison to complete his punishment, there at the prison, his fellow inmates nicknamed him a mad rapist. This made his stay in the prison miserable and the rest of his life living in stigma.

The end

June 21, 2020 14:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

12:38 Jun 22, 2020

I like the write up. I see the need to get a sharp lawyer

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
06:20 Jun 23, 2020

Thanks for reading it. More are coming your way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
21:38 Jun 25, 2020

This reads like it actually happened and is being told by a friend from the neighborhood. the few cumbersome sentences would be helped by reading them aloud.

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
04:45 Jun 26, 2020

Thanks so much. It's actually in the real world.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.