Dancing With a Winged Ghost - The Four Moon Cycles Part One

Submitted into Contest #56 in response to: Write a story in which two people who know each other are introduced — but neither person admits to knowing the other.... view prompt

58 comments

Fantasy Gay

Rhyvahr was not going to show up to a ball without looking fabulous.

Right now, the only clothing that hung from his body was a thin, silky nightgown. It was long, the end dragged along the floor when he paced around his room.

Through his window, he could see the hustle and bustle of the Jaharan night market. It was lit up by fluorescent lights, filled with people in fancy, over-the-top attire.

At least that was what all the Laslans would say. Them with their plain, tasteless clothes and their value for modesty. At least Jaharans knew how to have fun.

And Rhyvahr was determined to do just that.

The ball was hours away, and he had spent the entire morning in his walk-in wardrobe trying to pick out something to wear. Then he resorted to sitting in front of his vanity, combing through all his rings, necklaces and hair accessories.

He caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror. He looked awful, the thought of anyone seeing him like this was something out of his nightmares. It was all right though. It was all going to be all right. He would look like his usual fabulous self in no time.

Skin too pale? A sweeping of blush along the cheekbones would do.

Bloodshot eyes? Line them with gold eyeliner. Then dust yellow shadow at both corners of your eyelids, and make the orange in the middle bold and bright. Don’t forget the eyelashes – they have to be long and volumized.

Lips cracked and colourless? Apply some rouge for goodness sake. Let’s go with red to match your fiery eyes. Everyone would want a taste of those lips.

There, that is what we are talking about.

Rhyvahr glanced at his finished look in the mirror and smiled. His eyes didn’t sparkle when he did that, but no one would see amidst the glittery eyeshadow.

He stood and undid his nightgown, tossing it onto his bed. He gulped when the light of the mirror shone harshly onto his naked body. He registered his heart thumping and the uncomfortable hotness that crept all over his skin.

It was going to be all right. He could make it through the night without it.

His hand reached at the spot between his shoulder-blades. Rhyvahr could never get used to feeling the rugged ends protruding from his back.

The only remaining part of his wings.

He shuddered when the pain echoed through his body. Breathe through it. Breathe through it. It will pass.

Now, it was time to get dressed.

Rhyvahr slipped on the white underclothing and then his pants – black with sparkling embroidering. Then laced up his boots with careful fingers.

Jaharan clothing was famous for its numerous layers. And the outmost layer had to be magnificent. And Rhyvahr’s was just that.

Long, billowing sleeves traced all over with silver thread to accompany the artwork of golden flowers stitched onto the fabric. The layers all folded over each other in a V-shape below his collarbone, and the pointed shoulders hid the slump in his posture.

Rhyvahr scooped up his long, dark hair and spun it into a top-knot, securing it in place with a clip. It was made of gold with a large ruby in the middle. Then he slid his rings on one by one until his fingers sparkled with jewels no matter what angle he held his hand.

His Father didn’t know he was going, and that suited Rhyvahr because he didn’t need to tell his Father anything. He was an adult who could make his own decisions about what he wanted.

Rhyvahr was more than ready. He was going to have fun.

Everything was going to be normal. Just the way they used to be.

Rhyvahr entered the ballroom in all his glory. Fashionably late, of course. How else was he supposed to attract stares when he finally decided to grace the lovely people with his presence? He delighted in the way the people whispered about him, stilling their dancing for a millisecond to gaze upon his magnificence.

The music came to a halt, partners bowed and curtseyed to each other.

“May I have this next dance?” A woman asked, offering her lacey-gloved hand. She was in a stunning red dress made of shiny satin. Hair sleek and braided down her back. Her large brown eyes were boldened by dark liner and smoky eyelids.

“Of course,” Rhyvahr replied, taking her hand. “I would never refuse a woman as beautiful as yourself.” She gave him a smile, revealing dimples in both cheeks.

“Aikirra,” she said. Typical Jaharan name. 

“Rhyvahr.” Not typical Jaharan name. It was Tel-hatian, the land of numerous forests where the dark faeries resided.

“I have heard of you,” Aikirra said as they walked towards the dance floor. “I do not know where, but I have.” Her voice was light and airy.

Rhyvahr placed a hand on her shoulder when the music started once more. “My name is a common one.”

“But not in Jahara,” Aikirra said. Her lips moved, clearly to say something, but turned up into a smile once more. “Let us not worry about that.” She curtseyed.

Aikirra was a wonderful dancer, their steps fell right in with each other. With a hand on her waist, they glided across the floor as if flying through air.

Flying.

Rhyvahr was familiar with the sensation. How freeing it was to sail through the sky, wings catching the breeze.

His heart throbbed, pain crept through his back once more.

“Are you all right?” Aikirra asked, stopping mid-step.

Rhyvahr’s jaw tightened. “I am perfectly fine,” he replied.

He led Aikirra back towards the centre.

He danced through the heartache. Even though each step sent pain running down his spine, increasingly intense with each movement.

He danced through it.

He held onto Aikirra’s hand as she spun out and executed a perfect twirl back towards him. He caught her on the final beat of the music.

Rhyvahr bowed, placing a kiss on her fingers. He retrieved two glasses from a servant walking past. “Might I interest you in a drink?”

Aikirra tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “That sounds delightful,” she replied. They left the dance floor, the ballroom filling with chatter at the interval. She sipped from her glass. “So, where are you from?”

“Are my origins unclear to you?” Rhyvahr asked. Even beneath all the Jaharan clothing and make-up, it was obvious from his dark hair and complexion that he wasn’t from Jahara.

“I am just making conversation,” Aikirra said. “I am from Hestina Los.” That fact was also clear from her accent, but Rhyvahr didn’t make a comment about it.

“That is quite far from Alheria,” Rhyvahr said.

“I am travelling with my brother,” Aikirra said. She glanced through the crowd. “Let me introduce you to him.”

Rhyvahr didn’t have the energy to object, one dance had already made him weary. However, his senses sharpened when he saw Aikirra’s brother.

White-blond hair, grey eyes the colour of storm clouds right after a rain, scar along his cheek pulling one corner of his mouth slightly upwards. Rhyvahr knew those features all too well.

“This is my brother, Fenndon,” Aikirra said, oblivious to the emotions crackling between their gaze.

“I-I am Rhyvahr,” he said. Rhyvahr never stumbled over his words. But he did around Fenndon. He always had. With his smooth and elegant features, how could Rhyvahr not?

However, the hurt in Fenndon’s eyes were unmistakable. Fenndon made a gesture with his hands, gaze darting away from Rhyvahr.

“He says nice to meet you,” Aikirra translated. Although Rhyvahr didn’t need the translation, Fenndon had taught him sign language years ago, and Rhyvahr never forgot.

“It is nice to meet you too,” Rhyvahr said, swallowing back whatever he wanted to say.

He danced a few more songs with Aikirra, his eyes always drifting back to where Fenndon stood against the wall. He remembered Fenndon telling him that he could hear the undercurrent of the music, when it changed, so Rhyvahr used to play him songs on the harp and he listened.

When the pain came again, he stumbled and almost didn’t catch Aikirra when she came twirling back to him. Rhyvahr winced. He just needed to go back to his room for his painkillers. He didn’t use it because it made him high and messed up his footing.

But he would be lying if he said he didn’t need it at least once every few hours.

“Rhyvahr?” Aikirra was looking up at him with worry. He had grown to hate that look. That was the only way his Father looked at him anymore.

He was fine.

He just needed the painkillers.

“Excuse me for a moment,” Rhyvahr said.

He made his way through the crowd of people, the pain twisting and turning into a scream waiting to be let out. It built in his throat, but he swallowed it because he had learnt how to do that now. No matter how bad the pain, he wasn’t going to scream.

However, he had not trained himself on what to say when he saw Fenndon again. Because he thought he would never see Fenndon again. However, there he was, all alone in the hallway.

The sight of Fenndon made him so incredibly still. What happened between them was years ago. A lifetime ago.

Rhyvahr certainly hadn’t forgotten though.

He couldn’t face Fenndon like this. Not when it felt like knives stabbing between his shoulder-blades, enough to make him bite his lip so hard that it bled. His hands trembled from withdrawal.

So Rhyvahr walked the other way.

He barely managed to close his door before he was tearing at his clothing. His skin was burning despite his fireplace not being lit. He fumbled at the buttons and all the fabric. Then grappled for the tin, prying it open even though a little twist would have done the trick.

He scooped a large chunk of the clear paste, smearing it all over his back. He had stolen it from his Father’s medicine cabinet after his other one ran out.

He was supposed to be weaning off it, but there was not a chance that Rhyvahr was going to let people see how weak he really was without it. It ruled his life, but he didn’t care if that meant the front he put on for other people, to convince them that he was normal would never waver.

He sighed with pleasure when the pain finally went away, replaced by a rush that calmed his rapidly beating heart and cooled the burning sensation. It felt so good.

Rhyvahr pushed himself off the floor.

His heart gave a start again when he saw the person standing at his door.

“How long have you been standing there?” Rhyvahr asked, scrambling to get his underclothes back on.

How long have you been abusing substances? Fenndon signed, it was clear from the cold expression on his face that he had no sympathy for Rhyvahr. Why should he?

“Now is not a good time,” Rhyvahr said, sloppily trying to sign back.

He couldn’t let anybody see him in this state. Broken and weak. They could do anything to him.

Fenndon’s eyes were hard, hands clenched into fists. Anger was an expression Rhyvahr never wanted to see on Fenndon.

He collapsed back on the floor. The painkillers made his muscles all weak. He was completely helpless now.

Fenndon came closer. His features softened because Rhyvahr knew that he could never stay angry for long even when he should – his soul was just that kind, and his heart was just that good.

What happened to you, Rhyvahr? Fenndon looked genuinely concerned. A lock of hair had fallen in front of his face, partially obscuring his furrowed brows.

“It is not a topic I like to discuss,” Rhyvahr slurred. “So I am not going to.”

Fenndon twisted the tin between his deft fingers. He set it back on Rhyvahr’s vanity. Why, Rhyvahr? Just tell me why and I will stop asking. His signs were all blurring together, but Rhyvahr knew what Fenndon was asking. Crystal clear.

“Because it hurts.”

There was a patchwork of red marks all over his back – it was side effect.

And the roots of his wings.

His beautiful wings made of black feathers that used to trail behind him when he walked. The wind used to rushed through them when he soared through the air and ruled the sky with the birds and the clouds. They used to wrap around him when he slept. Like an embrace.

He could still feel them sometimes. Imaginary feathers ghosting the surface of his skin. But when he reached to touch them, they faded.

He remembered waking up in the infirmary, half-blinded by the white sheets. It clung to his skin coated by sweat because his fever had finally broken. He was cold, and his Father’s fingertips were warm against his back.

But the pain. It was blinding. And he kept clawing at the raw wounds on his back to get it to stop. So his Father had to tie him down, and listen to his screams and cries every night.

When he was well enough to get out of bed, he stood by the window and looked out at the world he could no longer trust.

“Rhyvahr,” his Father approached behind him, talking like Rhyvahr was some dying animal that needed to be put out of its misery. “How are you feeling?”

“They are gone,” Rhyvahr said. He had been staring hard at his reflection and not a black feather in sight. He breathed shakily, determined not to cry. He was done with crying.

“I am sorry, there was nothing else I could do,” his Father said. “The poison kept spreading. It would have killed you.”

And now, Rhyvahr was on the floor, admitting his deepest shame to Fenndon. Fenndon sat down beside him, a cotton pad in hand to remove Rhyvahr’s make-up. Rhyvahr felt his gentle fingers pressing against his forehead, his eyelids, his lips.

He would never have let anyone else see him like this. But he supposed Fenndon had always been special.

“It was hunters,” Rhyvahr said, looking into Fenndon’s studious, grey eyes. “They struck me with an arrow then chained me up to a tree and doused my wings with poison. By the time Father got to me, it was too late. He had no other choice.” He choked, turning away. “I wanted so desperately for everything to be normal again, I just wanted things to go back to the way they were. I did not want Father to worry about me anymore.”

Fenndon stroked Rhyvahr’s hair softly. You should rest. Fenndon helped him up and tucked him beneath the sheets. And Rhyvahr fell asleep to Fenndon’s soft humming. Sometimes when I think of a song in my mind, I can hum it. I may not be able to hear it with my ears, but I can hear it in my mind. That was what Fenndon had told him once.

Rhyvahr wondered what song it was.

He awoke to a heavy pounding in his head. He was alone. Wait, Fenndon was here last night. Or had it all been a dream?

He looked to his bedside table where Fenndon’s beautiful handwriting marked a piece of parchment.

Meet me at the carriages. I leave at noon.

-Fen

Fen. That was the name that had been echoing in his mind all those years.

Rhyvahr bolted out of bed as the gong rung for noon. It wasn’t surprising he had slept that long, but he was not going to let Fenndon leave just like that. He chucked on whatever clothing was laying around in his wardrobe and ran out of his room without bothering about make-up or hair.

He rushed to the courtyard, despite his boots not being at all suitable for running and the leftover painkillers in his system making his head spin. He stumbled, almost falling down the stairs just in time to see the first carriage leave.

Rhyvahr’s heart sank a little. What if Fenndon was in that carriage?

He felt a hand on his shoulder. The warmth of the touch seeping through all those layers of clothing.

“Fen,” Rhyvahr said, a feeling of breathlessness taking over him.

I am sorry for what happened to you, Rhyvahr, Fenndon signed. I am sorry I was not there.

“I should be the one apologising to you,” Rhyvahr said. The hurt that had been on Fenndon’s face that day was imprinted forever into his mind. “What I did—” Fenndon pressed a finger to Rhyvahr’s lips.

Yes, you hurt me, Fenndon signed. You slept with someone else after promising me that I was the only one you loved. Then you just left, as though you did not care. It is easy for you to find those willing to be with you. But it is different for me, and you never understood that.

The guilt ate away at Rhyvahr’s heart. It had been eating away at his heart ever since he left.

“I have not been with anyone after you,” Rhyvahr said.

Fenndon pressed his hands against Rhyvahr’s cheeks, a blush colouring them red. I hold no grievance towards you, Rhyvahr, I wish you all the best.

“Will I ever see you again?” Rhyvahr asked.

Fenndon bit his lip. Maybe, he signed. Until then, get better, Rhyvahr. If not for yourself, for me.

With that, he left. Climbing into the carriage where Aikirra was waiting.

Fenndon’s words reached straight to Rhyvahr’s heart. He got rid of the tin and vowed to be better when they saw each other again. 

But Rhyvahr would not see Fenndon until years and years later. 

August 28, 2020 03:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

58 comments

Kristin Neubauer
20:44 Aug 28, 2020

Wonderful, Yolanda! The way you crafted the story had me wondering with every sentence - how had Rhyvahr lost his wings? Why had he and Fenndon split? And of course the cliffhanger, what next? I'm so glad there will be a Part 2. And your writing - graceful as ever. The flow and the imagery - I could see everything clearly and it was fabulous. I felt like I was at the ball. Can't wait for the next!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:43 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much, Kristin! Your comments always mean the world to me. I had a lot of fun writing this, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Reply

Kristin Neubauer
23:10 Aug 28, 2020

And i forgot to say that I love love LOVE the title - it's so beautiful.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
23:12 Aug 28, 2020

Haha i'm so glad you mentioned the title, I changed it about five times. But yeah, I'm pretty happy with this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Andrew Krey
10:15 Sep 18, 2020

Wow this was a brilliant story! You created a vivid world, and I liked the fantasy name, and how they were quickly abbreviated to show familiarity. I loved how you teased information, forcing me to read on to find out more. It created so many questions on why his wings were cut, did he do it as a disguise, was he ashamed of them, did someone else do it. And when the reveal comes the use of poison creates even more questions! Great technique. I really enjoyed this, and I guess now I have no choice but to read the other installments to...

Reply

Yolanda Wu
10:17 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you so much for reading, Andrew. Several people have pointed out to me that the whole drugs terminology thing was out of place and I couldn't agree more. But glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Andrew Krey
10:33 Sep 18, 2020

Ah, I should have read the other comments first then lol Yeah I think it stands out more as the rest is so well written, which makes that reference stand out even more...so you only have your talent to blame! Lol Yeah it definitely didn't lessen the story, just something to keep in mind when writing in that genre :)

Reply

Yolanda Wu
10:39 Sep 18, 2020

Of course, you're totally right! And more people telling me just means that it is definitely something I need to fix so I can become better!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
06:49 Sep 11, 2020

Hi Yolanda! So glad I picked this as my first one of yours to read. I love love love the world building that you did and would love to read novels set in this world. As soon as you gave the names of the protag and the city, it was clear that it was going to be classic fantasy but I am so intrigued to find out more about the people with wings. Your descriptions were vivid and precise, though I think the getting dressed part could’ve been condensed a little - it kicked off a little more when Rhyvahr went to the ball and though you were abl...

Reply

Yolanda Wu
07:46 Sep 11, 2020

Oh my god, Laura, thank you so much for the long comment and amazing constructive criticism. I definitely agree with you on all of the points. Yeah, the beginning the sentence with pronouns is definitely one that I'm guilty of in many of my stories. And yup, that start could definitely be shortened. I guess it was because I didn't really have an idea where the story was heading, so my beginnings tend to be a bit rambly. I will definitely pay attention to that while editing. Thank you for saying that I wrote the gay couple well, that means s...

Reply

Elle Clark
08:17 Sep 11, 2020

You’re so welcome! I know what you mean about not wanting to label characters. It’s a fine line sometimes. If there isn’t a romance storyline, then their sexuality gets erased because it’s irrelevant to the storyline but it’s frustrating that heteronormatity is the standard. With my latest story, it was tricky to get the balance right - I wanted it to be clear that the protag was trans because how often do you see a trans superhero who kicks ass? But equally, that wasn’t an important storyline to explore so I didn’t want to spend hours going...

Reply

Yolanda Wu
08:29 Sep 11, 2020

Omg yeah, I totally agree with you. I loved that you included a trans character who is a superhero. I have a gender fluid character that has existed since this story first came into my head. They were originally Rhyvahr's love interest, but then I changed it because I wanted them to be best friends instead and I haven't been able to slip them into the story. Originally was gonna have them appear in part three but there were enough characters already. Bi-erasure is definitely one that frustrates me. Not just in stories but in everyday life,...

Reply

Elle Clark
08:40 Sep 11, 2020

Tell me about it. I’m not out in my actual life with many people because I came to terms with my bisexuality when I’d already met and fallen in love with my now husband and I honestly can’t be bothered with the ‘but you’ve only been with men so you must be straight’ rubbish that would come with telling people. Plus, I’m happy in my relationship so it’s not like I’ll be dating at any point. It’s so weird to me that bi is a stepping stone though. I think it’s seen as a safer option when in reality, bi people tend to deal with prejudice fro...

Reply

Yolanda Wu
08:58 Sep 11, 2020

Honestly the whole oh you've only been with the opposite gender so you can't still be attracted people of the same gender is ridiculous. I like to use the werewolf analogy that I saw on Pinterest. When they're human, they're still werewolves. When they're wolves, they're still werewolves. It doesn't make a difference.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gopika Ashokan
09:14 Sep 09, 2020

Wow, this was so good! Your writing always keeps me hooked to the world you create. Also, I read your bio and I'm so happy with the diverse variety of books that you love. Aah and I absolutely adore The Book Thief(it is so tragically beautiful), grew up reading Percy Jackson and I recently read my first Sanderson book - Elantris. Though I have heard that it is not his best work, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Anyway, thanks for writing!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
10:00 Sep 09, 2020

Thank you so much, Gopika! The Book Thief is one of my absolute favourite books, just obsessed with the writing in it. And yes, who doesn't love Percy Jackson. I haven't read Elantris, but The Stormlight Archive is definitely worth a read. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari .
15:21 Sep 04, 2020

Usually I try to give some helpful advice, but now I don’t know what to say. This piece left me speechless.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:36 Sep 04, 2020

Aww, thank you so much, Sari!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
09:49 Sep 04, 2020

I’m always down for some fantasy, especially a high fantasy, so I very much enjoyed this! The worldbuilding was solid and never felt forced, so good job on that. The protagonist’s qualms were very worrying and came through vividly; lots of awesome descriptions in there. Also, that might be the most amazing way to spell “River” and I love it 😂 Keep it up, I’m heading over to part 2!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
09:55 Sep 04, 2020

I'm glad you mentioned the spelling of his name. My friend and I had so many back and forth text messages trying to figure out a way to spell his name. Thank you so much for reading, Rayhan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
01:47 Sep 04, 2020

Here, as promised, and might I say what an amazing story this was! I really felt I was there. You're descriptions were amazing and I could paint the world in my head. But I think you should revise your story once more to ensure that all your spelling and grammar are correct. Also try to avoid unconscious repetition, I liked the intentional repetition. So, fantastic job! You're a great writer and I hope to see more of your stories soon!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
02:40 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you the feedback!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
03:55 Sep 04, 2020

Anytime.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
05:15 Sep 04, 2020

Part two is out now!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
05:37 Sep 04, 2020

Awesome, I'll take a look!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lauren :)
01:42 Sep 03, 2020

I love the use of words!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
02:46 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This story was so good! The fantasy worlds you create when writing these stories are nothing short of stunning. Your descriptions and magic that you weave into your writing really helps paint a picture in my head while im reading your stories. I really enjoyed this story, especially how you wrote Rhyvahr's grief of losing his wings. I also really loved the names you chose they are so unique and really add to the overall magic feel of this story. Overall amazing job!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:04 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you so much, Alainna! Your words mean a lot to me. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Itay Frenkel
18:18 Aug 29, 2020

Nice flow, good dialogue, and a cliffhanger! Way to go, Yolanda, this was really creative and fun to read. You have a great imagination and it showed here. If you get the please check out some of the new stories I posted.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
00:14 Aug 30, 2020

Thank you so much, Itay! I would be happy to check out your stories. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
22:38 Aug 28, 2020

I'm going to be honest with you, Yolanda. Reading the first few paragraphs, I was thinking that this story will be about teenagers on the prom. But then you mentioned the lost wings and it just changed the whole vibe of the story! I'm really enjoying this :)

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:45 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much, Deborah! I do love the teenagers at prom interpretation. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E.N. Holder
20:18 Aug 28, 2020

I love this fantasy world! It is very creative and you are great at writing details. I have a question, did Rhyvahr cheat on Fenndon? It seems like he feels guilty, but then denies it, was he lying? Overall, I think you did a great job of showing the past history of the characters in a short space. Keep it up!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:41 Aug 28, 2020

Oooh, you managed to spot something I did have planned all along. More will be revealed in the next part. So glad you read closely enough to see it. Thank you so much, Elise!

Reply

E.N. Holder
22:43 Aug 28, 2020

Can't wait to see what happens!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Adrian Stolecki
18:43 Aug 28, 2020

Very nice descriptions throughout. Really vivid imagery. Good job!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:39 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much, Adrian!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:45 Aug 28, 2020

Great story. You have a wonderful imagination and you did a great joe with the dialogue, which I find to be the hardest part. Can’t wait to read the next installment

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:37 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much, Sarah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:12 Sep 16, 2020

This story had a nice flow to it, and your dialogue ran smoothly. All of your characters were beautiful and flawless. Amazing job! - Brooke D.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
01:50 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you so much, Brooke!

Reply

11:12 Sep 16, 2020

My pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
07:44 Sep 11, 2020

"Rhyvahr was not going to show up to a ball without looking fabulous." "And Rhyvahr was determined to do just that." These are power sentences. They give Rhyvahr agency. So try to not use "was" construction on them. For example "Rhyvahr refused to attend a ball looking less than fabulous." "He could make it through the night without it." which it do you mean? The wings are mentioned later. "And the outmost layer had to be magnificent. And Rhyvahr’s was just that." When you emphasize with the use of "and" at the start of a sentence, ...

Reply

Yolanda Wu
07:54 Sep 11, 2020

Everyone always says you give the best feedback and that is so true. Thank you for pointing out all the technical aspects I should change, I definitely agree with you on all of them. I'm 100% guilty of the whole slipping modern things into fantasy, and that is something I will strive to improve. Thank you for seeing the potential in my work, it definitely made me inspired to work harder. I really appreciate your constructive criticism, Charles. Thank you for taking the time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
02:49 Sep 10, 2020

Very creative with the wings. Rhyvahr, I loved this name. Wonderful story and keep writing. Would you mind reading my new one? Thanks.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
02:52 Sep 10, 2020

Thank you, Keerththan! Of course I will check out your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nicole Zhao
10:54 Sep 09, 2020

i love the use of ~words~ ;)

Reply

Yolanda Wu
10:56 Sep 09, 2020

Hmm yes, we all love the use of ~words~. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
09:18 Aug 31, 2020

Super creative, great take on the prompt!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
09:32 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you so much, Sarah!

Reply

. .
09:36 Aug 31, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
07:10 Aug 28, 2020

So yes, this story is set in the 'fantasy world' I refer to in my bio. It's called Rakatraah, and of course this story is set in Jahara. I'm super excited to share this story as the first in a series of stories set in Rakatraah. So, don't worry, you will hear about what happens when Rhyvahr and Fenndon see each other again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.