10 comments

Adventure Drama

Wind carried secrets far and wide; their merciful but menacing nature made it impossible to distinguish them between a friend or a foe. Gutters spat out water like secrets. Penetrating the ambiance, the hymn of matrimony rang in his ears. The white washed walls suffocated behind the cabinets and tables; whilst they panted for air. Sitting proudly in the middle of a destitute village; a fairly small cottage stood. However, everything was perfect; the flower pots were in arrays the....

“Thomas, Thomas. Does she know?” asked Mrs Smith whispering down his ear it and sending shivers down his spine.

“No she doesn’t, and my name is not Thomas it is Tommy, how many times do I have to say that? I don’t like the name Thomas” Tommy replied.

She nodded.

 “Yes I know my darling but I like the name Thomas it was your great grandfathers name I thought that I would give it to you, anyway when is she coming?” asked Mrs Smith

“Soon” replied Tommy. He couldn’t believe it himself; his fiancé was coming over and in a month time he would surely be getting married; but she didn’t know about his secret; the one that no one talked about but it was secretly there, the one that had made all the difference in his family but still she couldn’t know.

Bafflement penetrated into his mind and consumed all his thought; feeling heavy his chest thumped loudly in agony.

What should I do?

Well, what can I do?

Whilst his mind surged with perplexity he knew he couldn’t tell her; it wasn’t his secret to tell.

“Come on Thomas, she’s going to be here any minute” shouted Mrs Smith.

Going towards the living room, Thomas felt an overflow of panic. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the Pimlico flag; it hung proudly and flowed with the wind. Sweat trickled down his forehead and burned his face. Looking at him his dad came towards him and patted him on his back.

“I was even more scared than you were when I was marrying your mum” said Mr Smith; a small smile appeared at the corner of his lip.

“Yes I know” replied Tommy and returned the smile.

Ring.

“Oh here she is, it’s all going to be okay” said Mr Smith and patted him on his back and went to open the door.

“Oh darling it’s all going to be fine” said Mrs Smith; her upright position made her look as if she was carrying books on top of her head.

“Come in Katie and take a seat you know the way” said Mrs Smith, her kind eyes analysed the room to make sure nothing was out of order.

Flabbergasted by the exquisite architecture Katie’s eyes darted around the room; never in her life had she seen such a house. Even though it is small in size she knew that not even a mansion could afford some of the things that are in this house.

“Would you like some tea?” offered Mrs Smith.

“Yes please Mrs Smith” replied Katie

“Call me Jenny” replied Mrs Smith. Her accent always confused Katie because she couldn’t figure out where she was from and felt like it was rude to ask. Maybe I’ll ask Tommy she thought.

Taking a cup of tea, Mrs Smith’s pinkie pointed out and she sipped the tea gently her upright position made it look as if her spine was made out of a big long stick ; and her overflowing dress mesmerised Katie, the embroidery could’ve taken months to make she thought. Out of the corner of her eye she saw it: a magnificent ring that attached perfectly to Jenny’s fingers, the pearls and diamonds were fitted flawlessly into the design, and the gold covering was impeccable.

Sitting beside her, Mr Smith was sitting comfortably. His arms were around her and they were drinking their tea. Katie could feel Tommy’s arms around her and they were intertwined with her hair and she could see his smile as he laughed at his parent’s jokes and it made her smile; the warm fuzzy feeling made her overwhelmed with joy.

“I think I forgot my bag on the doorstep I’ll go now and get it” said Katie; trying not to interrupt their conversation.

Tommy nodded and she went

Fascinated by the furniture, her hands couldn’t resist but stroke the woodworks it was perfectly etched. The old chairs looked like no one had ever sat on them.

As she went towards the door something caught her eye and walking forwards she could see what it was: old newspapers.

How odd she thought.

As she edged closer she saw that the dates were from years ago. Picking up the newspaper she saw that the king has just found new heir and it was his oldest son however she knew that this was months ago.

Why do they keep these newspapers?

Flipping through the newspapers the only thing that she could see were the articles of the monarchy had been circled. How bizarre.

Getting the last paper she saw the front cover and it said that the ‘Kings youngest daughter has run away’ I never knew he has more than 2 children thought Katie and underneath she saw the name ‘Jennifer Croft.’

Oh no. It can’t be.

Jenny is a short form of Jennifer. That means that Mrs Smith was part of the royal family and she ran away with Mr Smith and got married and never went back. Therefore she was the youngest daughter and now lives her life here.

Why wouldn’t Tommy tell me something like that?

Did he not trust me? She thought. Foolishness pervaded her mind it was mixed with bafflement and annoyance.

Spinning out of control her brain went over everything that she just saw: the ring, the dress and even the posture.

How could I have missed it?

Walking towards the living room her legs felt numb and lifeless. Thumping uncontrollably her heart raced in her chest.

As she walked in she stood in front of Mrs Smith.  

“Your Majesty” said Katie and bowed before Jenny….. the horror in her face was indescribable.

October 23, 2020 21:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Nitesh Shah
15:01 Oct 24, 2020

excellent work

Reply

Palak Shah
11:47 Oct 25, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nyx :)
13:10 May 03, 2021

🍫 and thx for liking my storys!

Reply

Palak Shah
14:56 May 03, 2021

No problemo How are you?

Reply

Nyx :)
14:58 May 03, 2021

Im breathing i guess, hbu?

Reply

Palak Shah
15:00 May 03, 2021

I'm alright, breathing as well :))

Reply

Nyx :)
15:02 May 03, 2021

yea, u kind of need to do that to live haha

Reply

Palak Shah
15:57 May 03, 2021

yh I do hehehehehehe :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pratik Bhandari
13:12 Oct 29, 2020

Amazing

Reply

Palak Shah
13:48 Oct 29, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.