0 comments

Drama Fiction Sad

“Hurry up, Travis! Mum wants us home for dinner on time for once!”

“Five seconds, Carrie!”

“You said ‘five seconds’ five minutes ago! Now, move it!”

“I’m moving, I’m moving!”

“Can’t believe you’re never on time for anything. It’s a wonder you still have a job.”

“That’s something I’m always on time for. Even showed up early a few times.”

“Bloody hell! This past Christmas really did a number on you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean, sis?”

“Ever since you met our stepsister, you’ve been changing.”

“Changing, how?”

Carrie sighed and shifted the bags she was carrying. “You’ve been nicer, for starters. You’re not on your mobile as much either.”

“And that’s a bad thing?”

“Not bad. Just weird.”

Travis rolled his eyes. “Just because I’m making an attempt to get along with Terry, and get rid of some of my bad habits, doesn’t mean I’m weird. She’s actually pretty cool and fun to talk to. You’d see that if you could get over your obnoxious crush on her fiancé. He’s never gonna look at you the way you want, sis.”

“There’s still time to change that.”

“Ugh! Ever since Anton broke off your engagement, you’ve been obsessed with finding someone to replace him. And now you’re talking about ruining Terry’s chance at the happiness you were denied? Pretty messed up, if you ask me.”

“Well, I didn’t ask you, Travis. And personally, I know I can get Roger to leave her. I only have to figure out how. There’s a few short months until their wedding, so I’d better think of something, fast.”

“Ever the schemer, huh Carrie?” The siblings paused as a voice they never thought they’d hear again addressed her by name.

“It can’t be.” They turned to see a man, who looked to be in his fifties, with eyes like Travis and hair like Carrie. He was about ten feet away and smiling sadly. “D-D-Dad?” Travis could hardly believe what he was seeing. “How? I thought… we thought…”

The man looked around, as if he were worried someone would overhear. “Think we could go talk somewhere? I have… a lot of things to tell you.”

“Understatement of the decade.” Carrie muttered angrily. “What makes you think we should listen to anything you have to say? A simple apology isn’t going to cut it.”

The man sighed and moved a step closer. “I’m not here just to apologise. I had to see you guys and dispel the fabrication your mother was led to believe.”

Before his sister could retort, Travis intervened, “Fine. We’ll at least hear you out, but if we’re late for dinner, you’re explaining it to Mum.”

“Fair enough, I suppose. Where to?”

“The Green Bottle. Should be quiet enough. Follow us.”

“What are you doing?!”

“I wanna hear what he has to say. Can’t be any worse than what Mum’s already been through.”

“He’s supposed to be dead! At least, that’s what Mum told us. I see now that’s not the case.” Carrie looked back to see if he was following them, and received a small wave. “I can’t believe this.”

“Neither can I but I feel like I can’t deny him this request. He is our father, after all.”

His sister let out an exasperated sigh. “For once, we agree on something. Let’s get this over with. I’m starving, and want to get home quick.” The siblings led their father to The Green Bottle diner, and took a booth near the back. The place was fairly empty, save for a few patrons sitting at the counter.

The server came over to ask about drinks and handed them some menus but Travis handed them right back. “Just three coffees, please. We won’t be here long.”

“Three coffees coming up.”

“I never said I wasn’t hungry, son.”

“Honestly, I don’t care if you are. You can ask for a menu back after we’re gone, so say what you have to say so we can get home.”

“Okay, okay.” Their father sat back and was silent for a few moments. “You two have grown so much. I’m sorry I missed a lot of it. How long has it been? Seven years?”

“Ten.” Carrie corrected bitterly.

“Ten. My mistake.”

“You’d know if you’d actually sent us birthday greetings once in a while, but no. You couldn’t even do that.”

“No, I couldn’t, actually.”

“Why the bloody hell not?!” Carrie’s outburst caused the others in the diner to look their way, but Travis waved them off. “For the love of the heavens, Dad, why not? Mum made us believe you were dead all this time then you just waltz back into our lives, suddenly wanting to speak to us? Why?”

“Because I still love you both, and your mother too. But you have to understand: I did what I did so she wouldn’t have to deal with the consequences of my actions.”

“What are you talking about? You make it sound like you owed the Irish mob money or something.” Travis concluded jokingly. Their father remained silent. “You’ve gotta be kidding me. Tell me that’s not true.”

“In a sense, yeah, it is.”

“’In a sense’?”

“I did owe people money but not who you’re thinking of. Well, not in the same way, I guess. Before I met your mother, I was mixed up with a bad crew. We did all kinds of horrible things: robbing banks, stealing cars and boats, running gambling schemes; just about anything you can think up. Right up to murders and assassinations. We weren’t any particular group; just a bunch of guys who’d been through hell and back, but were still there for each other. I told you two I was in the service, right?”

“Yeah, but you never said where or when.”

“I did one tour during the Gulf War in the early 90s then another in the ‘War on Terror,’ as the states labeled it, after the September 11th attacks. After fighting against Al-Qaeda, the Taliban; whatever you want to call them, a second time, I’d had enough. Thankfully, I was honorably discharged but myself and several others I’d served with came home more than a little messed up. We had continuous nightmares about what we’d seen, and of course, the military wouldn’t help. Said we must’ve acquired PTSD after the fact, and therefore, they didn’t have to cover our medical expenses. So, we all got loans, along with doing random jobs, for our hospital bills, which, as you can probably imagine, were sky-high.”

“I can figure out the rest,” Travis interjected, sipping his coffee. “So, why did you lead Mum and us to believe you were dead?”

“Because I had to pay off my debts first and I didn’t want any of you to get hurt as I knew the loan sharks would come after you if they thought I wasn’t paying them quick enough. Thankfully, my plan worked and I heard through my grapevine that not only did they not come after you and your mother but they’d also written off what I owed them. That was two years ago.”

“Why would they write it off? It’s not as if it was a bank loan.”

“Because no one vouched for me, so the only one responsible for the debt was me, and you can’t get money from a dead man. They never found out I was married either, so I had to keep it that way.”

“Funny. Always thought thugs like that could find out anything.”

“They’re not always as smart as the films make them out to be.”

Carrie looked at her mobile. “Get to the point. We have to get going.”

“Alright, alright. I want to be a father to you two again. I don’t know if your mother will take me back but I’d be willing to show her I could be the husband she thought I was before I disappeared.” Travis and Carrie looked at each other. “What? I say something wrong?”

“Um, Dad,” Travis began, folding and unfolding his fingers, “I don’t think Mum’s gonna take you back.”

“Why wouldn’t she? I’m not dead.”

“No, but you’ve been gone for ten years and led us all to believe you were dead. We even had a service for you. She was devastated for most of the last decade, until a little over a year ago.”

“What are you saying, son?”

“Mum got remarried, that’s what he’s saying!” Carrie blurted out.

“What did you think she was gonna do? Hell, she even hired investigators to try and at least find your body so she could give you a proper service but nobody could. You did a hell of a job of disappearing, so she moved on.” She sat back. “And truth be told, he’s actually pretty good to her.” Before anything else could be said, her mobile went off. “Great! That’s her phoning now. We’re late! Mum?”

“Carrie? Where are you guys? I told you I wanted you home for supper on time tonight.”

“I know, I know, and we were on our way but then we got sidetracked.”

“Sidetracked? By what?”

“Someone we thought was dead for the last ten years.” Without warning, she forced the phone into her father’s hands. “You tell her since you’re so adamant about coming back into our lives.”

Their father shakily put the phone to his ear. “Hello? Carrie? You still there?”

“Tamerlene?” The other end was silent for a few heartbeats.

“M-M-Malcolm? Is that really you?”

“Yes, it’s really me. I-I’ve missed you.”

“I can’t believe I’m hearing your voice right now. Where have you been all this time?”

“It’s a long story, and I was telling it to Carrie and Travis. I want to be a part of their lives again and yours as well, but they told me you’ve moved on.”

“After almost a decade of thinking you were lying in a ditch somewhere, what did you expect to happen? Damn it, Malcolm, I tried to find you! And you didn’t reach out to me! Not once!”

“I know, and I’m sorry. But I had a damn good reason not to!”

“Stop! Just stop.”

“Oh, she’s pissed now.” Travis scoffed.

“Let me talk to my daughter.” Malcolm handed the phone back to Carrie. “Carrie? You and your brother get home. Now. We can talk about this after dinner.”

“Be there shortly, Mum. I hope you’re happy.” She said to her father after hanging up. “And while I’m glad you’re alive, I’m not at all happy about the way you came back to us.”

“I’d have to agree.” Travis said, standing up. “Reconnecting is possible but don’t rush it, Dad. You have a lot to make up for. Meet us here in two days. Same time. Let’s go, sis.” The siblings left the diner, and Malcolm was alone with his thoughts.

The server, who’d heard most of what had transpired, cautiously walked over. “Did you want to order something, sir?” He only nodded and she brought him a menu. “Just call me over when you’re ready.”

“Thank you.” He half-heartedly glanced at the offerings but his eyes became blurry. “Great way to make a comeback.” He said to himself, wiping the tears away. Glancing out the window, he caught one last glimpse of his children walking away before disappearing into the crowds. “Just like me,” and he did something he hadn’t done since the Gulf War. He cried.

February 02, 2021 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.