Entering the Oblivion.

Written in response to: End your story with total oblivion.... view prompt

0 comments

Science Fiction Friendship American

When you turn 18, you get assigned a job. You have to try really hard in school to get the job you want. I did, and I thought for sure I would get to be a doctor. My parents wanted me to be a doctor. I wanted to help people and be a doctor. But then, I got assigned to be a traveler. I was super confused when I woke up, looked at what my job was going to be, and was super confused. When my parents saw it, they were just as confused. But then there was a knock at our door. In America, you are required to open your door to anyone who knocks on your door and someone in your house is/has turned 18. I live in Tennessee. My mom opened the door. And then men, some in lab coats, others in suits, came and dragged me out of the house.

My parents started to cry. I started to cry. I was just dragged out of the house. Into total oblivion. As I entered the car, I felt a sharp prick in the seat. It hurt really bad. The pain of leaving my parents stung. I was going to move out in a week and then start my job. In the car, there was a movie playing. I didn't know what it was, because I could barely see my surroundings. After about an hour of crying and driving. In a car of total isolation except for the driver who wouldn't talk to me, we arrived at a building that looked like Epcot, but with a big flat top. A very odd-shaped building. Then the men in suits grabbed me from the car and took me out of the car. It felt like I was a prisoner without handcuffs.

Once we got inside, you had to go through a quick security check. You had to walk through a metal detector. Then I got put into a large white room. A very large white room. There was technology/computer stuff strewn about the room. There was a woman at the computer. Once I walked into the room, the woman with the computer dragged me to stand next to the desk. She waited on something to load. She told me that the prick I felt in the seat was a lie detector, they should have told me that. They asked me many questions. The most unassuming one was about my job. But she kept asking me until I told her the truth. They asked me one more question, and then then the men in black suits came back into the room.

They took me out and this time placed me in an empty room. The room made me feel isolated. I felt very alone. The same movie was playing again. The men in black just left me there. I got bored very fast. I tried to remove the lie detector, but it didn't work. Then, the men in black came back in. With another person. This person was from Alabama and clearly was as confused as I was. They said they had been 18 for the past two weeks. They were just waiting, and supposed today was the day. His story was similar to mine. We both decided to be friends and stay by each other's side as much as possible.

Then, there was another kid. Eventually, they gave us food and bedding. Throughout the night and part of the next two days, there were more and more people. It was me, my friend whose name was Harold, then three other girls named Greta, Henrietta, Belle, and five other boys named Daniel, Jeremy, Jacoby, and Chase. Jacoby and Chase were super annoying. Apparently, they were already friends. Daniel and Jeremy shared a strong love for music, and Greta was the nicest to me. Henrietta and Belle, well, they were the popular girls you don't want to ever mess with. They got their phone privileges taken away, and then they started gossiping with each other.

There were ten of us in total. Eventually, they moved the girls into one room with one bathroom and four toothbrushes, and two beds. Bunk beds, luckily. I was happily able to get a lower bunk. There was one set of stairs attached. Greta was on the other bottom bunk. We were best at listening, so we were able to get to the front of the line and best rooms. The blankets and pillows and mattresses were uncomfortable. There was one closet, of the same outfit over and over. They said to get used to it, that it would be the living situation for a week. To get used to each other. They told us the ones in the spaceship would be better. Nicer blankets and pillows and such. Wait, a spaceship! I was so confused. But they wouldn't say much more.

The next day, we get put in the white room. Now, instead of being completely empty, there were some papers on the floor. They had job names and meanings on them. The top one said the captain. Then there was a driver, cleaner, sub/co-captain, backroom, cook, map/compass, missiles, journal. At the very top, there were instructions. "Please read over all these jobs. Then decide which job everyone wants. Make sure that everyone is happy with the job they get. Also, you must decide by today. The captain is the boss. The co-captain/sub-captain is second in demand. If the captain goes down, they take the roll. The driver will drive the ship, the cook will make the food, and the cleaner will clean up after people. The missile will control guns, missiles, etc., the journal will record everything, including this, and the map/compass will make sure the driver is going on track. first aid helps others. Please complete it as quickly as possible."

"Well, the journal should go first," I said, like a leader. "I nominate Henrietta. She seems social enough. And, if I remember correctly, you said you loved social media. So you must be pretty good with writing things." Henrietta gets stared at and everyone nods. I hand her the paper and the pencil. She writes her name next to the journal. "Now let's do the captain." Everyone thinks a little bit. Then people all look at me. I shake my head, but everyone starts looking at me. I keep shaking my head. Henrietta puts my name on the page. I look up, and I nod my head. I wanted to drive the ship, but being captain won't be terrible. "As the captain, I think Harold should be the co-captain."

Henrietta puts him down. We went through all the other jobs then. Greta is going to be the driver, the cook will be Jacoby, the cleaner Chase. Belle is going to be our map/compass, Daniel is going to be on missile control and first aid will be Jeremy. The entire week we were training to get on this ship. Harold and I were prepared for everything. Greta looked like she could fly anything, etc. We boarded the ship all too soon. First, we had pictures. And then we're on our way. The intergalactic crew of travelers. Once we got into space, Greta was experimenting with the controls. That was the first thing she was instructed to do. But one, one sent us into complete oblivion.

April 04, 2022 17:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.