The principle behind Josh's resignation.

Written in response to: Start your story with a character quitting their job, or getting fired.... view prompt

4 comments

Funny Fiction

Josh breathed in deeply and let it out, trying to calm himself. It was only a dozen steps from his desk to the office, but for Josh it felt like the longest walk of his life, like he was on death row. His heart raced, his palms sweaty and his stomach flipped-flopped like a fish out of water.

Finally, he reached the office. The door was open and Josh knocked on the wooden frame.

Knock. Knock.

Helen, the Human Procurement Officer, looked up from her computer screen, “ Hi Josh, how are you?”

“I’m ok,” Josh replied. He almost turned and walked away right then, but he remained steadfast. “Do you have a second?” he asked.

Helen smiled but there was uncertainty behind it. “Sure Josh, have a seat.” She had a way of speaking where she would always say the person's name, as if she was worried she would forget it in the three seconds since she used it last.

Josh entered and shut the door behind him. The office was big enough for a desk, two chairs and even then it was too much. He pulled out the chair, the back hit the wall, and he squeezed in, his stomach partially resting on the desk.

He looked around the cramped office, the white walls were bare, nothing personal. However, her right-angled desk was full. The desk was split into two imaginary parts: the personal side and the business side. The personal side, the part of the desk on her right was full of framed photos, some of her husband while others were of her kids. She had two, a boy and a girl, both in their teens. There were family portraits, pet shots and action shots. Her son played basketball and her daughter was a classical violinist. Sitting tall among the family photos was her university diploma in a glossy black frame. To Josh it seemed like she was more proud of that than her family.

On the other half of her desk, the business part, papers were strewn about her desk. Notes scribbled in every free space. Helen was not one to waste paper space.

“What can I do for you, Josh?” Helen asked, still wearing her uncertain, or ‘corporate’ smile as Josh thought of it. He’d seen it many times in meetings and conversations. 

A requirement of the job.

Do I do it? Josh thought. It was a big decision, sure. But was it as big a deal as he was making it out to be? In a world of homelessness, starving children, sex slaves, overpopulation, was this what the internet called a ‘first world problem’?

You’ve thought long and hard about this, he reminded himself. And that was true. It was something he’d wrestled with for over a week. He listed the pros and cons of his position. He talked it through with himself in the mirror, trying to see both sides of the coin.

One thing Josh prided himself on was his ability to take in both sides of the argument. It was only fair after all.

You thought about it for more than a week and you decided it was a big deal and you couldn’t be a part of the company anymore. So do it!

“I’m going to resign,” he blurted out.

That took Helen by surprise. Her mouth dropped into a big ‘O’, her lively brown eyes wide with surprises. Wherever she thought this conversation was going, this wasn’t it. “Josh...what...why?”

Taking a deep breath to settle his nerves, Josh reminded himself this was the right thing to do and said, “I’ve come to realise the company's views do not align with my own. Not anymore.”

Helen frowned, “What do you mean?”

“I don’t think we are a fit for each other anymore.”

“But Josh, you’re one of our best analysts. Are we putting too much pressure on you?”

Josh shook his head, ““No. You’ve been quite accommodating. Understanding my needs and allowing me to work around my schedule.”

“Is it our quarterly earnings?”

“No.”

“Is it your pay? I know with everything going on these days, money has been an issue for everyone. Pandemics, rising cost of living and all but, and this is from my understanding, our projected revenue is climbing back to pre-pandemic days. And we have you to thank for that.

“In fact, I’ve been in discussions with Phillipa about a potential pay rise once we are back in the black.”

Josh paused. Would more money alleviate his concerns? Could he go against what he now believed in for an extra thousand dollars a year?

No, I can’t be one of those people. I’d be a hypocrite and there is nothing worse than a hypocrite.

“No, while I appreciate you going to bat for me, I am quite happy with my pay. That’s not the reason.”

“Is it your colleagues? Have they done something to upset you?”

Again Josh shook his head, “No, I like them. In fact I am going to be Hamish’s best man at his wedding.”

Helen threw her hands in the air, “Josh, if you’re happy with your pay and work colleagues and the work you do, then what on earth could it be.”

“It’s the cafeteria.”

“What? The cafeteria?” Helen frowned, confusion evident on her face. “What about it?”

Josh sighed. Here we go. “As you probably know, the menu has changed.”

“That’s right,” Helen said, her frown forming into a smile. “We brought in a new catering company. My understanding is the new menu is quite popular.”

Josh nodded, “Yes, everyone raves about it.”

“Then what’s the problem with the cafeteria that you feel the need to quit? Josh, whatever it is, we can work through it.”

Taking another deep breath, Josh let it out slowly, reminding himself that he was doing what was best for him. “The new menu it’s nice and all but…” he paused.

“Yes?” Helen prodded.

Just out with it already.

“They’re serving human meat.”

Helen blinked, taken aback.

“Josh...well…” she started and stopped to collect her thoughts. After a handful of seconds, she said, “I don’t understand. Is that a problem?”

“Well…yeah,” he said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Helen paused, contemplating until she finally asked, “Why?”

“I’m a vegetarian.”


August 28, 2021 04:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Annalisa D.
19:02 Aug 28, 2021

I really enjoyed it! You do a great job building up the tension and suspense and then the ending is so unexpected and funny. Especially him saying it like it's the most obvious thing. I thought the dialogue was good and the character development with the office was nice. Great job!

Reply

Danny G
21:29 Aug 28, 2021

Im glad you liked it and found it funny! Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
05:22 Aug 28, 2021

LOL..oh gosh 😂😂... The starting seemed to be pretty serious and the ending found me grinning so hard. Quite unexpected really. Great Job! I loved it.

Reply

Danny G
06:36 Aug 28, 2021

haha thanks! I was going for a bit of a long set up to a punchline. Glad you liked it! Thanks again for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.