A very stressful 24 Hours

Submitted into Contest #20 in response to: Write a story about a character experiencing anxiety.... view prompt

0 comments

General

I pulled into Mom's driveway at around 7 for our weekly dinner. When I walkedin the house she commented "Stevie, you look exhausted, I have been keeping dinner warm for an hour. Did that boss of yours keep you late again?" I just nodded my head and put my parka on the coat rack and stamp the snow off my shoes, pulling them off and leaving them on the boot tray by the front door.


 She knows how difficult my boss, Teagan Walsh, is to get along with. I have only been his assistant for six months but it has seemed like six years. I thought at first it was because he didn't like me, but then I heard the rumors that he wanted another female assistant, but the last two he had filed sexual harassment complaints against him. He is great at landing accounts so they didn't can him, but they aren't going to give her another female assistant. He resents it and takes it out on me because he can.


Mom shook her head. "You need to be more assertive in that place."


I know, I have heard it say this once a week for the past six months. How many is that? I do the math in my head. 24--she has said it at least 24 times. Well, easier said than done. Besides, it could be worse--other than my boss issues, it is a good job. I don't want to quit and go somewhere else. Besides... the lovely Nicole works just a few desks down.


I changed the subject before mom could say more. "A woman that works in my office went missing--her husband reported it after she didn't come home from work last night. A police detective came to the office today to interview people. They found her car abandoned."


She gasped in shock, "oh! That's awful! Was she your friend?" I shook my head no. 


 "Maybe they will find her--it has happened many times on Unsolved Mysteries."


I nod. Mom is addicted to Unsolved Mysteries.


She spent the rest of dinner telling me about the latest exploits of the cat and the gossip making rounds at church.


I was only half listening to her. I would nod and mmmhmm every so often. My mind wandered back to last evening.


I know the woman who went missing, and it was my fault. 


Her name is Beth Miller. Last night as I was leaving work I saw her by her car, talking to a young man dressed in black. He had facial piercings and looked goth. I thought it was odd company for Beth.  I was too far away to hear what they were saying, but I slowed down a bit when I noticed Beth looking around. She caught my eye, her expression looked a little alarmed. I watched them for a moment, absentmindedly scratching a sudden itch on the inner part of my forearm. The young man took a step closer and said something else to her. Then she turned away from me and got into the driver's side of her vehicle and the young goth walked around and got into the passenger side. They drove off. I shrugged and got in my Camry. He may have been her son. Beth didn't look old enough to have a son his age, he looked around 17 or 18, but hey, you never know. I didn't think any more about it. Until the detective showed up at our workplace asking questions. I told them what I had seen. He told me Beth's car had been found abandoned. I described the guy as best I could, even went to the station on my lunch break and sat with the sketch artist.


I didn't confess any of this to my mom, though.


After dinner she was clearing the dishes and she asked me to take a plate to her neighbor, Father Meekers.


"Wow! Really? He lives next door now? Is he still leading mass?"


"No, he retired, and the church bought the little one bedroom house for him, the one Old Smith used to live. 


Ah, Old Smith. Every neighborhood has a crusty neighborhood grouchy recluse who despised everyone and who seemed like he had been old forever. I had the good fortune to grow up right next door to him.


Father Meekers is a much nicer neighbor.

I carried the plate of food over and rang the doorbell. There was no answer, I figured he wasn't home so I was going to leave when I heard voices coming from the back yard. I walked back there along the cobblestone path and called Father Meekers' name as I came around the corner.


He turned around, and peered at me through thick glasses."Stevie! How are you. I haven't seen you in mass in awhile."


'Oh, I should have seen that coming.' I thought to myself.


"Yeah.." I mumbly lamely. "I uh.. not sure about spiritual stuff right now."


"Well that's too bad. The Lord is patient... though we prove faithless, He never does. What is that?" He asked, eyes on the plate in my hand.


"Oh, mom had me bring you a plate of food. It's fried chicken and collard greens, mom said you really like fried chicken."


"Yes I do.. I'm just not very good at cooking it. Why don't you come in for dessert and coffee, I wanted to talk with you about something."


I groaned inwardly, I didn't want to talk about God, but I didn't want to be rude. I followed him inside. He cut a piece of apple pie and set it in front of me at his little square kitchen table. His house was sparsely furnished, with statues here and there.


He sits down across from me and takes a few bites of food, swallows, then asks "Stevie...how much do you know about vampires?"


I stare at him, "vampires?" I mumbled, around a mouthful of pie?"


"Yes, vampires. What do you know about them?"


I swallowed my bite of pie. "Um...they don't like garlic or sunlight?"


Father Meekers nods his head. "The sunlight part is true...they are nocturnal predators. They don't actually burst into flame...they just sunburn very quickly and severely. That is one of the reasons people used to believe, a long time ago, that red heads turned into vampires when they died. That isn't true either. I know a lot about them...vampires..I mean.... I have an old friend who is an expert."


I just nod and smile as I eat my pie.


His friendly smile vanishes and his expression turns serious. "Have you noticed anyone strange around lately?"


"Someone who looks like a vampire? No, I haven't, Father Meekers."


'He must be going senile', I thought to myself. Should I play along, or not? I don't know how to handle people with Alzheimer's. I was getting even more uncomfortable at this point. 


"Are you sure? Have you seen anyone at your work who seemed out of place?"


I thought about the goth guy. "Well, there was one guy in the parking lot last night…"


Father Meekers gaze turned sharp. "If I remember correctly, you have a birthmark on your forearm. I remember it because when you were in the choir as a teenager, some of the members were all upset because they thought it was a tattoo. When you saw this man, did your birthmark itch, or burn... anything like that?"


I vaguely remembered that my arm started itching while I watched the man talk to Beth.


"How... how did you know…?" I was confused.


Father Meekers stood up abruptly... walking briskly to his front door. "It's a long story, Stevie. One that is better explained by my friend….she is a vampire expert." He stands with his hand on the doorknob. It is clear he wants me to skedaddle. 


"Stop by again tomorrow Stevie...I want you to meet my friend. See you then."


I made the short walk back to my mother's house, said my goodbyes to her, and drove back to my apartment in Rustic Village. I had no intention of visiting that senile old man and getting any deeper into his weird delusion.


At work the next day, I had almost forgotten the whole strange conversation. Nicole, the woman who worked a few desks down from mine, looked stunning in a purple wool suit. I had nearly worked up the courage to ask her on a date.


“Anthony!” My boss’ voice boomed from close by, making me jump. My boss, Teagan Walsh was a Marine (there is no such thing as an ex Marine) who never called me by my first name, Steve, or Mr. Anderson. It was always my last name only, and he always got it wrong. He never missed an opportunity to take out his frustrations on me. Today sounded like it was going to be no exception. “Get these filed for me.” He tossed a pile of loose papers on my desk which promptly slid all over and onto the floor. He walked out without a backward glance. I checked the clock. 4:59. I was supposed to leave at 5 and it was a Friday. I bent down and picked up the papers off the floor.


Nicole sees me, rolls her eyes, comments "You should stand up for yourself more, Steve." As she walks back to her desk. It lifts my spirits that she knows my name and that she seems to be working late too.


We leave at the same time and I walked her to her car. I was trying so hard to think of something clever to say, I ended up saying nothing. Nicole thanked me for walking her to her car and goes to unlock her vehicle. Dejected, I walked to my vehicle when I heard Nicole say "Stay away from me, buddy.* I turned around, afraid she was talking to me, but she was talking to the same Goth guy I saw with  Beth. This time I intervened. "She said leave her alone." My voice trembled. The guy didn't see me as a threat. I was suddenly distracted by a burning sensation on my forearm. Mr. Goth told me to mind my own business--eyes glowing bright purple. He hissed at me and his canine teeth grew visibly longer. I threatened to call the police and the man suddenly charged at me--a blur--knocking me to the ground. My head struck ice, hard. The world spun and went black. I don't know how long I laid there, but when I came to I was covered in snow and I had a massive headache. Nicole, her vehicle, and the man were gone.


I immediately drove to the police station. They don't believe me when I tell them it was a vampire. The big burly officer tossed his pen down when I said that and leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. "You hit your head when you fell, that's what you said? You imagined that part with the glowing eyes and fangs. Listen buddy... thanks for coming by. We will do our best to find your girlfriend." He stands up and hollers across the squad room. "Hey Joe! The perp is a vampire!! You got any garlic at home? Let's go on a "stake out" I got up and walked with the sound of their raucous laughter ringing in my ears.


I went to the ER and got checked out. I had to wait there for almost two hours before I was seen, but thankfully they determined I didn't have a concussion. The waiting gave me a lot of time to think. I realized there was someone who would believe me. I guess he wasn't senile after all. Early Saturday morning I rang Father's Meekers doorbell again. I told him everything ... the vampire...Beth and Nicole…..my arm burning.


"Come in... Stevie...calm down. He had me sit on his brown leather couch. "Would you like a glass of water?"


'I'd like something stronger, like vodka.' I think. But I knew a priest is probably not going to have vodka in the house.


"Water is fine."


He was gone for about fifteen minutes. When he came back he handed me a glass of ice water. "I have spoken with my friend, the vampire expert, she will be here soon. She knows a lot more about this than I do. I'll tell you what I do know. You are a vampire Hunter. The hunters are born with a purple fluer de lis birthmark. Every vampire Hunter is descended from the royal house of Pheonia."


"What? Royalty? I'm not descended from royalty, Father Meekers."


He opens his mouth to speak, but he was interrupted by the doorbell ringing.


"Wonderful! She is here. My friend will explain everything ...but Stevie…" he looked at me gravely. "Be polite." He left the room to answer the door.


'Be polite? What? What does he think I'm going to do? Pour ice water over this old woman's head?' I wonder.


He walked back in. "Your Highness... allow me to present to you Steven Anderson the second." 


'Did he just say "Your Highness"? Good grief! He is senile' I thought to myself.


I was further convinced when he steps aside and I could see his "old friend"


I sighed, a bit disgusted.'She is tall, nearly six feet tall. I admit she looks regal...with a stern look in her sky blue eyes that makes her seem older and wiser than her youthful appearance suggests. Oh yeah... Father Meekers old friend? Looked like a teenager. She had her cornsilk blonde  hair braided straight back into seven braids that hung to her waist, with another braid coiled at the top of her head like a crown.


 'Unusual to see someone her age with such long hair, done up in such an elaborate style.' I thought.


She was wearing black leggings, a dove gray turtleneck, and a long brown duster.


I was still more irritated than impressed, so I made a bad mistake. "This is your old friend? The Vampire expert? A teenager? I'm out of here. I pushed past them, but that was as far as I get. My arm was twisted painfully up behind my back. II was forced to the floor. "What are you...stop!" I cried out in agony.


An imperious female voice spoke in my ear. Throaty, but cold as ice. "Do I have your attention, Steve? My name is Artemisia Valerian Vârcolacu Vânătoree Grey-Hunter Phenian. Princess of the House of Pheonia, former Queen of Kridderin…" 


"And the greatest vampire Hunter to ever walk the earth." Father Meekers interjected.


Artemisia continued "I am not a teenager...I have been alive for 300 years, and I have been a hunter since I was sixteen...and that was a long, long time ago. Don't underestimate again." She released me. My arm ached horribly.


"I know this vampire coven and how they operate." Artemisia seats herself on a wing back chair.


"When was your girlfriend kidnapped?" She asked.


"She .. she's not my girlfriend, she's a coworker... though I hope someday…"


"When!"


"I dunno... around 6pm last night."


"That is not good...this particular coven typically keeps women for twenty four hours, from one dawn to the next. They will try to sell her to a wealthy vampire at the nightly auction. If there are no takers, she will be killed or turned. If she was taken last night, she would have been displayed at last night's auction. She will be displayed again tonight."


"Ok. How do we rescue her?"


"We?" Artemisia asked, arching an exquisite eyebrow. "Who is we?"


"Well..you know…. I mean…."


"Stop stammering. No, I don't know. What did you mean, we?"


"The three of us…me, you, Father Meekers... I thought that was the plan."


"No. Not you. It is too dangerous. I'm not taking a human into a vampire lair. Technically you are a hunter by birth, but you haven't been trained... you were not even aware of your heritage until today. I know you want to save your girlfriend... trust us to do that ... we will have enough to do without having to protect you as well. 


"But ...wait...no offense here, Father Meekers ...but I could be of some help...you would rather take an elderly priest…" I was interrupted by an indignant huff. "I didn't mean it like that... just... I can help."


"Exactly. He is a priest. His role is to pray and bless the mission and the weapons I will be using. That is why I am taking him along. What do you think you will be able to do? You cannot even hold your own against me...a mere teenager…" she smirked. 


I realized she was waiting for an answer. "Well... I can...carry the garlic." Before the words were out of my mouth I realized how lame it sounded.


"Garlic is ineffective against vampires, Steven. Most of that type of misinformation has come from the Vampires themselves ...to keep people from finding out what is truly effective against them."


"Oh. I see." I could see that I was not going to change her mind.


Father Meekers had been sitting there so quietly I had forgotten he was there until he spoke. "You do understand, don't you Stevie?"


I nodded my head, reluctantly. I was curious about something."What did you mean when you said my Heritage?"


Her eyes litup as if she had been waiting for me to ask. "All hunters are descended from a Scotsman named Ian MacPherson.  My son, Josiah Gray-Hunter, also had the fluer de lis, which marked him as a Vampire Hunter."


"Wait... Josiah Gray-Hunter? That's my great grandfather's name…..he was your son? So that makes you…."


"Your great great grandmother!" Father Meekers chuckled. "Mind boggling, isn't it? It is a very interesting story, but we should prepare now." Father Meekers reminded us. "Stevie...go home and get some sleep. I will call you when we return with your friend Nicole."


Nothing I could do then, except to go home and wait. I said my goodbyes to Father Meekers and Artemisia and went home to bed. And that is when I had the craziest dream.

December 17, 2019 16:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.