3 comments

Fantasy Adventure

Weightless white crystals floated through the frosty autumn air turning the bright orange and yellow scenery white with snow. Bucket fumbled for his now lifeless candle as he gazed up at the falling snow. His eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness and he found himself alone. The snow still fell in flowing sheets of white ice but there was now no light.

“Sonso?” Bucket cried for his older brother into biting cold air; there was no answer. Bucket got to his feet and realized he had no idea where he was. He noticed his freezing hands, pink nose, and stiff feet. He collapsed back on the ground and cried.

The snow began to churn softer and finally stopped all together. The dense woods became completely silent and motionless. The sound of Bucket’s tears splashed though the trees. As if in response, a low wail rose from just beyond the trees. Buck looked up and dried his eyes. The sound called out again sounding sweet and gentle.  

Bucket wrapped his arms around his cold frame and rubbed himself with is mitted hands. He tried to keep his remaining tears from falling to the snowy ground. He sniffed and the vibrant humming wail sifted through the silent leaves. A huge snowy face peeked around the trees. Somehow the creature’s presence did not frighten Bucket.

The creature was very white and sparkled as the moon shone through a hole in the clouds.

“Hello?” Bucket called to it nervously.

The creature smiled and floated into the tiny clearing. Its huge head bobbed up and down as it steered itself with its tail as if swimming through the air and floated, weightless on the whispering breeze. It looked like a small whale. It moaned happily and continued its slow swimming dance. Bucket giggled and stepped forward to touch it, but the creature quickly avoided the boy’s hand and swam away.

“Wait! Come back!” Bucket followed with muffled footsteps, trying his best to keep up with the whale.

The whale danced in front of him just keeping ahead. The Soft snow began to fall again. It seemed to swirl and dance with the whale like schools of tiny fish.

The whale did not speak or make a sound but Bucket heard him, “I can help you.” The whale said.

“What do you mean?”

The whale chortled, “You seem to be slow footed.” The whale made a puffing sound and tiny snowflakes shot out of his top like confetti. The flakes landed around the boy’s feet and suddenly he was lifted off the ground and was soon floating and dancing along with the white whale.

“Wait, what is your name?” Buck floated to a stop.

The whale spun around and smiled, “My name? I am the White whale, you may call me Frollaken.”

“My name is Bucket, but you can call me Buck.”

The whale chortled again and nudged Bucket forward, “Come Bucket, let us dance again!”

“Wait! What about Sonso?”

Frollaken looked confused, “What about Sonso?”

“My brother, he doesn’t know where I am.”

The White whale seemed upset, “Your brother?”

“Do you know where Sonso is?”

Frollaken nodded.

“Can you take me-“

Without letting the Boy finish, the whale moaned and disappeared into the trees. Bucket, was left without the snow to make him light of foot. Bucket struggled to catch the whale, but he continually got farther and farther from the creature’s sad worried face.

“Wait! Don’t leave me! Please!” The boy wailed, “Frollaken! Please!” Exhausted the boy collapsed on the forest floor. Desperate now Bucket called out to the woods “Help please! Somebody!” He sobbed, “Please..!”

The forest again held no sound but that of the broken heart and of a small lost boy.

******

Frollaken slowed to a stop and listened. He did not want to go near the humans but he hated when such a young calf was lost and crying. The quiet echoed through the trees, yet the whale heard the muffled cries in the distance. Bucket just needs to be braver. The whale concluded. But he realized the same could be said of himself. Frollaken spun in circles, throwing up dusty snow. He tried to ignore the little boy’s cries, but it was no use. Finally he made up his mind.

******

Bucket lay in the snow wondering what to do. Now that he had followed the whale he was even more lost than before. Sonso was probably worried and looking for him.

A low hum filled the air and a snowy face peeked around the trees. The whale motioned with its fin for him to climb on. The boy jumped onto Frollaken’s back. The whale bolted forward. The trees speed by like passing memories. The falling snow swirled around them and kept up with them even as they moved faster and faster, dancing like dolphins beside and over and swirling underneath them. Ice and leaf sped past disappearing behind boy and whale as more came rushing towards them. Frollaken ended the exhilarating journey, in a flourish of twirls, and settled on the ground.

The Boy, knowing the ride was over, slid off Frollaken’s back and turned to face him. The boy placed his hand on the whale’s cold cheek. With hardly a sound, Frollaken was gone.

“Buckie?” Sonso’s voice was close but muffled by the snow, “Buck! You’ll freeze out here in the cold! Come inside, and we can make some hot chocolate!” Sonso tugged on Bucket’s arm but the boy did not move.

Bucket wondered if Frollaken would ever be back. He looked at his brother, “Oh, okay...”

“Now come on before you freeze your hands off.”

Bucket was about to follow his brother home, when a soft echoing cry rustled the leaves, he turned to the trees hoping to catch a last glimpse of Frollaken, “Good-by my Floating Snow Whale,”

Sonso’s voice felt distant like a sweet chime in the breeze, “Come on!”

Bucket grabbed Sonso’s hand, looking back into the forest one last time. “Good-by Frollaken.”

Eventually Bucket told Sonso about his adventure, but to this day his brother could never be quite sure if it had really happened. 

May 11, 2020 19:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Chelsy Maughan
21:59 May 16, 2020

I really like the concept and the character names a great. Be careful not to overload the reader with information. Think about how you would feel in your characters shoes. Keep practicing and developing your style!

Reply

Stephanie M.
16:06 May 21, 2020

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you like the character names :D I was afraid they were a little weird :P (Names aren't my strong point) Thank you so much for you kind feedback!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carille Durbin
06:21 May 21, 2020

Nice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.