6 comments

Fantasy

I'm so nervous... When should I do it? I've practiced this a thousand times. Just do it!'

Brett had been spiraling for days. Every date we went on he had been nervous. I felt so uncomfortable reading his thoughts. Not that I could help it, but I always felt it was invading other's privacy. I also felt bad that I knew he was planning to propose.

Since before I could remember, I could read people's minds, but only when I was looking into their eyes. Some people might like this 'power,' but I did not. I despised it. It made me realize things about people that I would rather not have known. To know people's true thoughts can even hurt.

Brett stopped walking and brang me back to the present. 'Okay, do it like you planned..' I knew he was nervous, but I played innocent. I was nervous too.

"Amadrya?" Brett was now on one knee, staring into my eyes. We were on a bridge over Bonheur Lake, and this would have been the perfect proposal, but I knew I couldn't accept.

"Will you do me the honor of becoming Mrs. Caspian?" His dark brown eyes looked so innocent, nervous, and hopeful. My eyes were watering. He definitely would not expect this response, and I didn't know how to say it.

"I love you Brett. Truly, but... I just don't think I'm ready yet. This is definitely not a no. I just wish we could take our time."

Brett was silent, still one his knee. He swallowed, and slowly rose. I literally knew exactly what he was thinking, and my heart broke thinking about him. I just needed to tell him my... problem. If he found out after, the consequence would be worse than a broken heart.

" Brett?" I asked. " Can we just take our time? I really want this to work." I grabbed his hands and closed the box.

He squeezed my hands and nodded. Surprised and devastated thoughts were running through Brett's mind.

" Of course. I want this to work too. More than anything." He tried to smile, but I knew he felt rejected, and that was what I really didn't want. He drove me home, and the whole way, we were silent. He didn't even ask me out to another date.

......................

I was jumping by twos up the stairs in my house. I left my phone in my room, and I already missed a call this morning. I found it and answered my phone. I knew who it was before picking it up.

"Hey sweetie. I was wondering if you're free tonight..." Brett finally asked. I felt like calling him all week after the incident, but I decided to give him space. He would come around when he was ready.

"Hi Brett. I definitely am. What do you have in mind?"

"Dinner at 6? I'd pick you up at 5: 30."

"Sounds good." I said. I had to tell him my secret, and it was better now than never. "See you then. I love you."

Brett paused for a second before saying, " I love you too."

.....................

It was 5: 25, and I was waiting by the door. Brett was normally late, but I was always a bit early. I was wearing my crimson red fitted dress and had a matching clutch and high heels. I didn't like wearing jewellery.

My brown hair was curled in large waves, and I kept fiddling with it. I shouldn't have been nervous, since Brett and I had been on so many dates, but i guess the incident made things a bit different.

At 5: 36, I heard a car pull outside. I looked, out and Brett's red 2012 Mercedes was lingering on the driveway. I was about to go out, but I saw him come out first, and start up towards the front door. I opened the door once he got to the porch and smiled. He wore a fitted black suit, with a red tie, and a white dress shirt. "You look lovely," I told him.

'Wow. She looks amazing...' I was flattered at Brett's thoughts. He opened his mouth to say, "So do you. You take my breath away. May I?" He extended his arm out, and escorted me to the car. He opened my door for me. 'Don't mess this up,' he thought. I felt bad that Brett was so worried. Not at all like he used to be.

We arrived at a place called 'Two Oceans,' and the name was lit up in a soft blue. The place was made up of oak wood and it looked very soft and romantic. Brett knows I like low-key restaurants, and this place looked perfect. He got out and opened my door. Offering me his arm again, we walked up to the door. Brett must have made reservations because we were immediately seated. "What do you feel like?" Brett asked me.

Honestly, I felt sick to my stomach knowing what was coming. I would have to tell him my 'power.' "Anything sounds fine to me,"I lied. The menus came, and I was going to tell him now, but i decided to wait until we were eating and less tense. I ordered the salad, and the rigatoni. Brett got the rigatoni as well, but with the rum-glazed shrimp. We talked about life, and how beautiful the autumn weather was. When our orders came, I thought I would tell him, but I stalled it off to dessert. I would wait until the evening was almost over. Before I knew it, we were leaving Two Oceans.

Once we arrived at my house, we sat in the car, waiting. "Brett, I have something to tell you."

"So do I." Brett said. "I'm sorry I rushed into things. I understand that we should take out time, and I am willing to wait as long as I need to for you." He grabbed my hand. "Because I love you so much. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you. I love you."

He left me breathless. I couldn't even remember what I was going to say. We were staring into each other's eyes, and before I knew it, his lips were on mine. His hand moved to the nape of my neck and he kissed me again. He released me and we just sat there, in the car, staring at each other.

'I can't believe we did that.' Brett thought. I agreed silently.

"What did you want to tell me?" Brett asked. I awoke from my stream of thoughts. I couldn't possibly tell him now. It would ruin everything.

"Oh... nothing." I lied again. "Thankyou for the lovely evening Brett. See you soon." I got out of the car and started walking to the front door. Brett honked twice, and I turned around to see him waving as he drove off. I waved back and went inside to bed.

Once I was in my room, I flopped onto the bed. Only then did it hit me. The longer I wait to tell him, the harder it will be.

.......................

In the morning, Brett called me before his work to ask if we wanted to go out for lunch. I agreed, and went to shower. In the shower, I practiced what I would say to Brett. "I have been reading your mind. No, since as long as I can remember, I have been able to read minds." I decided on just telling him however it came out, this evening. Lines never worked. Brett was early for once, and I wasn't even ready. I answered the door, told him to come in, and that I would be down in a few minutes. I was wearing a casual knee length sundress that had spaghetti straps, and buttons down the middle of the dress. I brang a jean jacket in case I got cold. I came downstairs, and Brett walked me to the car.

I decided that I would tell him over our meal, no matter what happened. We arrived at a mexican bar, and Brett walked us to a two person table. The table had little decor, but still looked pleasant.

We were sharing the nacho-combo, when I decided it was time. "Brett," I started. "I have something to tell you, and it may come across as weird."

"Go ahead, I'm listening."

"I am a telepath. And I don't know when it started, but I've basically been able to read people's minds my whole life. It's only when we make eye contact with each other, but I still can do it."

Brett looked confused and he stayed silent for a while before saying, "Wait, what? Are you fooling me Amadrya?" His mind repeated that, along with is she kidding and should I believe her?

"No. Please believe me Brett. I'll prove it. You are thiking 'there's no way I'll guess head on what you're thinking.' " I said.

"Soo... you knew I was going to propose?" He shrunk down once I nodded. "Oh."

"But I needed to tell you this before anything happened. I guess I just was too nervous before."

Why didn't she tell me before? She probablt knows what I'm thinking right now. Do you?

I nodded. "Sorry. I try not to invade other's privacy, but the words just stream into my mind. I know this is a lot to process. I understand if this ruins things for us." I looked away from him, so his private thoughts about us wouldn't be heard.

"It's fine Amadrya. I'll still wait, if you'll have me. Now you'll know my love is true. Because I ove you." More than anything.

I was tearing up, and he slowly reached for my hand, squeezing it, and thinking over and over again, I love you.

We didn't even stay for dessert. We just walked to the car, and as soon as we were sitting in it, he kissed me. And I kissed him back.



March 08, 2020 01:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Jessica G
10:21 Mar 19, 2020

I love a story with a happy ending.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lucy Lomptrom
22:57 Mar 17, 2020

A very touching and satisfying story. Great Job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lucy Lomptrom
22:57 Mar 17, 2020

This story is awesome! Great read, and a good prompt choice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Samuel Slager
22:43 Mar 17, 2020

Wow... good job.. loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Samuel Slager
22:42 Mar 17, 2020

This is a great story..... Well done. definitely deserves a prize. It's one of a kind.

Reply

Lucy Lomptrom
22:58 Mar 17, 2020

I agree! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.