0 comments

General

Susan had always gone to the Missouri State Fair as a child. She had not been to the State Fair in about 5 years, due to her going to college. She had just graduated, and she decided to go with her parents and a few childhood friends of hers. She expected it to be as fun as she remembered it, with some modifications that come along with her age. When she got there, she always remembered getting cotton candy and eating it all. So, she decided to try and recreate her childhood memories with her friends. She seen the line and waited for a little while to see if it would go down any, but it did not get any shorter, in fact it got longer and longer every minute Susan waited. Susan decided to go on with her day, she told herself that she probably did not need those calories anyways. About halfway through the day it got rather hot, when she was a child, she remembered that her father would bring her into the child fun center some days so she could play and meet other kids. She was obviously not the correct age to do this anymore. On other days, if the child fun center was too crowded, she would go with her mother and go to the booths in the air-conditioned building. As a kid she did not care for this activity. She decided to go with her mother and see if her thoughts had changed since she was a child. They did, they certainly did change. Susan and her mother spent around two hours in the craft section. Susan left that building with a brand-new bag full of tiny trinkets and jewelry. She didn’t realize that the crafters had so many items for sale. Susan, her mother and the friends met back up at the bar tent that Susan’s father was at. They sat with her father and got lunch. The tent had multiple big shop fans on the roof, so it was cooler than other tents, but not as cool as the commercial buildings. Susan had realized that her thoughts of the State Fair now had not changed since she was a kid. She just had to adjust her childhood activities and change them into more adult ones. Some, though, she did not have to change. She admired the 4-H children showing their farm animals, Susan enjoyed watching the pig shows the most. Her friends and parents had been every year since Susan stopped going. They were just following Susan around. Sometimes they had to explain to her what some event tents and stations were, due to them being new to the State Fair. The group came up on the military booths, Susan had always wanted to get a shirt from the Air Force, but she was always too shy as a child to go and talk to them. She also remembered that they made the people who wanted shirts do a certain number of push-ups or pull-ups. Susan thought she could do it now that she was older. She got her friend to walk up to the Air Force booth with her, Susan asked if she could get a shirt. The man told her that she had to do four pull-ups and she would get a free shirt. She attempted to do one pull-up and she could not do even a half of a pull-up. The man felt bad for Susan and gave her a shirt anyways. She thanked him and took the Air Force shirt and walked off with her friend. Her mother pointed out a note that was stuck to Susan’s new shirt. She took it off and read it. It was the Air Force man’s number, and name. She told her parents to stay in the general area of the place they were in. She walked back to the Air Force booth and asked the man about the note that he had left on her shirt. He told her that he gave it to her because he thought she was single. He apologized for his assumption. She told him that he was fine, and that she was single, she grabbed a pen and a different sticky note and wrote her name, number and hotel down for him. She asked if he wanted to go to the dance at the arena tonight with her, and if so, he could pick her up from her hotel. He agreed instantly and told her he would be there around 9 o’clock that night. She walked back to her friends and family and told them what had just happened. They were shocked but happy at the same time. Susan had never been to the State Fair dance yet. They continued with their day. Susan made them stop at the petting zoo so she could feed the small animals. They went back to the hotel rooms and her friends helped her get ready for the dance. It was about 8:30 pm, Susan had her prettiest outfit on, she did not want to stand out too bad, so she just had a cute, bright burgundy plaid button up, with a bright white camisole under top and some cute, denim shorts. Her friends curled her long, brown hair, and did a brown smoky eye shadow for her. Her final touch on her whole look was, in fact, her favorite matte lipstick, in the same shade of burgundy that matched her plaid top. Her bright, white teeth stood out when she smiled. It was 8:45 and she was putting on her heeled boots, as she hears a knock on the door. Her mother opened it to see the Air Force man standing there. He was dressed in his nicest jeans and his Air Force jacket. The friends rushed to get their shoes on and grabbed their identification cards and the group headed out to the State Fair dance. It was about a two-minute walk from the hotel to the arena. They got to the dance and it was already crowed with all types of people. At one point through the night the Air Force man, Randy, asked if she would like to dance. Susan agreed and they went to dance. 

The next morning, Susan woke up in her hotel room, and she was happy. She had the best time at the dance with Randy and her friends, and she couldn’t wait to have next year to go to the State Fair again. She enjoyed her memories of the State Fair as a kid, but she couldn’t wait to make more as an adult, too. 

October 14, 2019 00:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.