Adaline's Death and Rebirth (part 10)

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Teens & Young Adult Suspense

Adaline watched Zack’s face as Damian and he left the room. Her heart just sank as she thought to herself, I am sorry guys, but I can’t face you after ditching you. Adaline felt the stone climbable around her and her fur peeked out. Adaline looked up at the moon through the small window in awe. Ethan wasn’t the only villain that wanted to change the world; Adaline has a side that should have been destroyed when she made the Forgotten’s pen, the mask she wears hides the truth and reality from her because of the pain it brings her. The part that brought Adaline pain was the thoughts and worries of not being able to be the perfect daughter that her dad wanted even though he told her that she could grow up to be anything she wanted to be. She still remembers those nights that she spent crying over how she looked and acted; the fears were getting stronger now that she was in high school. That side of Adaline decided to be strong and wild; the leader of the demons. Adaline turned to leave when the smell of human blood met her nose... 


Harper woke up tied to a chair with barb wire sitting at a dining table. Also sitting there were the others, their mouths sewn shut. Harper went to try to extend her hand to her mouth, knowing the consequences. While the wire dug into her skin, tearing her arms open, Harper ran her fingers over her lips. Thankfully, whoever had been sewing the gang’s mouths hadn’t gotten to her yet. Harper closed her eyes and started to mutter an incantation, “Let time become a blank piece of paper and let reality become my ink.” Once she had finished speaking the world around her started to rewind. When Harper opened her eyes, she was back on the horror island with Kelsey following her. Harper felt a chill run down her spine as Kelsey and she stepped through the portal. Kelsey looked at her, “Is everything alright?” he asked as she felt deja vu. Harper turned and knocked Kelsey to the ground and hit a nerve causing him to pass out. Harper walked to the well to meet the snake girl and Norman... 


Zack and Damian walked in silence after leaving the room where Adaline’s wolf form was strong. Damian looked at Zack whose red eyes became dull and had tints of grey in them, “Hey, Addie says that nothing can kill her here,” Damian said with a glint of hope in his eyes. Zack tried to creak a smile but the truth in his heart knew differently. Addie had written about this in her guide book; Zack knew because he had spent hours reading it while searching for her. Turning a character into stone was one of the ways she thickens the plot, but since Addie has been in the story worlds for so long without coming back to reality the story world must think that she is a character. Addie calls this story structure the, “Save the cat Structure”. Zack remembered Addie’s voice explaining it to him after school, “The cat is my protagonist and the tree is the conflict. Now, what I do to get the readers into the story is start to throw obstacles at my ‘cat’.” Zack missed those days when Addie wrote the stories and nothing bad happened. Sure, the younger him would have wanted the adventure, but if that met that his best friend would end up dying, Zack would have just stayed in bed. A high pitch scream pulled Zack out of his thoughts as it echoed through the long hallway. The demon girl was standing over his shoulder, grinning when he and Damian took off down the hallway…


Tina woke up tied to a chair with barb wire sitting at a dining table. Also sitting there were the others, their mouths sewn shut. Tina let out a blood-curdling scream, thankfully, her mouth was free. There were ghosts also in the room with her, who turned to look at her while she screamed. Tina recognized one of them; the little boy who had two different colored eyes was standing next to her sister, Liz. He floated over to Tina and started to bend the bar wires away from her skin so she can pull her arms out to free herself. Tina looked back at the ghost to thank him, but he was gone. A little girl floated past her and said, “You helped him pass on, so, he’s gone.” Tina looked at the girl, “How do I help the rest of you?” The girl’s face hardened, “Kill the white wolf and we will be set free and most of us will pass on.” Tina swallowed her fear back down while her stomach did backflips as she spoke, “I will.” Just then Zack and Damian came bolting through the door... 


Harper looked down at her handy work; Kelsey, Norman, and the snake girl were tied up to a tree and she barely got a scratch. The joys of time travel, Harper thought as she checked the time. Her phone said 5:14 p.m., but time in the story worlds is a funny thing. Harper did know that the others didn’t have a lot of time. Harper turned to leave when Kelsey’s eyes widened, “You’re not going to just leave us here, are you?” Harper smiled at the fear in his voice, “Why kill you when there are things here that do worse stuff than kill?” she said as she opened a portal and waved goodbye with a glint of joy in her eyes... 


The green-eyed girl put on her red rose and went to the dining room to eat the devil’s spawn and the intruders. The sounds of a low growl coming from behind her stopped her in her tracks. A brown wolf with beautiful sea blue armor bared her fangs and snarled... 


Zack and the others ran down the hallway trying to find the exit, but only to find a battle blocking the way. A big white wolf was fighting a small brown one wearing blue armor. Zack saw the truth; Addie was alive, well at least for now. The white wolf was twice her size and had mange to creak Addie’s crest plate. Zack looked around for something to help Addie when the demon girl was standing over by Addie with a grin that went from ear to ear. Zack knew what he had to do... 




This is the end of book 3 and the Pens of Fate Saga. Zack and some of the other characters in my stories will have their own book sagas that break off the main story. Thank you for reading the Pens of Fate.




May 06, 2021 01:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.