14 comments

General

  You looked out the window and, not for the first time, thought about how wrong the weather forecast had been.

You have never believed them before, so you don't feel let down when you look outside your window. 

They had promised sunny skies and cool breezes, but instead your view is obscured by droplets on the window, and your peace and quiet has been traded for a soft pitter patter. 

You always loved the rain, especially when it's unexpected like the drizzle occurring outside. The plants that surround you must love it even more. It’s quite sad seeing these plants cut off from their would-be natural environment, only observing the weather from behind a glass pane. There are many different kinds of plants trapped in here; violets, daffodils, lilies, chrysanthemum, roses, the list goes on. You also grow herbs, thyme, basil, parsley, rosemary, sage. You name it. 

These plants are your only friends, you care for them always, you even sing to them. The plants won’t judge you, or your voice. You also like to paint them, and you fuss over which ones look happy together, what colors are complimentary, and where they are positioned in the set, even though they always look beautiful.

Today is no day for painting, however, because the rain distracts you and plugs up your creative juices. You look at your plants.

The plants stare back at you. You can't help but to feel bad for them for keeping them inside. You wonder: what could be done?

You decide that they belong outdoors, all of them. They must be freed to enjoy this wild downpour of primordial fluid. You round up all of ‘your’ plants, hundreds of them, and leave them at the door leading to your backyard patio. You decide not to put on your raincoat, nor even your rainhat, which came in handy in the past. You want to soak in this dark and dreary rainfall. The plants agree with you.

One by one, you take them outside. 

You know they must enjoy it because they dance and flop about with the wind, not a worry in the world. You decide to join in their revelry, arms outstretched, catching the rain in your mouth and spinning round and round and round again.

It seems as if Mother Nature has taken notice of your rain dance, because in only a few minutes, the clouds part and the sun shines through. You let out a soft sigh of bittersweet relief. You and the plants are thankful, and you're sure that the weatherman must be thankful too, for he was right after all. You lay down on the still-wet patio floor and stretched out, feeling just like a flower and soaking in the sunlight.

You’ve been laying here for hours now, too content to even move. You hear the plants around you and the birds chirping, and jump when something grabs your arm. You open your eyes to plants growing and reaching out at you, grabbing your other arm and your legs, holding you down on the patio floor. You let out a scream, and then..

You wake up to the sound of rustling. It is getting dark out. You sit up, incredibly fast, and have a look about. You see two eyes stare back at you from inside the mass of potted plants.

A cat! All black with a white stripe going down the center of his face. You reluctantly reach out to him, and he pulls back, retreating into the small forest on your patio. You have an idea. You walk into your kitchen to look for some bait. Perhaps some canned tuna will be a success. You grab it from the cabinet and rush outside, only to realize you have to open the can first. You run back in, open it, and then take it out and put it on a plate. You run fast outside (hopefully he's still there!) You can tell the cat is hungry, because he immediately comes out and starts eating the food.

You reach out, again, and pet him, he doesn't seem to care, as he keeps eating. He finishes the food and lets out a looong stretch, and brushes up against your arm. He purrs and you smile at your new friend. It is now almost nighttime, you decide to leave the plants outside, and you take the cat inside with you. He seems to feel right at home, exploring the new environment and occasionally coming back to get some more pats and scritches. He is a very nice cat, and you are glad to have met him. You call him with you into your bedroom and flop onto your bed, exhausted after a long day of excitement. The cat jumps up with you and lays down next to you. 

You fall asleep.

You wake up to the early morning sunlight glowing through your window and casting a light on your face. You sit up and notice that the cat is no longer in bed with you. You walk out of your room and into your kitchen and you see him, basking in the sunlight from the kitchen window. You can't help but feel like something is missing, and you remember you brought your plants outside. 

You go out your backdoor, and you freeze. 

You fall to your knees, speechless and confused. Your plants were destroyed. All of them, ripped out of their pots and thrown about the patio. You let out a wailing gasp and start to cry, how could this happen!? You shouldn't have left them outside, they would have been safe if you would have just taken them back in. You don't know who or what committed this atrocity. 

You try to think about what you can do to save them, and you decide to re-pot the ones that are salvageable and take them back inside with you. You learned your lesson, your plants are too important to leave them exposed. 

You manage to save almost all of them, and decide that no permanent harm has been done. After you move them all inside, your new friend the cat sniffs and swats at them, having fun and prancing all about. 

You take a deep breath and smile. 

All is well in the world. 

June 20, 2020 19:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Zilla Babbitt
12:29 Jun 29, 2020

You asked me to read, so here I am. So sweet! I like the descriptions and the slow way the story's pulled along. Two things: stick to one tense, don't switch around. Also, the ending was sort of rushed. Spare a few more paragraphs about you healing the plants. Good descriptions. Keep it up!

Reply

00:55 Jul 03, 2020

Thanks for critiquing me, I'll take your advice to heart :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate MacDonald
09:19 Jul 02, 2020

A lovely gentle story that made the part about the nightmare jump out at the reader, good shock value I thought. A good read.

Reply

00:56 Jul 03, 2020

Thank you! I was going for a softer story so that means a lot. :)

Reply

Kate MacDonald
05:22 Jul 03, 2020

My pleasure, the part in your story about being grabbed by the plants and then waking with the shock is known as a "jump scare" in movies, I wonder what it would be called in a book :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aqsa Malik
10:00 Jun 29, 2020

This was a really sweet story! I like how the conflict wasn't something so huge, it made it an easygoing read. There were just a few things I noticed that I'll mention as feedback: -You tend to repeat a lot of conjunctions like "and" in long sentences, which makes it hard to focus on what you're saying. -You also have some really long sentences that would sound better separately or shorter. -The part where you say "spinning and spinning and spinning again"-the word "again" should either be repeated instead of "spinning" or removed al...

Reply

00:53 Jul 03, 2020

Thanks for the critique! glad you liked it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
12:02 Jun 28, 2020

Very sweet and heartwarming story! Really well-written. I loved the whole cat idea and especially the last line. Also, would you mind checking out my story if it's not too much trouble? Thanks and good luck!

Reply

20:13 Jun 28, 2020

Thank you! i appreciate the kind words, and of couse I will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:02 Jun 27, 2020

Interesting story. You have a unique style and use your vocabulary wonderfully. Good play on the words in the title. It made me smile. The story is well written and I feel like I am part of it. Well done.

Reply

23:57 Jun 27, 2020

i appreciate the feedback! :) it was my first one so that means a lot to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Great story -- beautiful descriptions!

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:41 Jul 17, 2020

This story had a slow pace which fits well with the themes, I really liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Batool Hussain
04:49 Jun 29, 2020

A wonderful story, Alexander! Amazing. I loved it:) Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.