Reconciliation

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story in which someone finds a secret passageway.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

On a Sunday noon-time George sat on the couch going to the pages of his dairy until he came to one particular page the day before and his wife along with their son will be heading for a vacation road trip to a scdertif

Dear Dairy

 I am content with my life more than I was about a year and a half ago. I won’t directly start with the profession I used to have but now the profession through I am settling in my life. I am salesman of a toothpaste company and my wife who I don’t know chose me as a life partner because I really don’t deserve her she is up at the bank and much more high paid than me. Besides I really don’t enjoy that much at the toothpaste factory but that’s the best job I had until now with about an average salary. Life seem to cooperate with me as I had started to do with that. A year and a half a ago I don’t know what shadows of evil were lingering upon me when I along with two of my drug-dealing partners made over an eighty million dollars but the issue was we were not out of the woods because the idiot cops figured out our plans . I don’t know where both of them rests now earning a basic salary of $15,320 and living with the one true purpose of his Life, Ella. However I am content with my life but my internal ego doesn't want to be in this monotonous task living the life of a normal salary man but you were a king of the drug empire now you wake up at seven as I was being controlled. I am still baffled with this withdrawal from my former business and I was so attached to who I have been if I could only..

No I cannot indulge in my lusty pleasure because I have promised my true love not to who Ella is. Ella helped me in this crucial time to conceal my identity because currently I was the most wanted drug-dealer.

Ella Salt was my classmate in college. Starting off with her physical trait she was as beautiful as a full moon. She has short auburn hair and cliché style just similar to earn all the gazes in the school. Only that wasn’t where traits ended. She was also a genius in academic courses and every time managed to secure the top position. She was a venerable figure to everyone and an intellect and devotion to her small group of friends. She chose the commerce group as well as me but now I come to think of it we were never a counterpart of her like she was perfect and she didn’t fall into traps like I did.

My love to you dear dairy

24.03.2020

George Harvey finished reading his diary entry which was however dated to a year ago when he finally left his trauma. He was resting upon the living room couch when from the corner he saw his son who was only six months but full of energy. He was a cherub with rosy cheeks and was a winsome pleasure for the whole family. Tom was his name which was given by Dave himself which he got the inspiration from the acronym 'TIME OF THE MONTH.' This acronym lingered in his mind for a really long time although he didn’t remember from where he had learnt that. "GeorgeI hope you have loaded all the suitcases in the car or have you forgotten the idea of the road trip."  "Of course not everything is packed and loaded with complete slack."

Ella was pleased to hear that ''than what is waiting to come on'' and she aimed for the front door. I followed her as I stepped outside I saw that the green grass began to grow again and I will again have to mow the lawn.


 


I slaughtered the long tall grass as I came to my car. Ella was already seated with Tom on her lap.


I also got into my driver's seat and inserted the keys.


The engine ignited giving a shrill purr and soon the car was racing down the street away from their home. The expression on Ella's facial  expressions was weird as if she was in disgust of something. Are you okay I inquired she nodded her head vigorously. The road was getting bumpy and then I remembered her phobia of bumpy roads. To keep her calm I switched on the radio so her mind can wander from the perilous things running wild in her mind radio did calmed her And an expression of calmness and gratitude returned to her face and she seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. I kept driving although long road trips don't suit me either but what can we do I don't even remember how we came to this point.


I realized I had a greater wish to fry when I checked my weather forecast which didn't say favorable response but kept flashing the warning sign of the upcoming run, and not any mere rain but one of those rains when It was a dark and stormy night. I didn't like it. The flash of the lightning, the roar of the thunder, and the pelting shower of the torrential rain brought from deep within her a primal, raging. They were going somewhere which even I couldn't figure out. My glance fell in the direction of his wife who was fast asleep.


I checked his GPS  doubtful that it had led them in the wrong place which it certainly did. I couldn't believe how stupid I and Ella both could be that they didn't care to check their GPS before commencing their journey but I had vibes that somebody manipulated the GPS because he enters the correct address of the destination of their vacation. The fortune was bad enough that at first I  couldn't get the signals and now the only hope which could prevent him from getting lost was about to power off. Ella dear wake up Ella I shoved her and finally she gave in, Tom too woke up struggling to open his eyes what is it Emma asked her voice low as she is very lethargic we have got a problem. What type of problem she inquired, somebody has put the wrong location in the GPS and in addition to that my phone is dead! I said almost feeling ashamed but I trusted her that she will have backup every time but the competent people of all time can also fail. “Well just take my cell phone” she said confidently and groped in her handbag as the sky was getting older. After she was finished searching her bag an expression of guilt overtook her and she looked as if she was about to cry. “I left my phone at home along with the charger.” Don’t worry I assured her I don’t think we had come to a very remote place we will get out of this dilemma he said tried to show optimism.


She nodded fighting back her tears but I was long gone in his quest of finding the right path but in vain. He would have walked a few distance away from his Miranda car but at first there were light rain drops tender and sweet but now the dark clouds ruled over the sky by their loud and threatening claps to scare its audience among them one was George. He kept fighting against the rain because he thought he was going to find the right path. With great sorrow and regret I have to tell you that after the next event his life will always be in unrest. It was like a ferocious battle which both the rain and I tried to win. The rain was lashing harder than ever but I kept fighting through it to reach the end. But even his ardor didn’t support him as he was making his way through the chilling, biting winds but that hard and coarse rock came in his way made him stumble to his final destiny. And there my brain temporarily shut down. I couldn’t recall how many days, hours or minutes had passed his consciousness when he finally gained his consciousness. The place was pitch dark as if no light or happiness was ever bright here.


This place seemed so close to his heart but still seemed very strange, distant, forgotten.


 


“George  you have finally reached the one true distance you had to travel.”


Dazzled I got up endeavoring to make out the owner of the voice


I saw a silhouette coming from the dark. It was dark, gloomy and mysterious. Until I found out that it wasn’t that mysterious but someone close to my heart who was trying to get his spot back.


“Dj-22?” I said hesitantly that my prediction can go erroneous but it wasn’t.


“True friends never require time to recognize one another yet true partners.”


I felt all the insecurities coming back I felt vulnerable. I hoped that I wouldn't fall for that trap again which baited me in college.” I knew I had to turn him to the authorities but then what about my hidden identity.” “What is this place?” I started this conservation although all the memories came back to me. “You don’t remember our secret passageway, I am truly surprised how that women had corrupted you taking you away from your real motif of your life.”


A fire lit in my heart.


“Well, all the meth we used to sell through these secret passageways you forgot so quickly although you were the one who found these.”


And they all came back to me. My memories were all wiped of the time I spent with Ella and only remembered those lusty times of my life when he pursued his true passion where I  was treated with respect and not had to hear the scolding of the upper management. When I was the king of the realm and no one was there to make threats until the cops came along on the right path after being engrossed in the red herring for a long time.


I felt as if he wanted his old life back and could no longer cope up with this one. And this reconciliation with Dj-22 is the best thing.


The monotonous routine of my life wasn’t an enthusiastic phase anymore, discipline never suited me. But if I Would espouse the way if life then I would waste Ellas laborious endeavors just in a few moments? He vowed to leave his previous life before him and abstain from those who had formed the best version of me. The internal conflict within me ranged more and more yet no conclusion came. My heart was undecided as it was a dilemma his former partner and friend stood before him. “What are you doing here? I inquired. “The police didn’t find our secret passageway and I am still successful today because of this passageway.” He paused making eye contact with me. Then he resumed “George you can return back to your normal life you don’t have to follow normal people’s customs. You know who you truly are.” He finished his voice so persuasive that I  gave in one second. “You are right I belong here and nowhere else he admitted and I will never leave you.”

It was the same promise he made to Ella but this was the one where his faith laid.

 

Two Years later

Ella Harvey sat on her couch. Silent tears she was shedding. As she was reading the newspaper with bold head lines saying "Drug Empire Back in Attack" Emma instantly knew what this meant and her heart was grieving. She was upset about spending her assets on someone who was so self-centered to not even care about his son.

Final destination was still uncertain.




February 29, 2020 02:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.