0 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

The evening atmosphere was with a buzz of activity. Cars dashed while changing lanes, exiting, and entering through the various on and off-ramps connected to the busy Nairobi Expressway. Work was officially over, but the sun still shone like it was a hot sunny afternoon. Today was a memorable day for Charles. Two things made this particular day of Thursday 20th March 2025 momentous.

Firstly, his long-time best friend, Eric, will arrive at JKIA on a Lufthansa aircraft from Germany. Secondly, today was a peculiar day of the year. Equinox coincided with his best friend's arrival. A phenomenon in which time zones experience equal daytime and nighttime hours.

Charles softly mumbled to himself within his car, coming up with an estimated time of arrival.

"So touch down will be at around 6:20 pm. "

Charles made a glance at the time displayed on the dashboard.  

"Wow. It's 5:55 pm already. "remarked Charles.

Almost immediately, Charles's right foot stepped on the gas pedal, resulting in a slight outburst of speed that propelled the car ahead-showing other vehicles dust.

There…..now that will give me enough time for the tolling station and screening at the airport.

Charles flicked a button resulting in his side window rolling back into the door; this let in a cool breeze of air in the car that filled the interior. Charles took this moment to reflect on how times have changed since he saw his best friend.

Just then, Charles's phone lit up with a ding sound notifying him of a message.

Buddy, we are almost reaching touch down. You won't believe what I have brought along.

Just then, another ding came along with another message, this time a picture taken of German Bratwurst sausages. Their shiny brown crust and thickness were enough to make Charles drool, triggering hunger puns that initially were absent. Instead, anticipation was building up within him steadily-waiting for the appointed feasting time that is to earmark the end of this day.

Later, Charles parked his car at the designated spots and walked into the airport at the arrivals section. Just then, another ding sound blasted the air from his phone.

Everything is set. Meet you at GTC.

Charles' face assumed a relaxed look. It seemed everything was set on the other end. All that was left was his arrival.

Charles saw people come up on the arrival section only for them to be pounced upon by family and friends. At a distance, Charles noted a group of four dancing and singing songs of praise in Kikuyu around a tall man wearing an exquisite suit. The vigor that was exhibited by some of the folks was astounding, especially when you consider how old they were.

After what felt like an hour, Charles noted a middle-aged guy wearing a black hoodie with the name "OKTOBERFEST" written in white color with some gothic font across the front side of the hoodie with two glass mugs full of beer displayed above it. Nothing was shocking about his appearance. He still maintained his slender physique, a matter that Charles always teased Eric on.

"Well, it seems that even Germany couldn't get you jacked up or fat."

"Could you stop yapping and grab my suitcase."

"So, how was the flight?"

"Well, I pretty much slept through most of the flight."

Charles took hold of his suitcase and rolled it on the white granite tiled floor as we headed out for the parking area.

"So, how was last year's Oktoberfest?"

"Well, it's the stuff of legends. Only heavyweights are allowed." Eric teased; This triggered the not so fond memories of their drinking escapades years back, which most, if not all, ended with Charles wrenching and puking his guts out in the toilet.

These flashbacks triggered memories of the momentous day when Eric had to leave the country. However, it was not as ceremonial as his return due to the fast-approaching opening day for college. Six years ago, Eric had pounced upon a golden opportunity for a full-paid scholarship in a renowned engineering college in Germany.

This opportunity was a life-changing event for Eric and one that was a culture shock. Challenges came his way. But Eric was adaptive to his environment, and he caught up. He ended up being the first in his class. Immediately after college, he got an internship opportunity that awarded him experience and a stellar recommendation from his supervisor.

After years of hard work, he was finally home. The two quickly got back in the car, and within minutes they were on the highway again. The melodies of "Narudi Nyumbani" saturated the vehicle as it streamed through the sleek tarmac lanes.

"Ok, so what are you up to?"

"Oooh, nothing really. Just a small gathering of friends."

"Whenever someone says nothing. This usually means there is something big."

"By the way, where are we going? We passed the exit heading to your place."

"Relax. We are not heading to my place. A proper welcoming is needed. Unfortunately, my house can't cater for that….yet."

''Mmmh, let's see."

Charles took an exit ramp and headed for GTC towers. The new high-rise buildings are the latest hotspot in Nairobi. Anything you wanted was available within the high-rise towers to cater to one's needs, from residential apartments, business complexes, recreational facilities, among other things. The buildings are a one-stop-shop for luxury and pleasure.

"We have arrived."

''This is a prank, right. You must be pulling my leg."

"Hahaha……just get out of the car and shut up," Eric responded cheekily.

The two grabbed the luggage and headed for the reception desk. After processing, they took a lift to the 20th floor. This was a truly remarkable experience for Eric. The décor of the entire building left him in awe.

Charles, who was a few steps ahead, smirked in a conniving way, knowing full well what was in store for Eric.

"We will drop your luggage here, then head out," Charles spoke while opening up the door. But, instead, they were greeted with darkness.

"Whose house is this?"

Suddenly the room lit up with light. Shouts broke out like a might roar piercing the serene atmosphere as people in unison shouted out the words:

"KARIBU NYUMBANI!!!"

The commotion was enough to startle Eric with a surprised look on his face.  

"Welcome home, buddy." Remarked Charles.

Charles came out of nowhere in mid-air, anticipating a chest bump from Eric. Though distracted, Eric was able to meet him halfway, which invoked celebratory cheers from the crowd.

Sooner than later, people surrounded Eric wanting to hear of his experience in Germany. Eric was taken aback at first; at the back of his mind, he felt that there was a familiarity that he had with the crowd. But upon seeing their faces, Eric couldn't quite determine where he knew the group from.

Then it clicked. Eric remembered most of the faces from his interactions as a team builder in Aspire. Aspire was a team-building venture that primarily focused on youth in high school and colleges. It was made to cultivate networking among the youth and instill fundamental skills for surviving in the marketplace and society.

Then a 24-year-old lady caught Eric's attention. What was captivating was her brown eyes that seemed to penetrate Eric's soul by simply looking at them. It felt as if Eric was left naked, exposed before her eyes. This feeling of invasion was familiar, one he knew all too well.  

"Hey, Eric, it's been a minute."

"Wait….Stacy, how've you been?"

 Stacy casually approached Eric with her hands flailingly open. She was met with open arms as the two locked each other in a tight embrace, with Stacy leaning her head on Eric's shoulder.

"Awwwwwww," the crowd erupted.

Mark came in from outside with a disappointed look:

"Sorry, guys catering are busy. They got some foreign dignitaries keeping them busy."

"Why don't we cook for old times sake. There is no hurry." Eric interjected.

"Sounds like a plan."

The crowd of people gathered around and divided themselves into groups. Everyone was to be busy with something. So the crowd was split into three groups, each with the responsibility of delivering food, entertainment, and drinks, respectively.

To avoid time wastage, the majority of the group was in the food business. So a range of food items had to be purchased and brought back here for the cooking process. On a positive note, GTC towers had everything they could want to kick start the party.

As a treat, Eric decided to prepare the German sausages as a special treat for the crowd. He had brought loads of them. How he managed to pass them through customs without raising suspicion will forever remain a mystery.

After half an hour, everyone came back with all the required food materials. A huge chunk of the budget went to both the drinks and meat; for this occasion; it was decided to acquire an assortment of meat varieties to satisfy the palate. Given the abruptness, we could only plan for goat meat, chicken, beef, and liver.

The group decided best to give a good warm welcome with delicious finger-licking dishes that are mouth watery and are Kenyan at heart.

The most apparent carbohydrate to complement the meal is plain old ugali. Simply a mountain of well-cooked maize flour. The budget was not as much. But considering the folks present in the group, five packets of maize flour were bought.

The vegetables were mainly to make kachumbari: a mix of finely chopped onions mixed with chopped tomatoes. A particular batch of spiced kachumbari was left for the enthusiasts of anything spicy.

The vegetables were the easiest to prepare. All it took was a sharp knife and a master at the kitchen blade. The bulk of the work was preparing the meats. It required the delicate touch of a master chef who knows his spices and his way around the kitchen.

The work was tedious, but soon folks had a taste of or, in this case, the savory aroma of meat. The smell saturated the room. Everything within the apartment was impregnated with a savory aroma. Enough to make others in the group salivate.

The hardest part was yet to face them. To cook ugali that would satisfy twenty-five bellies. That required a master with the strength of 10 men and a steady mwiko to make sure even cooking of the ugali. This was no longer cooking. It was a hardcore exercise routine that tested one's upper body strength and maneuverability. The ugali-making process is one to enjoy and not to rush.

Therefore the folks got in the vibe for good music, hoping the tunes might boost morale. But, as the saying goes, many cooks spoil the broth, and this saying could not be further from the truth.

Finally, it was done. The meal was placed on the huge coffee table to ensure all got a view of the delicacies that would soon find themselves in their mouths. The place was saturated with tantalizing aromas and colorful scenery that was satisfying to see.

Cool tunes were played in the background as drinks began to be dispersed. Finally, Eric came in with the last food item. The much-awaited grilled German Bratwurst sausages. Everyone had their eyes on them with curiosity, irking to munch them away in an instant. Sure enough, the plate of sausages was the first to go.

People dined and laughed as the sound of spoons, forks, and cheer spread across the room. It was a good enough place to welcome a brother and friend home.

July 02, 2021 13:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.