15 comments

Sad Inspirational Romance

Dear Asher,

I wish that you could be here with me. I wish you could see me get drowned by a wave and still emerge from the dark blue sea happily, getting back on my board. I wish we could laugh by the beach together, clinking tropical drinks and watching the kids build sand castles. I wish I didn’t feel so alone.

I feel like eleven months after the accident I should still be mourning you, but I know you wouldn’t want that of me. I wish this trip wasn’t to ease the stress of everything for the kids. I wish this fun trip could be for a fun reason.

But I think you’d love to be with us, too. I played with the kids on the beach today, the palm trees swaying above us and Mount Pu’u Kukui looming over the resort. We had a blast- I remember when we had our honeymoon on this very island, at this very hotel, where we surfed and crash-landed on the very same jagged rock I crash-landed on today. 


Dear Asher,

I bet you’re proud when you see the kids, because I sure am. I remember the day they were born, how the two twins cried the melodic tune that was replaying and rewinding through my brain for so long. I never wanted it to go away- but it did, after the accident. Now they’re both eight years old. I took them on a hike today down the warm Maui coastline, we went snorkeling, they played on the beach and now they’re fast asleep.

I remember how you raised them way better than I did. I’m lost in the wide world of parenting without you to guide me through it. They’re good kids, but it’s still pretty hard.


Dear Asher,

Today was really fun. We took a ferry to our own little private island that we’d rented, and we had a lot of fun exploring it and playing on the beach. It was probably our best day yet. But I still feel incomplete. Like part of me has vanished all of a sudden. It’s like you’re following a compass, but then the needle just starts spinning around with no rhyme or reason, and you don’t know which way to go.

But I’m trying to focus on the positives. For example, the kids and I tried to beat the world record for the world’s biggest sand castle, and I daresay we came pretty close. When we got back from our private island we hiked up Mount Pu’u Kukui. We had a good time relaxing by the beach. It’s like the world is stretched around this island. And in a way, it is.

But not the person who means the world to me.

It was a few months after the accident when I actually started thinking of myself as a widow, and thinking of you as dead. At first I thought you couldn’t truly be gone- you just couldn’t be. But when you made no sudden appearance, I began to lose hope.


Dear Asher,

Today we’re going to the big island, where we’ll stay for the rest of the trip. There’s so much more for us to explore, and I’m excited about that. We’re gonna check out Kohala and go surfing there, and then we’ll explore the National Park. 

I spent all night wondering about you. Are you someplace out there, watching over our lives? Are you getting my letters? Do you enjoy them? Or do they make you sad?

Are you sad, being separated from everyone? Do you wish you could return? Are your parents with you? Is your life hard?

Please send me a sign to show me you’re not struggling. Show me that I shouldn’t be crying. Show me that everything will be all right.

Make it your last gift to me.

Please.

I’m bursting into tears as a write this. I have to tough up, show the kids that I’m not breaking down inside. But it’s so hard.

Will life ever go back to normal?


Dear Asher, 

We’re leaving tonight and we’ll be back home tomorrow morning. We’re going to spend most of the day by the beach, enjoying ourselves. The kids will have fun and play by the warm waves. I’ll relax in the sand, and make sure not to do it close to the water today. Last time the tide changed and I woke up to see the Pacific Ocean covering my blanket. It was surprising, embarrassing and inconvenient that all of my stuff was wet, but it was still funny. The kids and I laughed about it so hard.

And this letter can be like that. I won’t switch to the sad stuff a third of the way into it. I’ll be cheerful. I’ll look into the bright future, not the dark past. I know that’s what you want me to do. 

We’re going to start packing up about three hours before our flight leaves and head to the airport in Hilo, where we’ll fly back home.

But yesterday I was on the beach and I saw a man. He had long, black hair and dark brown eyes that made my heart flutter around. But his smile was the best part, so casual and yet confident, and when I walked over he asked me for my name. He was so polite, and his voice drifted through my ears. He said his name was Dominick, and that he lived in Manhattan, and when I said I was from Brooklyn, his eyes lit up. He asked me for my number, and I’ll call him when I’m home. The conversation reminded me of when I met you in Central Park.

We talked and talked and watched the sun set over the horizon. We got to know each other and the kids both came to meet him. And that was when I realized that things still could change. I could still move on without you, but you can still be in my heart. I’ll never forget you, Asher, and I’m not leaving you behind. I’m moving on and letting go to enjoy my life.

But when I look up at the stars, a smile crawls across my face, when I imagine you and me being back together someday.

March 04, 2021 19:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

C. M. Fergason
22:43 Mar 10, 2021

First of all, I love, love, LOVE stories written as letters. This is such a clever concept, though the pacing was a little too fast for my taste. Granted, with only 3000 words to work with, it can be difficult sometimes. I love the imagery of the islands and the clear sadness in most of the story, in spite of the fun activities. (I'm a sucker for melancholy, too.) Well done!

Reply

Kat Sencen
23:53 Apr 17, 2021

Aren't all stories written as letters? jk jk I know what you mean. Sorry I couldn't help it. Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
06:55 May 07, 2021

I'm so sorry I'm so late, I had a lot of classes and no time. Coming to your story, I thought it was beautiful. Her grief was easily discernible, and the letters were quite heartfelt. Maybe delve in more about her relationship with Asher, how everything she saw reminded her of him, maybe about some days where she was in a slump. Maybe a letter from one of the children a day when she was too depressed to write it. Just an opinion, otherwise, really loved the love that poured from each word. Great job!

Reply

Kat Sencen
19:12 May 07, 2021

Thank you for the feedback! Do you want me to read one of your stories?

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:33 May 08, 2021

Maybe 'Forget-Me-Not' if you haven't read it yet :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
20:37 Mar 21, 2021

You told me to copy and paste it on someones story who deserves it so here I am :) ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUT...

Reply

Kat Sencen
20:55 Mar 21, 2021

(: Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
18:47 Mar 05, 2021

Wow. This is amazing. Just amazing. I think it's probably your best story yet. It's very short and yet it's the perfect length. It's a bittersweet story and there's nothing better the reading a bittersweet story. It's a great gift to be able to tell a whole story within only a couple of pages and you did an amazing job with that. I have no critique at all. Just thought it was funny that we both chose the same prompt and we both based it in Hawaii. (Im assuming you're in Hawaii but i could be wrong) Amazing story!!

Reply

Kat Sencen
19:33 Mar 05, 2021

Thanks!!! I can't wait to read yours!!!

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
03:16 Mar 11, 2021

DUDE I LOVE KEEFE SO MUCH HES MY FAVE CHARACTER EVER AND I LOVE HOW ITS YOUR NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍 (also book 6 is my favourite too.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maraika!!! 😎
03:19 Mar 11, 2021

great story! I love how you where so creative with the prompt. It isn't the classic way you think it would go and it what so heart felt. I love it! It actully made me feel sad which is super impressive for a short story. you did a great job on making it so emotional, but with a up lifting ending. Keep up the good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

ACK I LOVE KEEFE AND KOTLC!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Heyaaa! If you have time, please upvote this writer. Her points got taken all away, and she was originally at 5,000, please help if you want to. (I understand if you don't wanna get involved into all the upvoting/downvoting.) Link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/writer-maniac/#

Reply

Kat Sencen
17:49 Mar 07, 2021

Of course!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.