An Affair To Remember

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of three different characters.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Happy Romance

Ronnie's tale

As a young Subaltern, I was posted to Bombay and was staying at the officer’s mess at Cotton Green. A barbwire fence separated the station from a small road leading to the BPT headquarters. Many a time, I would observe a beautiful girl walking on the other side of the barbwire.

She was extremely beautiful and always wore short skirts so I surmised that she had European blood in her. Most Indian girls wear a trouser or shalwar kameez.

I saw her many times and then I got hold of my best pal, Joginder. He was the engineering officer and asked him, “look pal, there’s a girl I see walking outside the fence towards the BPT office, could you find out who she is?”

Joginder promised and conveyed to me that she is from Goa and has Portuguese ancestry. He also disclosed her name as Rosie Ferrao and that she was working at the office. He further told me that she was attending evening classes in law at the KC College.

I immediately made a plan to join the KC College of Law as well.

I joined the college and on the very first day, I tried to locate where Rosie was sitting. I found her sitting in a corner. The first meeting went smoothly and I couldn’t help observing that she almost looked like Bridget Bardot. She is an actress from another era but I had seen her pictures that captivated me.

The class was over at 8 PM and while walking out I asked Rosie if she would mind that I drop her home.

“How will you drop me?” she asked.

“I have a Royal Enfield Bullet."

“OK,” she replied.

We walked to the motorbike and the bike sprung to life with one kick. I took her to Marine Drive and the Malabar hill and then continued down to the Bandra Bandstand.

There is a wonderful cafeteria overlooking the sea. We both sat there and talked and discussed endless things. She told everything about herself as well as her grandfather was Portuguese and as such, she had the right of entry to Portugal. This was disconcerting but I hoped she wouldn't go.

One day, I took her after classes up the Malabar Hill to the Parsi restaurant. We ordered seafood along with beer and then Rosie asked me,” hi Ronnie, can you take me to the oil rig? it’ll be a thrilling experience.”

I thought for a moment and replied, "I will try because only authorized people are supposed to travel to the rigs.”

“Surely you can manage it.”

After the dinner, she gave me a kiss and that sealed it. I immediately accosted Joginder and told him that I wanted to take Rosie to the oil rig.

“You can’t do it, man,’ he replied,” only an authorized person is supposed to travel and how are you going to authorize her travel.”

“You are the person to authorize,” I replied, tongue in cheek,” why don’t you make a flight plan. I will ask Rosie to get into a flying overall and then take her to the oil rig."

The next day I brought Rosie to Juhu airport and in the crew- room told her to change and get into the flying overall. She was a bit hesitant and sensing her reluctance, I said, "Don’t worry, I won’t look”

I turned away but was facing a large mirror and I could see Rosie in it. She stripped her clothes and got into the flying overall and it reinforced my opinion that she was not less than Bridget Bardot. She had the loveliest legs and absolutely flat midriff with clear white skin.

I remember we three got into the chopper and soon were airborne over the Arabian Sea. It was an exhilarating flight and after about 45 minutes of flying, I could observe the oil rig and slowly brought the chopper down. I brought the machine to a halt and we went over to the crew- room to have some snacks. As we were munching the ham sandwiches, one of the supervisors came and said,” I have secured the helicopter to the concrete moorings because I don’t think you’ll be able to fly back today.”

“Why, what is the matter?” I asked

“There is a storm brewing and the ocean will be rough and there will be rain and strong winds as well, and you won’t be able to go back so I’m going to unlock two rooms and I hope you three can manage.”

We came out of the crew room and outside we could see monsoon gathering momentum. I remember Rosy suggesting that I and Joginder could shack up and she could stay in the single room. Joginder however butted in and like a true friend said, “No, I am having a runny nose and some cough and like to be alone, so you both can use the bigger room”

We drank wine and had a wonderful dinner. When everything is free you have a tendency to overdo. We drank even after dinner and retired to the rooms. Rosie was looking at me awkwardly as she had only the flying overall on and so had I.

“Don’t worry,” I said,” nothing is going to happen.”

“Anyway,” she said, “you have already seen me.”

“How do you know?”

“You were looking into the mirror.”

As Rosie removed her overall, her incandescent beauty shone. So white and pure like snow white. She now stood nude in the lamplight except for her black embroidered cotton lingerie which was held up by an elastic band around the waist. Rosie was staring at me as the emotion had overpowered her. She held her arms across her breasts as I walked up to her. The wine and scotch we had consumed also added to the moment. I began to caress her and she was squirming and her flesh cringing with each application. She buried her face in the pillow. Gradually she relaxed and her flesh shook and quivered. The bedside lamp seemed to dim for a moment. At this moment an unearthly crash of thunder and a short gasp from Rosie followed. It was like a hedonistic clap and at the back of my mind, I hoped she would conceive. What a silly thing to think of at that moment!

We spent two days at the rig and after that, the storm vanished and we flew back. Things didn’t move smoothly, because the very next day, I remember being called to the Flight Commanders' office. He was in a surly mood. Joginder was also there. The flight commander looked angry and said, “ I’ve come to know what happened but I’m not going to make an issue of it because war clouds are gathering and you have to proceed to Kashmir; you leave immediately but before that, you will be spending 6 working days for your conversion back to the 29.”

I telephoned Rosie and told her I was leaving but would come back. I remember some weeks passed and in the din of operations my calls went astray. After it was all over I was wondering what had gone wrong. After about three months or maybe four, I decided to go to Goa and contact her. I reached the place but found it was locked. I was wondering what to do when an old man appeared. After a moment he said,” you the air force man? Well, she has left a letter.”

“Yes”

I took the letter and slit open the envelope. It was a short note, ‘thank you for a wonderful two days. They were like the island of Eden, what with the rain and storm and time on our hands with booze and food but I had to leave because you didn’t come for a long time and now I’m going away to Portugal, in case Jesus wills, you will come to Portugal. I shall wait.’

Joginder’s tale

Ronnie is my best friend; he is a pilot while I am the engineering officer and there’s nothing we don’t do together including flying. I remember Ronnie coming up to me and saying,” hey Jogi I want a favor.”

I remember answering, “What is it? but don’t ask me anything silly.”

“No” Ronnie replied, “ it’s not something silly. I’ve been seeing a girl crossing and I just want to know who she is.”

”Well,” I replied, “ you don’t want me to do such silly things.”.

But even when I said these words I knew I was going to help my friend and I went over to the BPT office and from the clerical staff, I came to know that her name was Rosie Ferrao and she worked as a lower division clerk. I also learned that she was attending evening classes at the KC College of Law. The next day, I told my friend this bit of wisdom. I was very glad that I was able to give him this information because the next thing I knew was that he had joined the law college. I didn’t mind, because I knew my pal would be having a good time with the girl. You might think I was a bit envious but one has to carry on in life and so I did because I got another friend and I would take her on my scooter for long drives.

Ronnie was pretty reticent about Rosie but once I asked him,” you seem to be very happy with her.”

“Yes I am,” he replied,” but I want you to do me a favor.”

 “What favor you want?” I asked. I remember he paused for a moment and then said something which took the shoes off my feet. He told me he wants to take Rosie in the helicopter to the oil rig. I was a bit nonplussed,” you can’t do it, man, she’s not an authorized person and I am not going to risk anything.”

I remember he looked at me clearly in the eye and said,” look Jogi you got to do it, I love her; I want to marry her and have children surely you going to help?"

That was it and I arranged the flight plan and we took off with the girl. I had my first introduction to her just before climbing into the helicopter and was struck by her demeanor and beauty. We landed in the oil rig but then strange things happen because that is the will of God. Heavy storms and rains struck and we were confined there for two days. We have been given two rooms but I made an excuse that I had a cold and occupied the single room, leaving the bigger room.

What happened there? I do not know but I could sense that Ronnie and the girl had become extremely close after that. Two days and it was over and it was face to face with the flight commander. My man, he was angry, but he told us since the war has been declared he was going to let this matter rest and both of us were to go to the front. Ronnie left and I told him,” look pal, and make it a point to talk to Rosie and tell her everything.”

That was it, the end. I went to an engineering squadron and Ronnie left for the fighter squadron. Time passed and I met Ronnie after a couple of months in the officer's mess. He looked a little distraught and I asked him,” where is Rosie?” He replied, “ she is not here, she has gone to Portugal”

Surprised, I asked him, “what happened man you never told me that she had to go to Portugal and now you come up with this weird news. well if it’s true then my friend you go to Portugal.”.

I remember looking at him straight in the eye and said,” I’m sorry pal but I think you better pull up your socks, the first thing you do is take the flight to Portugal.” 

Rosie’s tale

I first met Ronnie when I was attending my class at the KC College of Law. I remember a tall man walking up to me and introducing himself after the class was over. He told me he was also a student as well as a pilot with the Air Force. He took me for a ride on his motorbike and I remember we drove all over Bombay to Malabar Hill and Marine drive and ended up at the bandstand at Bandra. It was exhilarating all the way and as we munched hamburgers and coffee in the bandstand restaurant I felt a strange vibration with this man. We exchanged so many notes and I told him that my grandfather was Portuguese and as such my papers for migrating to Portugal were being processed

He asked me what would I do when I go to Portugal. Honestly, I never had an answer and I just kept quiet but secretly I hoped that I would not go to Portugal but would continue to be with this man. Once when I kissed him he asked me what I wanted. I didn’t know what I wanted but there was one thing in my mind and I just blurted it out,” Ronnie can you take me in the chopper to the oil rig?”.

He was a bit stunned and then said,” you know Rosie, it’s not authorized.”

“ Come on,” I said,” I just want to fly in the chopper and have a look at the oil rig and come back.”

“OK, OK,” he replied,” I’ll have to ask Joginder.”

“Who is Joginder?” I asked

“He is my pal my best friend and he’s the engineering officer. He’s the only one who can manage it.”

A call from Ronnie in the morning informed me that arrangements had been made. He also informed me that a flying overall had been arranged for me and Joginder had made a flight plan also. I was absolutely thrilled and I went with Ronnie into the crew room. I was hesitant to change into overalls before him but then he promised not to look, I changed, but I knew he was looking. Secretly I exulted that Ronnie could see my beauty because what is better for a beloved than to show her beautiful body to the man who loves her.

I had my first interaction with Joginder and we shook hands. The flight is something I’ll never forget as Ronnie brought the chopper low over the sea sometimes just 100 feet above the waves. The weather was wonderful and the sun shone in the sky. Very soon I could see the oil rig in the center of the ocean and Ronnie brought the machine down.

What happened next could only happen because Jesus had willed it. I am a Catholic but what happened was miraculous. The weather suddenly worsened as it does in the Arabian Sea and heavy rain and thunder started and we had to spend two days on the oil rig. That is the time Ronnie and I became extremely close. His friend was very sporting and took the smaller single room leaving me and Ronnie in the bigger room with a single bed and I have no hesitation in saying that I had decided that I will give myself to Ronnie. He would be my first and last lover.

I think he was an experienced lover and perhaps he had met a few girls earlier but I was not bothered. This was not something against him as I gave myself willingly. In between, I did hear a simple word ‘oh God! Rosie give me a boy.’

After the weather cleared we went back but then I didn’t hear from Ronnie and I only got a telephone call from him that he was going to the front. I was aghast; how could he go away without meeting me, without telling me anything. I went back to Goa and waited.I even sent a letter to the air headquarters but then nothing happened and then my father said,” Our seats are booked everything is clear and we must go to Portugal.” I didn’t want to go and I told my dad,” I don’t want to go.”

“ It’s OK,” he said,” if you want you can stay here but what are you going to do alone?”

He had a point and I decided to go. I was just wondering whether Ronnie would have the guts to come and take me from Portugal. Before leaving I gave a letter to the caretaker of the house and told him to give it to an Air Force officer if he comes. I anxiously await him but in my heart, I know he will come and he did.

August 03, 2021 14:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Amanda Fox
17:29 Aug 12, 2021

It was really cute to see this story from three different angles. I'm glad Joginder pushed Ronnie to go to Portugal in the end. Sounds like they will be very happy together!

Reply

MG SINGH
20:29 Aug 12, 2021

Thank you, Fawn, it was nice reading your comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.