77 comments

Sad

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This story is inspired by a song. Comment below if you know what song it is!!! (I included some of the lyrics in the story!)


Content Warning: Includes suicide


*****************************************************************************


She raced through the woods, her arms and legs pumping as fast as they could. Twigs and fallen logs tripped her, but she dare not stop, for if she did, she might not have the strength to get back up again.

Tree branches swiped at her, tearing into her flesh, but she only embraced the pain. It gave her something else to think about.

She figured that if she ran fast enough, then she could escape from the huge hole of problems that she was caged in.

 She didn’t want to think, all she wanted to do was run. To where, she did not know. All she knew was that if she let her mind clear, then her feet would slip, her problems once again pulling her under once more.

Now that she has experienced freedom, she couldn’t go back to how things used to be.

So she ran.

She ran until she could not run anymore, her legs giving out underneath her. She crumpled to the ground, but she was happy as she sank into unconsciousness, for at last she was at peace.


*****************************************************************************


A touch startled me awake. I gasped, sitting up, and immediately winced as pain shot through my skull.

“Careful.” A voice beside me cautioned, and I spun around to see a boy, about my age, with tousled brown hair and warm, brown eyes.

“Who are you?” I tried to say, but all that came out was a strangled whisper.

“Shh… don’t try to speak yet. You’re not ready for that.”

I knew I should have done something, tried to escape from this boy whose intentions were still unclear.

But I didn’t. I didn’t care about what would happen to me anymore. I just wanted to disappear from this world, to a better place. I thought I had accomplished that, running into the woods without any protection or supplies, but the cruel world had brought me back.

“Here, drink this,” the boy said, holding out a vial full of a clear substance.

I took it, and chugged it down, hoping it was some kind of poison.

It wasn’t.

I glanced at the boy, who shook his head, but I didn’t know why.

“You know you shouldn’t drink things from strangers.”

“Why would you care?” I glared at him.

He didn’t answer, only rummaged through a bag that was slung over his shoulder.

“How do you feel?”

“Uh… I feel fine?” I didn’t understand the question at first, but then it hit me. I shouldn’t feel as well as I did. 

I remember having scratches all over my arms and legs, but when I glanced down, my skin was smooth.

“H-how…?” I could barely form words.

“I don’t think you’re ready to hear that yet.” He looked over at me, with a sympathetic look in his brown eyes. I felt my blood boil.

I hated when people decided if I was “ready” or “old enough” yet. I could make my own decisions!

I glared at the boy, and he must have sensed my fury because he relented.

“All right, all right.” He took a deep breath.

“Well first of all, my name is Jack. You’re Anna, right?”

“How did you know?” I asked in shock.

He nodded, and continued on talking, not quite answering my question. “Well… to put it simply, I’m here to show you joy. I know you have had a very hard life, and I just want to brighten it up a little.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. Nobody would help someone without a valid reason.

“Why?”

“Isn’t it possible that I’m just a nice person?” Jack looked a little exasperated, but the look quickly passed.

I was still very skeptical. If I have learned anything, it's that nothing comes without a price.

“I know that you have always wanted to go to Wonderland. So I will grant you your wish.” Jack continued when I didn’t respond.

I barely held in a fit of hysterical laughter at those unexpected words.

“How did you… you know what, I’m not even going to ask anymore. But that’s not possible.”

“Well, it wouldn’t hurt to try, would it?” He had a point, and it’s not like I had anything else to do.

“Take my hand.” Hesitating, I placed my hand in his.

Wind started to swirl around us, forming a mini tornado. I gasped, and squeezed Jack’s hand even tighter.

“Hold on!” He yelled as the wind started to pick up speed, so fast that I couldn’t even see the world around us anymore.

And then it died down, and in its place, was the most magnificent sight I have ever laid my eyes upon.

Jack smiled. “Welcome to Wonderland.”

A beautiful landscape stretched out in front of me, the trees were curling and twisting into the most intricate designs I have ever seen, and then they would untwist themselves and make a new design.

There was a small stream that led to a giant waterfall, the water crashing powerfully onto the sand bank. Fish were rowing in boats, something that shouldn’t be possible, and some of them waved at us. There were toads, frogs, and fish that were swimming upstream, where there was a huge brown bear waiting with its mouth wide open.

The lush, green grass was dotted with flowers of every color imaginable, and some with colors that I have never seen before. Everything seemed to have a camera filter on it, making the world burst with color. The blue skies were even bluer, the clouds more white. It was a striking contrast against the world I was used to, that always seemed to be covered in a layer of grey. 

In the distance, there were a group of rabbits with white clocks, the Mad Hatter, and cards that could talk all having a tea party.

I felt my eyes tear up with nostalgia, except that nostalgia could now be satisfied. 

Ever since I was little, I had felt a strange connection with Wonderland, the fictional world of my dreams. It was a place that no one would ever judge me, or ever call me unusual or weird.

I would be able to be happy for once, and not worry about society’s critical eyes always studying my every move.

I surveyed my surroundings again, shocked by the surreal feel of it. It couldn’t be real!

And yet… it was.

I glanced at Jack, who was staring at me with a smile on his face. “Where would you like to go first?”

For some reason, I didn’t feel that shocked that I was here, at Wonderland. Everything felt… right.

“We can go exploring, or we can just go for a walk.”

I grinned at Jack. “Exploring!”

Jack shook his head playfully. “I should have known.” He squinted at the distance.

“Let’s make an appearance at that tea party down the road, maybe they’ll sing us a song!”

“Sure!”

Jack took my hand, and we ran down the yellow, winding road. I felt like a child again, blissfully unaware about the horrible events that would take place years later.

And for the first time in 12 years, I laughed.


*****************************************************************************


The sky was getting dark, the lovely shade melting into a deep, navy blue. It was dotted with stars, which my grandma had used to say were “windows to heaven.” At the time, I had believed her, but I no longer believe in a “heaven.” What is heaven if the world is so cruel?

I only had my thoughts proved when my beautiful, beloved grandma had passed away a year later. That was the start of my depression.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Jack glanced at me.

“I was just thinking of my grandma.” I smiled and tilted my head back to stare at the stars. “She used to say that the stars are windows to heaven.”

“She sounds like she was a wonderful person.”

“She was.”

We lay there in silence for a few minutes, staring up at the twinkling stars.

“Come on.” Jack got up, and held out his hand.

“What?”

“Take my hand.” I raised my eyebrow, but did what he said.

He pulled me up and spun me around. I let out a sound of surprise at the sudden gesture as he pulled me close.

“What are you doing?”

“It’s a beautiful night. Do you want to dance?” My heart started to beat faster, even though I wasn’t sure why. 

I nodded. 

Jack spun me around, pushing me away, and then pulling me back. I laughed, my voice twinkling, mixing with the beauty of the stars. 

We danced underneath the twilight sky, until our feet were sore. But it was the good kind of tiredness, the kind that you feel after accomplishing a goal.

We collapsed on the soft grass, laughing until morning came.

I was so happy, I finally had a friend, someone who actually cared about me, who cared about my opinions and emotions.

But most of all, I finally found a home.


*****************************************************************************


It’s been a year since I’ve first arrived in Wonderland. We went exploring in forests, dove into oceans, and attended multiple tea parties.

For some reason, I never got hurt. Not even a single scratch was on me, even though I was sure I must have hurt myself somewhere. But I didn’t pay too much attention to it. It was probably just part of Wonderland’s wonder.

And then something happened.

The whole world around me flickered, everything turning dark for a split second. And then Wonderland was back.

I widened my eyes at Jack, but he didn’t look surprised.

“What was that?!” My voice almost screeched.

“Anna… there’s something that I need to tell you.”

I felt my heart drop. “Wh-what is it?”

“You already know this very well, a little too well but… nothing good can last forever.” He hesitated, running his hand through his hair.

“Today is our last day here, and then we both will have to leave.”

I froze. No. This cannot be happening. I can’t leave this place!

“You’re joking!” I laughed, trying to search for something, anything that gave away that this whole thing was just a joke.

“You must be joking! … Right?” 

“I’m sorry.” He shook his head, and my whole world came crashing down. And then, as abruptly as it started, it stopped. It seemed like my life was rebuilding itself.

I don’t know if it was because I was happier than I was before, or if Wonderland had accomplished wonders and changed me, but I wasn’t that upset.

I was just glad. Glad that I had the chance to experience this wonderful place.

But I was still confused about one thing. “What do you mean we have to leave? Was this place… not real?”

“In a way, I guess it wasn’t. But some aspects of it definitely were. Here,” Jack held out his hand, and in it was a small, crystal orb.

“Whenever you are feeling down, just look into it.”

I tried it, putting my eye against the ball. It was like a telescope, except the things I saw were far better than any star.

I saw Wonderland, the beautiful forests, the sapphire sky, and the starry nights.

I felt my eyes tear up. “Thank you. For everything, for showing me this beautiful place and for being my friend.” I whispered to him.

I remember the first time I saw him, and how he saved me. I thought that it was just a cruel joke at the time, but now, looking back, I realized that it was more of a blessing.

“What about you? Will I see you again?”

Jack laughed. “Don’t worry. We will meet again someday. I’ll find you.”

I smiled at him, and we sat on the grass, holding hands under the sapphire sky for the last time.


*****************************************************************************


Beep… beep… beep.

I startled as I woke up in an unfamiliar room. There was white everywhere, and the smell… it was almost like…

A hospital.

I gasped, and quickly checked my pockets. The orb was gone.

I guess it wasn’t real, then. I felt hollow on the inside.

“She’s awake!” Doctors and nurses rushed into the room, asking me how I felt. I answered everything through a haze.

And then they left, and my parents ran in. “Oh, Anna! I am so, so sorry. Will you ever be able to forgive us? Oh God, look what I have done to my beautiful child!” My mom sobbed next to my bed, as my dad wiped his own tears.

I smiled at them. Even though they haven’t loved me, and had driven me to the point of committing suicide, I decided to forgive them. After all, they’re trying to make up for their past mistakes, and isn’t that what matters most?

“Of course, mom, dad. I love you!” They laughed and hugged me for a long time. A doctor came in a while later and ushered them out, saying she still needed to run a few tests, as I was in a coma for a long time.

As she was leaving, she tripped over something on the ground.

It was a clear, crystal orb.

“Is this yours?” The doctor held up the orb. I nodded, too in shock to say anything.

As soon as she left the room, I immediately put my eye to the ball, and Wonderland stared back at me. I felt sad, but when I glanced around me, at my parents who were waiting outside, the sadness dimmed. Just a little, but enough for me to know that I belonged in this world, cruelty, malice and all.


*****************************************************************************


3 years later:

Anna was now 18, and had her own house, which was still scattered with her boxes. It was an old house, with the paint chipping off the walls. But she figured that she could always renovate it. That was how she was, always looking for the positive in things.

Ding! The doorbell rang, the chimes echoing all around her small house, and she rushed to answer it.

Standing outside, was a mailman that held a letter in his hand, saying a man had left it for her.

She asked who, but the mailman didn’t know. The mailman said that it was from a boy with brown hair and brown eyes.  

Anna thanked the mailman, and took the letter inside. She carefully tore open the envelope, and began to read.

Dear Anna,

I’m not sure if you still remember me, but I will always remember you. I have been watching over you all this time, and I have decided to tell you the truth about myself.

I’m not alive. Not anymore, at least. I am a soul in charge of helping people like you, people who have tried to commit suicide. Every person, after they have died, are sorted into two piles, the Good and the Bad. Both groups of souls have jobs, just their jobs are different to fit their personality.

I was sorted into the Good pile, and my job was to help you regain your happiness and will to live. Now that I have accomplished that, I had to send you back to Earth, but in a way, I was glad.

Wonderland is basically the afterlife. Each person’s afterlife is different, and for you it took the form of Wonderland. Usually if a person stays at Wonderland for too long, then they will never be able to get back to Earth. You stayed for a year, and I was getting worried you were going to stay there forever. Of course, it was really hard sending you back, but as I promised you, we will see each other again. Once you pass over to the afterlife, I will be waiting there for you. I promise.

Please have a good life, I will be watching over you, and guiding you in everything you do. Until we meet again.

~Jack

Anna finished reading it, and looked up with tears in her eyes. She took out an orb, and stared into it. She loved Wonderland, but she knew that she wasn’t ready to go back yet. After all, she still had her whole life ahead of her.

She thought about Jack’s last words. Until we meet again.

She smiled and raised her eyes to the blue sky outside, one that no longer seemed like it was washed down with a bucket of water.

Until we meet again.


February 05, 2021 18:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

77 comments

Sunny 🌼
21:39 Feb 05, 2021

WELCOME TO WONDERLAND WE'VE GOT IT ALL! POTIONS AND PASTRIES THAT MAKE YOU GROW TALL- (Very nice story, by the way, your descriptions of wonderland were like candy for my eyes! Also, the ending was really freaking sweet-)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
22:22 Feb 05, 2021

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY A FELLOW HUMAN WHO KNOWS AND LOVES THAT SONGGGGGGGGGGGGG (Thank you!!! :D)

Reply

Sunny 🌼
23:09 Feb 05, 2021

YASSSSSS!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:18 Feb 05, 2021

YESSSSSSS Do you know the other songs by Anson Seabra, too??

Reply

Sunny 🌼
23:41 Feb 05, 2021

Um no. I got into Welcome to Wonderland pretty recently. You got any recommendations?

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:45 Feb 06, 2021

YES. I DO. Ok so: Robin Hood That's Us Walked Through Hell Broken And basically ALL of the songs by him

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anna May
00:43 Feb 17, 2021

Hello, Kate! Your dog is really cute! I loved the story, I was really great. Are you going to make a sequel? (You don’t have to, if you don’t want to. No pressure)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:49 Feb 17, 2021

Hi! Thank you!!! :) Aww thank you sooo much! I wasn't planning to, but do you think I should? No one has really said anything about wanting a sequel until now, so.. But I do have an idea if I am gonna make one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
00:49 Feb 17, 2021

Oh wait... OMGGGG ANN??????? LMAOOOOOO I DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS YOUUUUUU

Reply

Anna May
01:07 Feb 17, 2021

Yea! It’s meeeee

Reply

Anna May
15:21 Feb 17, 2021

You should definitely do a sequel!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:21 Feb 21, 2021

Oohhhh ok!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Jasey Lovegood
22:40 Feb 08, 2021

K but my heart- THIS STORY WAS SO GOOD KATEEEEE

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:05 Feb 09, 2021

AW THANK YOUUUUU!!!!!!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
19:40 Feb 09, 2021

NO PROBLEM IT WAS AMAZING

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:15 Feb 09, 2021

THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHH

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
05:45 Feb 10, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
11:10 Feb 07, 2021

A new story is out would love your feedback.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:13 Feb 07, 2021

Sure I'll read it! Could you also give me some feedback on my story?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Oh my! This is such a long and amazing story Kate! :)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:17 Feb 07, 2021

Thank you!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I have no words to describe how beautiful this story is Kate!!! I'm speechless, this was my favorite story yet:) Great work, can't believe how you got this whole idea from a song(Welcome to wonderland) Loved all the details, how everything unfolded in the end!!! AMAZING!!! (I'm not surprised):DD

Reply

Kate Reynolds
03:04 Feb 06, 2021

:DDDD THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, mine too! (Which is really weird bc when I woke up this morning I had wanted to delete it. Thankfully I didn't though!) Oohhh have you listened to it before??? (If you haven't ITS REALLY GOOD) Awww thanks!!!!! :DDD

Reply

NPPPPP!!!!! It's my honor!!!:D Thank God u didn't, i would be so mad at u if u did. lol No but I willl!!! NP!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
03:06 Feb 06, 2021

:))))) XDDD YES PLEASE DOOOO

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:42 Feb 06, 2021

:))

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
20:15 Feb 05, 2021

THE SONG IS WELCOME TO WONDERLAND

Reply

Kate Reynolds
20:16 Feb 05, 2021

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Now go listen to ittttttttt (it's REALLY good) Welp I didn't put this in my story BUT I'm giving a shoutout to the first person who guesses itttttt :DDDDD

Reply

. .
20:16 Feb 05, 2021

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

Kate Reynolds
20:20 Feb 05, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
19:42 Feb 05, 2021

Hellooooo Ok so it doesn't fit the prompt perfectly, but I tried to make it fit as much as possible lmao Few things: 1. How is the title? 2. Does it make sense? 3. Please tell me if you have any critiques! Thank youuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
19:37 Feb 05, 2021

I... HOW ARE YOU SUCH A GOOD WRITER???? IT'S...UNBELIEVIBLE. THIS WAS SO GOOD. I..............I can't process how great this was.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:39 Feb 05, 2021

XDDD AWWWW THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Any guesses on the song..? :D

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:40 Feb 05, 2021

nope... BUT THIS WAS AMAZING Waaaait. Hold On by Extreme Music? THE THERAYA THEME SONG???

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:40 Feb 05, 2021

THANKSSS!!!!!! Nope! Want a hint?

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:42 Feb 05, 2021

sure!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:52 Feb 05, 2021

Ok! Its a song in my bio!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
19:42 Feb 05, 2021

sure!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
19:40 Feb 05, 2021

nope... BUT THIS WAS AMAZING Waaaait. Hold On by Extreme Music? THE THERAYA THEME SONG???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
19:12 Feb 05, 2021

THIS WAS SO GOOD!!!! I would recommend you keep the narrative style consistent: if its flowy in the beginning, keep it flowy. I COULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHICH SONGGGGGGGGGG...

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:33 Feb 05, 2021

THANKSSSSS!!!!!! Yeah, I was rushing near the end lol I'LL GIVE YOU A HINTTTT: The song is in my bio

Reply

. .
19:37 Feb 05, 2021

IS IT AN AVA MAX SONG????

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:38 Feb 05, 2021

Nope! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
20:12 Feb 05, 2021

Lukeeee helpppp Where (and how) exactly could I make it flow better?? I can't think of anything lol

Reply

. .
20:14 Feb 05, 2021

You just need to make sure that if your voice is formal and you want to keep it that way that there aren't any informalities!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
20:15 Feb 05, 2021

Ohhhhhh ok thanks!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
15:51 Jul 25, 2021

wElcOme tO woNdeRLamd we'vE gOt iT aLl, potions anD thAt MakE yOu gRoW taLl I love this song- Ending was super sweet, it was a lil long for me, and maybe more dialogues were needed, but maybe that just me. Awesome!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
02:00 Jul 29, 2021

LMAO So do I- Hmm, yeah, I’ll keep that in mind! Thanks!!! :)))

Reply

Sia S
07:00 Jul 29, 2021

XD everyone does- (they better lol) sure, :D

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:57 Jul 29, 2021

Have you listened to Robin Hood? It's also a song by Anson Seabra.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Me: SoBs So HaRd AfTeR ReAdInG ThIs

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:25 Feb 19, 2021

XDDDD That's good to hear!!! (Not your sobbing, but the fact my story made you sob)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Haylee Lundstrom
17:35 Feb 09, 2021

how do you write a story

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:17 Feb 09, 2021

Do you mean like how do you write, or like how to post a story on Reedsy?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Erza Scarlet
19:10 Feb 06, 2021

Welcome to wonderland- Good job?

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:12 Feb 06, 2021

;-; Thanks?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danny -
23:43 Feb 05, 2021

Wow, after reading the comments, am I the only one who doesn't know what song this is? Anywaysssss... OHMIGOSJ KATEEEE, GREAT STORY! I love the concept of the story and the song inspiration? It's veryyyy creative! (I would be lying if I said the letter didn't make me tear up) AHHHHHHHH, IT'S AMAZINGGGGG... GREAT JOB! I LOVE IT :DDD the title also fit the story so well... This might be one of my favorite stories from you :))

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:46 Feb 06, 2021

XDD it's not a very popular song but it's a good one!!! AW THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! :DD That's what I was going for!!! Yeah I think this might be one of my fav too!!! (Which is kinda surprising bc honestly I didn't even think I'd finish it!)

Reply

Danny -
00:50 Feb 06, 2021

Ohhh, I think my sister listens to it, but I'm not sure :b It was great! I had to skim through the letter and reread it again so that I wouldn't bawl my eyes out :p Well, it turned out great and I'm glad you finished it!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
01:13 Feb 06, 2021

Oohhh it's gooddddd (you should listen to it!!!) Thank you! XD :DDDD

Reply

Danny -
01:29 Feb 06, 2021

I will :))))))) Of courseeee, no problem :DDDD

Reply

Kate Reynolds
01:30 Feb 06, 2021

Yay!!! :DDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.