0 comments

Romance Sad Drama

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives. Today should have been filled with happiness and laughter, promises and vows, nervous excitement and joyful anticipation. But now, instead of a wedding taking place, it would be a funeral. One that should never be happening in the first place.

As Alexander Johnson, a twenty year old man with brown hair and hazel eyes, stared out across the mountain-side lake, he sighed heavily. The sun was setting, appearing to dip into the water slowly, creating a peaceful environment. Various shades of red, orange and pink tainted the gradually darkening sky, streaking the faint wisps of clouds hovering in the atmosphere with radiant light. Pine trees dotted the landscape, giving off a strong, fresh aroma that filled his lungs as he breathed deeply. This had been her favorite place to come. She had loved it here; it was quiet and serene. This was where she would be buried today, right next to the lake.

Alexander thought back on the events that had led him to where he was now. She had been beautiful. With the sun's early morning rays caressing her tan skin, and auburn curls flowing delicately down her back, Clarisse Evans had quickly caught Alexander's attention. A white lace dress swirled around her knees as she strolled slowly through the cherry blossom fields of Georgia.

In her hands lay a single blossom, its petals pale pink and fully bloomed. Alexander had watched Clarisse, hidden behind a tree, taking care not to make any noise. He didn't want to startle her, only to be scolded for spying. Her steps were light and graceful as she smiled faintly at the sights around her. Every so often, Clarisse would stoop low to inhale the sweet scent of the colorful blossoms before quickly moving on.

It had been weeks before Alexander had mustered up enough courage to introduce himself to her. She had laughed softly at the way he stumbled over his words, watching in amusement as he blushed deeply and bowed his head.

"You appear nervous." Clarisse's voice was soft, her emerald eyes glittering brightly in the sunlight.

"I apologize," Alexander had responded. "It's not often I have the courage to speak to someone as beautiful as you." His lips had curled up into a smile at seeing a dash of redness touch her cheeks as she ducked her head, smiling faintly.

"You're quite the charmer, Mr. Johnson."

"You know my name?" Alexander questioned.

Clarisse gave him a wide smile. "Yes. I've noticed you watching me for quite some time now." Her eyes flickered with unabashed glee at seeing his nervous expression. "Though I must admit..." Clarisse turned away, looking over her shoulder to see if Alexander was still gazing at her. "I began to wonder if you would ever speak to me."

From that moment on, the two had been inseparable. Alexander was drawn to Clarisse's youthful innocence, as well as her childlike desire to experience the goodness and beauty of the world around her. Clarisse's parents had been wary of Alexander from day one. She was the only girl in a family of six boys, not to mention the youngest. Clarisse had just celebrated her eighteenth birthday, and Alexander himself was no older than twenty.

And despite knowing Clarisse for only a short time, Alexander fell hard and fast for her. Alexander courted Clarisse, and after four months, he knew there was no one else he wanted to be with but her. The discussion that took place between Alexander and her parents was the most terrifying that had happened thus far in his life.

When Alexander finally proposed to Clarisse, her only answer was "What took you so long?" The next six months blurred together as the wedding preparations were made. Clarisse had wanted Alexander's opinion on what kind of flowers to have delivered, where should the wedding take place, even what flavor of cake he wanted. Alexander had only grinned each time, assuring Clarisse that it didn't matter to him what she chose; he would be satisfied with any choice she made.

Finally, the week of the wedding arrived. Alexander went to the chapel, wanting to ensure that everything was in its place. The pews were decorated with ivory bows at each end, white ribbons hung above every doorway and window. A bouquet of white and red roses stood by the chapel door, waiting for the day when Clarisse would take them into her hands as she walked down the aisle with her father.

Alexander felt a smile cross his face, knowing that tomorrow would start the next chapter of his life. It was then he got the call. As he listened to the voice on the other end of the phone, his heart began to pound swiftly, his mind spinning frantically. The cellphone slipped from his fingers as he dashed from the church. Everything around him appeared to be moving in slow-motion, and he felt as though he would never make it in time.

The doctors are doing everything they can, Clarisse's mother had said. But they're saying to be prepared for the worst.

Seeing Clarisse lie there, unconscious in a hospital bed, her skin deathly pale and cold... Alexander had been nearly inconsolable. The machine keeping track of her pulse was his only comfort as he stayed by her side for hours. The days mixed together, each hour feeling longer than the last.

The test results came back positive. It's stage four cancer, and there's nothing we can do now except wait for God to bring her home. Clarisse's father had looked broken as he explained to Alexander what the doctors had said.

Why didn't she tell me she was sick? Alexander's heart shattered as he turned his gaze to the bed she lay on.

We didn't know, was the response. Clarisse had gone in for an annual visit... and when she came back, she gave us the news.

How long ago? Alexander had asked. How long ago? His tone was more demanding when her father didn't respond right away.

A week.

The next day, Clarisse was gone. Alexander had come to visit her, but her parents were outside the door with a doctor before he could enter the room. They had been waiting for him. He had fallen to his knees, overcome with grief at the words.

I never told her. Alexander had managed to say through his tears. He had come to tell her he loved her. Alexander wanted to wait until their wedding day to say it for the first time, but he understood how little time she had. He had arrived at the hospital, ready to tell Clarisse the words she had been waiting to hear. But by then it was too late.

November 20, 2020 04:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.