Wishes Do Come True

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story around the theme: Be careful what you wish for.... view prompt

2 comments

General

The clock struck midnight as Carrie closed her eyes. As she drifted off to dreamland, she thought, I wish that Erica and Mike would break up before this weekend so I don’t have to go to their stupid wedding. 

Mike was Carrie’s first serious boyfriend. She lost her virginity to him, and thought they would be together forever. On her 25th birthday, two major things happened. Her best friend Erica threw her a surprise party and Mike broke up with her. Two months later she found out Mike and Erica were a couple, and two years later they announced their engagement. 

Both of them begged her for forgiveness, and eventually she forgave them. When she got the invite to their wedding, her first thought was: no way in hell I am going!

But everyone under the sun convinced her she should be the bigger person and just go. So she sent the invite back that she was going by herself, no plus one in her life.

Now that the wedding was approaching, she realized she was dreading this. She had gotten over Mike, and dated other people, but some old feelings were popping up.

She never completely recovered from Erica’s betrayal, but she did grant Erica forgiveness.

Every once in a while, she would wish explosive diarrhea on both of them as they were announcing their wedding vows. Ha, that would be hilarious. 

But for the most part, Carrie wished them well, Except for tonight. She was dreading going to this wedding. 

As she fell asleep, she dreamt of Erica being abducted by aliens and Mike begging for her to come back to him. She woke up with a big grin across her face and  decided that she would be positive and enjoy the wedding.

Until she saw the text. The text from her friend Lisa who wrote, Call me, urgent!

Wow, the text was sent at 6AM. It must be urgent.  It was 9AM. She was about to call her when she heard loud knocking at the door.

She threw on a robe and slippers, opened the door to her apartment, as Lisa pushed her way in. “ Did you get my text?”

“Yes, I just woke up, what’s going on?”

Lisa grabbed Carrie by the shoulders and screamed, “ Mike broke up with Erica!  And the wedding is in four days, or would have been in four days, oh my God. this is big!”

“ What?!  That is insane, what the--”

Lisa interrupted her. “I heard that Mike is still in love with you and---”

“No way!!  He broke up with me, he loves Erica!”

The familiar ping of a text interrupted their conversation. Carrie looked down. It was from Mike. We have to talk. I made the biggest mistake leaving you.

Carrie looked at Lisa and showed her the text. 

“Oh jeez, what are you going to do? This is crazy,” exclaimed Lisa.

“ I need time to process this. I’m a wreck,” said Carrie. “I’ll call you later.” 

After Lisa left, Carrie sat on the couch and thought of the wish she had as she was falling asleep. This is my fault. I wished this to happen. My thoughts ruined their lives.

A knock on the door again. Carrie opened it and there was Mike. He walked in like he owned the place and said,” I am so sorry babe. I never should have left you.”

Carrie said, “ What happened? I’m so confused.”

Mike’s face contorted as he  answered. “ I don’t know honestly. It was like a thought popped into my head telling me to call off the wedding.”

Carrie felt like she was going to throw up. “ A thought?  Um… like what time did you have this thought?”

“The clock struck midnight and it was really weird.  It just popped into my head. I mean, I was having doubts, but at midnight I knew. “

Carrie stared into space.  I wished for this to happen. At midnight. Oh my God, I caused this. My mother used to always say be careful what you wish for.  What am I going to do?

Mike was still talking. “ I drove to Erica’s place, woke her up and told her. It was so difficult. Almost as difficult as when I broke up with you.” 

“But, a few days before the wedding? Erica must be heartbroken,” stammered Carrie.

Mike looked guilty. “ She sort of blames you and---”

“You threw me under the bus!  This is why I’m happy we broke up. You’re a creep!” screamed Carrie.

“But I thought we could be together,” said Mike as he tried to hug her but Carrie pushed him away. 

“Out of my house. Now!”

“I love you Carrie, I--”

“Out!”

MIke looked down as he shuffled out the door.

After Mike left, Carrie broke down in tears. This is my fault. Please, whoever is responsible up above, please ignore my wish. Make sure they get married, and I will go to the stupid wedding.

Carrie spent the rest of the day puttering around the house, cleaning, doing laundry, and other tasks to keep her mind off of this horrible situation.  She went out for a run, and then ordered take-out pizza and 2 glasses of wine as she binge watched “The Good Place’’, wondering how she became such a bad person to wish bad things on her friends.

By the time she was ready for bed, she closed her eyes, and wished,  I just want Mike and Erica to be happy. Whatever it takes. Please. They are right for each other, they are both selfish and...no, I need to be positive. They are both nice people deep inside who are really very good for each other.

When she opened her eyes the next morning, she grabbed her phone and looked at the screen. It was 8AM. No text, no call. She jumped into the shower, and hoped the hot water would wash away her problems, as she enjoyed the scent of her lavender body wash.  Her nerves were on edge. She towel dried herself and rubbed honey mango body lotion all over. The smell relaxed her. She glanced at her phone and there were 2 texts. One from Lisa and one from Mike. Her hands were clammy as she checked Lisa’s first.  Guess what?  The wedding is back on. Call me.  

She then checked Mikes. This was longer. So sorry about yesterday. I am an idiot. I got cold feet and thought we could rekindle. I ended up spending the rest of the day with Erica and we made up.  She still loves you, as do I. As a friend. Thank you and see you at the wedding.

Carrie breathed a sigh of relief. Whew.  Wishes really do come true. 



November 21, 2019 01:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jay Graywall
22:30 Nov 27, 2019

Very clever way to use the prompt. I think perhaps varying the sentence openers may help break it up a bit and keep it from getting dry for the reader. For instance, in the second to last paragraph, almost everything starts with either she, her, or the, and the statements could be a little monotonous. However, I really like the idea and the horror Carrie feels when her wish comes true. :)

Reply

Shelley Lerea
01:28 Nov 29, 2019

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.