0 comments

Kids

Molly rang the door bell.She pressed the door bell at least five times in a row until her sister Annie told her to stop. Annie told Molly it was rude to ring someone’s door bell more than once. 


 An elderly woman soon answered the door. She wore a witch's hat and green face paint. 


“ Trick or treat,” Molly shouted, holding her jack o lantern up in the air.


“ Aw, you’re so cute,” the woman told Molly. 


“ I’m sorry my adorably annoying sister rang your doorbell so many times,” Annie said, rolling her eyes” Molly just loves trick or treating,” 


The woman shook her head” No problem, dear” she pulled candy from her jar and dropped the candy within Molly’s jack o lantern” Enjoy and happy halloween girls.”


The sisters said good bye, happy halloween, and left. Molly reached her hand into her jack o lantern” Oh wow! Two Hershey’s chocolate bars. Can I ring her door bell again and ask if she could give me one more?” 


Annie shook her head, laughing” No way, Molly. It’s getting super late. I think it’s time we go home. You already have so much candy,”


“ No,” Molly groaned” we can’t go home now. Let’s go to a few more houses. Please Annie?” Molly asked, smiling her adorable smile.


“ Fine,” Annie sighed annoyed by her sister’s charm” We will go to a few more houses and then we’re going home.”


Annie sat on the side walk as Molly purged more homes within their neighborhood. She scrolled through her cell phone, staring at photos of her friends at a local party. Annie wished she were at the party instead of babysitting Molly trick or treating. She always took her sister out on Halloween. Annie didn’t understand why her parents wouldn’t allow her to go to the party where her friends would be, having a blast. Molly was different from other children. She could handle herself.


“ Annie, look what I got,” Molly said, running toward her.


“ I don’t care,” Annie spat” it’s time we go home,”


“ But why?” Molly asked, frowning.


“ Because I said so,” Annie grabbed Molly’s hand and started pulling her down the sidewalk. 


“ Ouch. You’re hurting me,” Molly said.


Annie let Molly’s hand go as she noticed tears forming around her sisters green eyes” I’m sorry, Molly. I shouldn’t of done that,”


Molly crossed her arms,“ Why are you so upset?I thought you liked taking me trick or treating?”


“ I do, but there is this huge party going on that all of my friends are at. I told mom and dad I wanted to go to this party, but they told me I had to take you trick or treating. I want to go to this party so bad. I’m sorry I hurt you,” Annie kissed Molly’s sore hand.


Molly embraced Annie in a warm hug” That’s ok, Annie. You can go to the party, if you want,”


“ Really? But don’t you want to keep trick or treating?”


Molly held up her jack o lantern and giggled,” I have plenty of candy.”


Annie hugged her sister back” you’re like the best little sister ever,”


“ Obviously,” Molly grinned.


As Annie and Molly started walking home, a monster stood in the distance. The monster hide within bushes, listening to their conversation. The monster loved halloween. On halloween he’d kidnap children and eat them. He thought Molly and Annie looked very appetizing.


 The girls continued walking toward their house. No one else was around or so they thought.


“ What was that noise?” Molly asked” it sounded like someone is following us?”


Annie turned and glanced around,” it was probably just a squirrel.”


“ I don’t think so,” 


“ Molly, relax,” said Annie” I’ll protect you.”


Annie finally brought Molly home. Molly told her parents it was ok for Annie to go to her party, so Annie said good bye and made her way to the party. The party was only a few blocks away. Annie would be there in no time. She couldn’t wait to see her friends and have the night of her life.


But the closer Annie got, she to heard the strange noises, following her. She paused and reached into her pocket,” is someone following me? If so, show yourself. Stop hiding.”


Then the monster revealed itself. It sprang from the bushes, grabbing Annie from behind. It pulled her away from the sidewalk into the woods. The monster opened its wide mouth, laughing, ready to devour Annie. But the monster started to scream. The monster shoved Annie away and started begging for its life. 


Annie smirked at the monster, holding her wand” Silly monster. Didn’t anyone ever tell you to not mess with a witch? Happy Halloween, monster.”


Annie muttered a spell, transforming the monster into a mouse. She placed the mouse inside her pocket. She couldn’t wait to show Molly her new pet.


October 27, 2019 21:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.