21 comments

Fantasy Funny Contemporary

My name is Doctor Edgar B. Shallows, Jr. and I work in the ER at Cornwall Medical Center. We're down in what's called the Combat Zone, where hookers and drug dealers prowl the streets, suburban guys sneak into the peep shows and sex shops, and guns are as plentiful as cotton candy. You can practically set your watch by the police sirens.

Our hospital specializes in major trauma cases. We're trained to spring into action with our lifesaving drugs, clamps and defibrillators, yards and yards of thread and bandages, and IV lines that can barrel in the big-gun meds to jumpstart hearts or knock out the patients with gruesome injuries so as to quick repairs before sending them up to the operating rooms.

Most of the time though we get sprained ankles and upset tummies, maybe a broken arm. Definitely painful for the patients but not hard to treat. Often the hours stretch on like a barren desert, so we sit under bright flickering fluorescent lights, drinking cold coffee that tastes like formaldehyde, eating stale donuts, and shooting the breeze with the cops and paramedics.

Then there are the crazies who come in screeching about spiders in their sheets or thinking they're Jesus Christ or Napoleon. Mostly they want a listening ear and a nice warm bed on the taxpayers’ dime.

One night I pulled the lucky card. An ambulance brought in a guy with tangled gray hair, dressed in a plastic suit of armor. In one gnarled fist he clutched a plastic sword that he kept waving around.

When I approached, he brandished the weapon in my face, shouting, "Yield! Yield, foul knave or I shall slay thee!" I managed to duck and escape an untimely death.

As I leaned over and tried to put my stethoscope on his chest, his sword successfully connected with my head. "Unhand me, foul knave, or my trusty Excalibur shall stint not till it pierce thy brainpan."

Well, my brainpan felt plenty pierced, thank you very much. Matilda Eckers, MD, the chief resident, glanced up from her charting and remarked cheerfully, “Looks like you’ve hit the jackpot tonight, Dr. Shallows.”

I turned to young Ned Potts, our third-year student, who moved and acted like a perpetual sleepwalker. "Hold the gentleman down so I can take his vitals."

The patient had a fever so high it nearly broke the thermometer, and a runaway heart rate of 160. FUO -fever of unknown origin. I had to get fluids and antibiotics into him fast.

Jane Myers, the ER nurse, already had a bag of normal saline ready to go. We piggybacked a bag of ampicillin for the infection with the saline and hung them on the IV pole.

 "Thanks, Nurse," I said. She smiled. We worked together like a fine-tuned machine.

I turned to Ned, "Keep holding him down, Dr. Potts. We need to start this line STAT."

Ned mumbled, "Okay, Dr. Shallows."

Jane leaned over our patient and said gently, "Sir, you'll feel a pinch when the needle goes in."

The man fumed, "Ye shall not vanquish me with but a pinprick, dastardly wench."

"Ah, but we shall, sir," I said, getting into the spirit of things. The nurse inserted the needle into his arm and taped it in place.

As Jane primed the IV pump to get it going. I asked our patient. "What is your name, sir?"

He frowned. "Dost not recognize me?"

"Er, no, I dost not."

"I am Arthur Pendragon, King of Britain, Sovereign of the Roundtable and all of Camelot!"

I whistled. Matilda smiled sympathetically. I cleared my throat. "So, sire, can you tell me when you first felt ill?"

"All my life, knave. The burden of kingship hath cost my very heart's blood." He shifted restlessly. “Since the day I drew my mighty sword Excalibur from the stone of my father, I have toiled tirelessly for my kingdom.”

"May I see your weapon, sire?"

He proudly held it out for me to view. I read the words, “Camelot Dreams Limited” stamped on the handle. I whistled. This sword had mighty powers indeed.

I had never been a huge fan of the classic King Arthur stories but I knew my Monty Python. "Are you - I mean, Art thou seeking the Holy Grail?"

His watery eyes went wide with wonder. "Why yes, knave. Hast beheld such a wonder with thine own eyes?"

I thought I was being funny when I replied, "Why yes, I have. I believe it has been found at this very font of medicinal healing."

Big mistake. “King Arthur” tried to sit up, wild-eyed and shouting, "Then keep me not from my quest. Unhand me at once!"

"Whoa, whoa, hold thy horses!" I eased him back down. "All shall be revealed in good time. Thy comfort is our first concern."

Ned Potts woke up enough to say, "You're picking up the lingo pretty good, Dr. Shallows."

"Why thank you. I mean, I thank thee. Stay by this good sir's side whilst I fetch said Grail."

I hurried to the drug closet and dug among the boxes of lidocaine and controlled substances. Haldol should do the trick. A handy antipsychotic for all occasions. In the linen closet I found a metal bowl and filled it with cold water.

Bearing my prizes, I returned to our patient. Arthur Pendragon gasped when I presented the holy vessel to him on bended knee.

"The Grail," he breathed. "Ah, my heart's desire. I can tell foul Sir Lancelot to go chase his tail. I, Arthur, have found the Grail."

He drank of the water reverently and smiled for the first. He seemed calm, but I wasn't taking any chances.

I turned to Ned Pott. "Page, bring me the instrument of injection."

"Huh?"

"The syringe," I hissed. "Hurry!" He brought me the loaded syringe. I respectfully lowered the sovereign's trousers just enough to scrub a needle site and injected the medication steadily into his left buttock.

To my surprise, he barely moved, muttering, "Courage, man, ye have suffered far worse at the hands of the Black Knight."

“Then I honor thy courage,” I said, buttoning him back up again.

"Wow, you're good, Edgar," said Ned, looking wide awake. I inclined my head modestly, and helped the weary king get settled comfortably beneath a blanket.

“Well hast thou served me, knave.” He raised his plastic sword and tapped my shoulder. “For thy wondrous service, I dub thee Sir -" he paused and peered at my hospital badge.

"Edgar," I supplied helpfully. "Edgar Shallows."

"Sir Edgar of Shallows. Arise and take thy place at my Round Table."

He soon fell asleep and everyone ribbed me for the rest of the night. "Yes, Sir Edgar, I shall fetch the clamps at once." "Wouldst Sir Edgar care for a donut?"

I merely chuckled and shrugged. "Worst case of Arthur-itis I've ever seen."

December 10, 2021 17:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Swan Anderson
02:57 Dec 24, 2021

I thank thee for reading this story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Matt Ward
16:03 Dec 23, 2021

Very clever. Written by someone who really knows medicine as well as humor.

Reply

Swan Anderson
17:07 Dec 23, 2021

I thank thee for thy kind remarks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
04:34 Dec 21, 2021

This is great! I loved the humor. Very creative story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bruce Friedman
21:42 Dec 20, 2021

Very clever blending of accurate medical patter and Arthurian themes, Swan. Well done.

Reply

Swan Anderson
14:00 Dec 21, 2021

Thanks, Bruce! Nice to know I've got both right. Glad you enjoyed the story. I look forward to reading yours!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:11 Dec 20, 2021

Gosh, this is just brilliant and so funny. I have to ask, do you have a medical background of some description? The chaos of the ER is so beautifully captured here, right down to the downtrodden medical student and the description of the drug closet. Not sure about some of the medication choices though! Hahahah. Also, "hold thy horses" had me chuckling out loud. Love your work. :)

Reply

Swan Anderson
14:50 Dec 20, 2021

Hi Shuvayon, I thank thee for thy thoughtful comments! Coming from a physician, I'm honored. I guess you caught me out at ampicillin., or is lidocaine indicated in this patient's condition? I confess to being an avid reader of medical memoirs like "The Making of a Woman Surgeon" by Elizabeth Morgan. I did go to nursing school briefly back in the 80s, and loved working with the patients but had lousy clinical skills. I did cardiology transcription for five years and found it fascinating. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this, and look forward ...

Reply

06:55 Dec 21, 2021

That's such an interesting background. In particular transcription is fascinating to me because there are no dedicated transcriptionists here (assuming we're talking about the same thing). To be honest we probably have a similar amount of medical 'floortime' because I'm very junior! Hahah it was honestly more of a tongue-in-cheek comment than anything else, but I suppose if we were to quibble then perhaps ampicillin is not quite broad-spectrum enough for a fever of unknown origin... but I suppose these differences can often be explained by ...

Reply

Swan Anderson
14:19 Dec 21, 2021

You're right, on further reading amoxicillin would be better. I love reading medical stories and used to be a doctor-wannabe. The lidocaine just happened to be there in the closet. Funny that there are almost no transcriptionists left. The doctors just have to dictate into an iPhone (or something like that) so there are almost no more humans typing madly to try to understand what they just said, haha! I remember struggling to get those meds right! I think we'll enjoy swapping medical yarns!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ruth Porritt
07:16 Dec 29, 2021

Hello Swan, I would never have thought of writing a story about a man (coming into the E.R.) who thinks he is King Arthur. Reading this story was a breath of fresh air for me. Can't wait to read the rest of you work, and have a great Wednesday, Ruth

Reply

Ruth Porritt
07:17 Dec 29, 2021

Correction: "was like a breath of fresh air for me." :)

Reply

Swan Anderson
23:29 Dec 29, 2021

Thanks, Ruth! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I can't totally claim credit for the title. When my mother saw me reading so many King Arthur tales, she told me I had "Arthur-itis." I agree!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
HUM .
00:49 Dec 19, 2021

This was such a fun story to read! I hope thine story of short willst attain the greatest triumph ^-^

Reply

Swan Anderson
03:45 Dec 19, 2021

Thou art equally fluent in said speech. I thank thee for thine good wishes!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jon Casper
18:28 Dec 18, 2021

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government." Thoroughly enjoyed this!

Reply

Swan Anderson
19:27 Dec 18, 2021

I thank thee, good sir! It was fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E Chin
14:36 Dec 18, 2021

This was cute!

Reply

Swan Anderson
19:28 Dec 18, 2021

I thank thee for partaking of my merriment! Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Boutat Driss
07:34 Dec 11, 2021

well done! I like it.

Reply

Swan Anderson
15:28 Dec 11, 2021

Thanks for reading it. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.