2 comments

Adventure Kids Mystery

Tonight was going to be a long night for the family and they didn’t even know what was in store for them. Their family consisted of the parents which were Thomas and Paula Nelson which had been married for ten happy years. They were the type of parents that tried to give their two children, Pat and Ted, a fun time while having family night. Family night was on Saturday and today was the first time that the parents couldn’t think of any way to enjoy the night with two strong teenage boys that would rather be with their girlfriend snuggling the night away. 

Paula had suggested to get some microwave popcorn and a couple of movies to watch. Thomas hadn’t liked the idea because to get two teenage boys to sit down to watch two movies with their old foggy parents was something that would be novel if not interesting. Both parents knew they had to come up with something that would interest their boys, but what they weren’t too sure of what idea would come to them. They sat there for hours listening to the news about roll out that were making customers mad because they would be watching television one moment when all of sudden their lights would go out. Roll out the good times the next time the lights would go off because they were actually coming with an idea that their boys could invite their girlfriends to play along.

As soon as they figured out what to do with the boys, the idea how to make the night a special one just seem to roll in and they wondered if this night would be a family night plus friends or what they would call this night was beyond them. They wanted to get video plus picture of the night enfolding and they hoped they would surprise their boys beyond words. This would surprise their boys with their girlfriend and maybe they could even go as far as inviting their parents to make this little gamble a surprise for all. How far should they go with inviting people to their family surprise night and how many people should they invite to surprise their boys?

“Mom! Dad! Not tonight for family night! Our friends were going out to a game and then go to get something to eat. Come on, can we do it another night? Pleeeaaassseee?” Thomas and Paula stood there listening to their teenage children whiney like a pair of two years old that wasn’t getting their way. They wanted to laugh since they knew the girls had given them a hard time for not being able to go the game like everyone else. The girlfriends had called and told Thomas want had been said when the teenage boyfriends had called their girlfriend. He wanted to laugh as he listened to how his boys, his macho boys had wimped out and told their girlfriend they would try to get their parents to change the night of family fun. They were getting so tired of this evening with their parents and they certainly wouldn’t call it family fun because they sat there watching their parents invite one evening after another trying for fun with them. They had to admit, there had been some evenings that were more fun than others.

The boys were standing in their yard wondering who had put up all the tents in their yard because there seemed to be tents all over the place. Watching as a bunch of their friends was walking toward their way and one of the girlfriends said “Maybe we will come over to see if we can change their minds?” The two boys watched as about ten or twelve of their friend plus girlfriends were going directly over to their parents. One of the boys whispered “This might be ugly. My dear girlfriend has that determined look on her face when she wants things to go her way only. Should we cut them off before they get to our parents?” The other brother nodded in a negative way as if to say “Let it happen the way it happens. We aren’t in charge, remember?”

As their girlfriend approached their parents, the boys were worried on what might happen because their girlfriends didn’t let anyone walk all over them. They usually like things to go their way and the boys knew without a shadow of a doubt that the meeting between their parents and their girlfriends were not going to go good. Or so they thought up to the moment when their girlfriends yelled out “Family Fun Night”   There was several yells before grills were brought out to grill everything from chicken to pork chops to hot dogs, brats, and hamburgers. Their parents had suckered them into Family Fun Night and his own girlfriends had done the rest of the punch to the stomach getting their friends to put up tents for everyone they had invited.

As the sun set, chairs were brought for people to sit in, lanterns were lit to see by, and food was set out to munch on. Everyone was laughing at the stunt that they had helped their parents pull on them. Family Fun Night had turned into invite people over to enjoy their good friendship and to have a good time while people relaxed from a hard time at either work or school.  Pizzas were ordered from the local pizzeria for the children and teenagers to munch on, the teenagers put away ten different types of pizzas with the help of the men that were at the party. Meats were grilled by men while the women brought out different types of side dishes such as coleslaw, potato salad, pea salad, and pasta salad.  Different types of potato chips and dips were brought out for the fiesta time. 

The brothers had to admit they were having a fun time camping out with their family and friends. The brothers had to admit that their parents had pulled a fast one on them. They knew they had to get back at their parents and friends, but for now, the brothers planned on enjoying themselves and eat until no more could be forced into their stomachs. Hugging their parents and saying “We love you and thanks for tonight.” Family Fun Night had started and the brothers were going to make sure everyone enjoyed themselves especially their parents and girlfriends.

September 10, 2020 01:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Judith Buskohl
16:27 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you for the positive remarks, Lonnie

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lonnie Larson
01:46 Sep 17, 2020

Very good. I liked how it went from no way to good job in a few hours. nicely done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.