Zero to A Thousand

Submitted into Contest #200 in response to: Write a story that includes the line “my lips are sealed.”... view prompt

1 comment

Funny Fiction Drama

"I’ve had one too many drinks." At least that’s what Deborah thought was happening when she noticed her best friend's groom with one of the bridesmaids the day before the wedding! Let’s see how she takes it, shall we? 

Deborah POV   

I see my Lord, and savior is testing me today. I thought my eyes were playing with me, or maybe I threw back too many Long Island ice teas to comprehend what was right in front of me at this moment. I just saw my best friend Sheva's soon-to-be husband, Carter, prancing around in the hotel hallways with one of the bridesmaids. I’m not too keen on who she is personally, let alone know the girl's name. She is not part of my immediate mutual friends' group with Sheva. If I’m remembering right, she was one of her friends she met at her job, I guess. But that’s beside the point. On to more pressing problems, which is whether or not I should tell Sheva that her so-called prince charming is a two-timing sleazy low-down dirty dog and "her friend" a capital H, from Babylon. I quickly jumped behind the wall to get out of their line of sight, but it seems like they were too busy sucking each other's faces to realize there were other people in the hall. 

That’s fine by me. I quickly pulled out my phone and took video and pictures of the affair before she grabbed him by his tie with those fake press-on nails of hers and pulled him eagerly into her awaited bedroom. I can’t believe this, and I'm still in shock. Every bone in my body is telling me to bust in there and give them a piece of my mind on behalf of Sheva and myself. The door slammed shut, and I was off to the races after I got myself situated. It took some time for my body and feet to get on the same page. I sprinted to my room, which I shared with my friend Keisha. Stumbling off the elevator onto the fifth floor, I had to take a quick breather because my head was still spinning from the alcohol. "Come on, Deb, get ahold of yourself," I muttered to myself as the elevator doors opened to my floor. Heels in hand, I ran down the hall in search of our room. Once I found it, I banged on the door. I hope she isn't sleeping. 

It took her ten seconds to force open the door with a stern face. "D**m five-o, are you alright? Why are you knocking on the door like that? Where’s your key?". I pushed past her into the room, and she closed the door behind me. All the adrenaline I felt started to subside after taking a couple of deep breaths. "You look like you've seen a ghost. What happened to you?" I looked at her. "You won’t believe what I just saw." "What? Must be pretty serious," she said, folding her arms across her chest as she waited for me to continue. I took a deep breath. "I saw Carter kissing one of the bridesmaids, and they are in her room right now". She stared at me with her wide eyes and mouth ajar. "You’re lying?!," "No way, are you serious?" "Shh, keep your voice down, and yes, I am. Hell, I wish I wasn't," I voiced, shaking my head. It was written all over Keisha that she was fuming. 

"That piece of trash really decided to do this 16 hours before he marries Sheva." "Oh no, not on my watch". She turned on her heel and was about to march out the door until I stopped her. "No, no, no, you’re not going to say or do anything about this to anyone, especially Sheva." I stood blocking the door. "We are not seriously about to let that jerk get away with this." She stared at me like I had five heads. “Of course, not” I had a smirked to myself. “But you can best believe tomorrow we be a day he’ll never forget but you can’t mention a word to anyone not even Sheva not until tomorrow.” Keisha nods her head in agreement “My lips are sealed”. “So, what you have in mind?” I started to give her the run down on the operation.  

Third person POV  

Deborah could barely sleep a link last night; rather it was due to excitement or anxiety, all she knew was today was gone to be a one “special” surprise for everyone. Her and the rest of the bridal party were in their separate rooms away from the groomsmen and groom to get ready for the day. All the bridesmaids were dressed in their off the shoulder mermaid style floor length gowns and waited outside Sheva’s room while she got ready with her mother. None of us have seen her wedding dress so she wanted to surprise us. Meanwhile, Deborah couldn’t help to land her wondering eyes towards wicked witch of a “friend” sitting across from her on her phone smiling away. Who could she be talking to? Carter? Another man perhaps? It’s made Deborah want to barf.  

Keisha must have peeped the situation as well; rolling her eyes at the scene. Deborah and her shared a look with each other and smirked. A few minutes went by then the side doors started to open. Out came Sheva in a spaghetti strap, Cinderella-like white gown with an elegant lace bodice completed with a sheer nude neckline. Finishing off the look with a full 3D laced skirt matching the top. Deborah felt tears in her eyes; she looked absolutely stunning. It really complimented her chocolate skin tone so well. She had her hair curled into a bun with the matching bridal tiara veil flowing down to the floor. Everyone gasped and threw compliments at her when walked past by to the middle of the room. She twirled around in a circle for dramatic affect. “Do you guys like it?” she asked the group.  

“Love it!” They all screamed and giggled in unison. Sheva’s mom quickly checked her watch. “Ok ladies, as much I hate to break up this happy moment, it’s time to get this party on the road”. All the girls grabbed their flower pieces and rushed out the doors. Deborah fortunately hung back far enough to grab Sheva by her arm before she could get away. “Hey can I talk to you for a minute” she whispers in a hushed tone. Sheva looked confused but agreed. Keisha thumbs up and closed the doors for their privacy. “What is it you need to talk about Debs?” Deborah let out a breath she didn’t even know she was holding before opening her mouth.  

-Time skip to the ceremony- 

All the bridesmaids and groomsmen made it down isle to their rightful places as the piano played que up for entering of the bride. Sheva stood with her left arm around her father’s then they slowly made their way down the rose petal filled runner. She still had a smile on her face but Deborah knew better. It was shocking she still wanted to go through with the wedding after what she told her and showed video evidence. At this point, even she was just as confused of what was about to happen for these next excruciating hours. They made it done the aisle then her father nodded her off towards a waiting Carter. The nerve to have that big stupid grin on his face.   

“We are gathered here today in front of God, family, and friends to unite Sheva and Carter in hold matrimony...” the pastor went into his whole lengthy dialog which Deborah slightly blocked out. Listening only every once and awhile. “If there is anyone present who can show just cause these two should not be joined in matrimony; speak now and forever hold your peace...” Deborah looked at Keisha who was already looking at her then she moved over to the bride maid's face or at least tried when she notice the girl was looking away. She finally turned towards Sheva and Carter. They both smiling in each other but if you blink, you’d would missed the mischievous smirk of Sheva’s lips. What is about to happen? 

“The couple has decided to prepare their own vows for each other, if you all be so kind to give them the floor” the pastor nods his head to the couple and everyone quiet down allowing them to have their undivided attention. Carter went first. “Sheva, as I stand before you, my eyes look deeply into your eyes, and I’m reminded of all the things I fell in love with. I find myself loss for words to say. You are everything I could ever wish for in a wife. It makes me remember how blessed I am, how I can’t ever thank the Lord enough for allowing you into my life. Sheva, I love you, I promise to love, to protect, and to cherish every moment we have forever.” Awes and small claps were heard amongst the audience. Deborah and Keisha scoffed and mumbled under their breaths. 

Sheva handed off my bouquet to Deborah and grabbed hold of the microphone. “Oh Carter, that was...touching. Thank you”. His groomsmen gave him encouraging pats on the backs. Sheva giggles to herself. “I’ve prepared a poem for you I hope you like it,” she clears her throat “There once was a guy, engaged and true...But with the bridesmaid, he did pursue. He cheated and lied, His love for his fiancé died, and now she stands in front of everyone to say their through.” Everyone gasps and Carter was left speechless. “Umm....what’s going on baby?” he questioned. 

She looked at him; and if looks could kill, he’d be six feet under for sure. “What’s going on...oh I’m just letting everyone know what a lying, conniving jacka** you are!” She warped around and looked at the frighten bridesmaid “And you, how dare you do this to me!” Sheva launches at her; the girl tries to run away not before Sheva managed to yank her wig off her head. Deborah and Keisha immediately burst into laughter. The girl screamed and ran out the church. While everyone else was distraught, Sheva carried on with her attack by continuously hitting Carter with said wig. Took a few minutes before someone had the courage to pull her off of him. 

“You can let me go; the wedding is off” she fixed herself and casually marched back up the aisle with her parents right behind her and her two faithful friends close behind. Well, that went zero to a thousand real fast. 


June 01, 2023 23:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

C. Charles
01:58 Jun 13, 2023

Nice work! I like that Carter got what was coming to him, and that Sheva waited until they were in front of their family and friends to expose him. There were some things going on as far as structure. Usually, when there's dialogue between characters, there's a new paragraph when who is speaking changes. I think you could also do without telling the reader whose perspective we're getting or when there's a time jump or a change of scenery. Let us figure out where we are in the writing, you don't need to tell us! Many writers will just use s...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.