0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

Teacher Janaki had just entered the school when she got a call from principal Sonia wanting her in her office. Janaki went Sonia’s office. Janaki was the class master of the 8th standard which had 20 students. Learning House School for women was well known in Reed city for producing many outstanding students. Its principal Sonia was about 50 tall and well-built. With her shell rimmed spectacles she looked overbearing which she was.

Sonia seated Janaki and said “Tomorrow is Saturday and it is a ḥalf day. You can take your students to the Typend Farm for them to study vegetables and fruits.”

Janaki was silent. Sonia continued “I’m sure you’ve recovered from your grief.” Two years ago as Janaki was entering the Typend farm with students she got the message that her engineer husband had just expired at work due to accidental electrocution.

Janaki said “I’ll take them.”

Sonia felt happy that Janaki had come to terms with reality. She saw Janaki was slim and tall and quite good looking. She was past 35 but seemed to have no thought of marrying again.

The next day after classes, Janaki and her students got into the school bus and proceeded to Typend farm. There she was told that due to some fumigation and insecticide dispersal the farm was closed to visitors.

Janaki called Sonia and told her. She said “Take the students to the marina. They will like to play in the sand on the beach. And get them all some goodies to eat.”

The heat had reduced by the time they reached the marina. They paused and had iced soft drinks . Then they walked the boardwalk towards the sea. They were eager to put their feet under the waves but Janaki said “None of you should go to wet your feet without holding my hand. Otherwise the punishment will be severe.”

Janaki formed a chain with 4 or 5 students and jointly stood in the waves coming ashore. The other students stood by watching at a man creating some structure by sculpting wet sand. He had covered about 4 feet square and a structure almost 4 feet high had been created by pouring wet sand out of wooden buckets. One of the students asked him “What are you building?”

The man brought out his phone and showing a photo said “I’m constructing a sand castle like this. I haven’t completed it yet. Wait and you will see.”

Some of the girls said “We can help you. Give us the buckets and spades.”

“Thanks a lot” he said giving them what they wanted. As he worked he said “I’m making the moat surrounding the castle. Crocodiles will lie in it so that the enemy cannot enter. These are the ramparts from where cannon will be fired.”

As he explained Janaki joined. She was surprised to see how easily he had made friends with her students. He was tall and fair but was partially bald. She estimated his age as 40+. He could be called handsome as he stood in shorts and a T-shirt on top.

The man said “I must plant a flag on the castle. Can someone help?”

A newspaper was available and another found a spike. The flag was fitted.

He said “There you’re! My castle is complete well ahead of time. Many thanks to all of you who helped.”

Janaki now said “I’m Janaki a teacher from the Learning House School. These are my students. I missed hearing what you had to say about this castle.”

He folded his palms in salutation and said “I’m Manoj an architect. I had been sand sculpting a kind of castle when your students helped me to complete the structure. The girls have made photos of this castle.”

Janaki said “It has been well made.” He gave her his card and she said “I now recognize you. You’re  architect Manoj who built the Emerald Tower which is a show piece.”

He laughed and said “I’ve built a few other buildings as well. Nice to hear I’m known.”

A trolley now came rumbling on the boardwalk and Manoj said “Ah! Here comes ice cream. I’m buying all of you ice creams particularly to those who worked with me.”

The ice cream man said “I may not have that many for all of you.”

Manoj said “Give all who are here an ice cream each. Let us see if you’re short.”

That done it was found that they were just two short. The seller said “It will take some time for me to get you the remaining two.”

Manoj said “Doesn’t matter.”

They enjoyed the ice cream as beach goers started coming in for the evening air.

Janaki asked “Why’re you sand sculpting here?”

He didn’t answer for a moment and she felt she had intruded on his privacy.

She said “I’m sorry. I didn’t want to pry.”

“Not at all. It’s a long story. Meet me some time or call me and I’ll tell you. If you come to my office I can give you the one ice cream you’ve missed here today. You don’t have to hesitate as my office has many people both male and female.”

She liked his frankness and said “Tomorrow I’m free as it is Sunday. I suppose your office would also be closed.”

“I’m in my office 24x7. You’re welcome.”

“I’ll be there around 10.”

Manoj wished all students goodbye. Janaki said “I’ve the school bus to travel in.”

He said “Don’t worry about me. My car is parked on the road.”

“One more question. How long will this castle survive on the beach?”

“May be another hour. As the sand dries the structure will collapse. Bye!”

Janaki and the students returned to the school and dispersed.  Janaki lay that night thinking about Manoj. He appeared s very nice and considerate men. What can I talk with him?

She was at Manoj’s place sharp at 10. He was in a housecoat thrown over his pants. He said “Welcome lady! Those two ladies are my engineers working on a building which I’ve to construct. Please sit down.”

The ice cream came not only for the two but for his staff as well. As we had the ice cream he said “You asked me why I was sand sculpting yesterday. I had a son who was even better then me at sand sculpting. He and his mother passed away due to covid. He would create his structures on the beach at the same point where I was doing it yesterday. It was his anniversary yesterday and I felt like creating a sculpture in his memory. You can see pictures of his work wḥich I have. I can’t match him.”

Janaki and Manoj got close and married in due course ending their loneliness and grief.

END

May 13, 2023 10:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.