A Purrfect Plan

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who causes a huge problem.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Eve-


His wide blue eyes pulled me in like a black hole. They were captivating, adorable. As was he. His little black paws, and the way he nuzzled into my leg, everything about that damned kitten compelled me to adopt him. I called him Hades, after my favorite Greek deity.


When I took him home to my girlfriend Anna, she was delighted, and took him into her pale arms like a baby. She cooed at and cradled the tiny creature happily. If only I'd known that the sweet little kitten would grow to tear our world apart.


It started small. When Hades was a few months old he pulled one of my girlfriend's dresses out of her drawer and left it on my bed like a strange gift. Hades hadn't done anything like that before. He didn't even scratch the furniture. I picked it up to put it away and was struck by the smell of sweet, fruity perfume. I didn't recognize it; it wasn't mine, or my girlfriend's, she only ever wore Coco Chanel, and I myself only wore Lynx deodorant.


When I questioned her about the smell Anna acted innocent, ignorant as to where it could have come from. I loved her, and I trusted her, so I didn't push the matter any further, despite the pang of doubt in my guts. I always was too much the romantic.


By the time Hades was an adult he had shredded multiple letters with his sharp claws, brought home many small rodents, and attacked my girlfriend too many times to count.


I tended to the bleeding wound on Anna's arm, wrapping it up with the bandages I always kept on hand. Part of being a nurse, I suppose.


"Ouch" Anna winced, her long black hair flowing slightly in the breeze coming from the open window to our right.


"Sorry, babe" I finished tending to the wound and pulled her into a gentle hug, taking in the smell of shampoo and Coco Chanel wafting off of her.


We pulled away from the hug and I instinctively kissed Anna, but we were quickly interrupted by a high-pitched, persistent meow. I looked at Hades with an annoyed expression, and reluctantly patted my knees to let the cute little pest onto my lap. I stroked him and he began to purr loudly, opening his eyes for just a moment to look at Anna, before closing them again with a human-like expression of contentedness.


"You're too soft with him" Anna crossed her arms with a huff. "He scratches and bites me all the time, and you still treat him like an angel" She complained.


"Oh, but look at his little face" I spoke in a baby voice, still lightly scratching my pets head.


Anna rolled her eyes, unable to hide the amused smile which flashed across her peach-colored lips. God I loved her. She was the most beautiful, kind and wonderful woman I had ever met. She gave no indication that she would even hurt a fly. I could never have guessed the truth.


It was a sunny Sunday afternoon when I smelt that strange perfume again. I was taking the laundry to be washed when it hit me. After putting the washing on I let my curiosity get the best of me, and made my way upstairs. I searched in the drawers, the white wooden vanity table, the wardrobe, when I was startled by the sound of pattering on the floor, and turned around to see Hades, his head slightly cocked to the side, looking at me with what I swear was a smile. He meowed and stealthily made his way over to the bottom of the bed, stretching slightly before patting his paw underneath it.


I followed my pet over to the bed and crouched to see what he was pawing at. A small wooden box. Deep brown, with intricate carvings. It was beautiful, truly, and strange. I had never seen it before, it must have been Anna's. It looked...old. I pulled the box out and cradled it in my hands for a moment, unsure whether or not I should open it. I would be invading my girlfriend's privacy. Then again, I just had to know what was in it.


"Open it" A silky, male voice spoke, making me practically jump out of my skin.


I snapped my head around to look for the source, but only saw Hades, sat on the floor, watching me intently. I felt I must be losing my mind, and, with my heart racing, I turned my attention back to the box.


"Open it" The voice was more forceful now.


I turned to look at Hades, who licked his paw as I stared at him. Cats don't talk, I told myself.


"We do, though" Hades spoke. It was undeniable. I saw his mouth move, heard the smooth voice whistling through his sharp teeth.


"What?" My breathing was labored, my hands shaky, still holding onto the box.


"We speak" Hades strode over to me, standing just inches away from my face. "Well, I do at least" He corrected.


"I'm losing my mind" I chuckled nervously, wondering if perhaps I'd been slipped some kind of hallucinogens.


"No, you're not" Hades assured me, putting his little paw on my leg, as though to reassure me.


"How can you talk?" I frowned.


"How can you talk?" Hades retorted, mocking me.


"What do you want?" I asked, unsure what else I could possibly say. This was just so bizarre.


"I want you to open the box" He informed, glancing at the box in my hands.


"Okay" I gulped, opening the silver latch and looking inside.


What I saw sent shivers down my spine, and a sickly feeling of fear and shock into my guts. There were pictures of another girl in compromising positions with my girlfriend. The worst part was the pictures of my girlfriend and her lover looking like a happy couple at the beach, smiling for a Polaroid selfie. The girl was pretty too. She had painted red lips and curly blonde hair, just like Marilyn Monroe. I began to cry, sobbing my broken heart out. How could she do that to me? We were together for five years. I was ready to give her my life. I felt Hades nuzzle into my wet cheek, moping up my tears.


"It hurts, I know" He spoke softly. "But...I thought you deserved to find out" He informed.


I wiped underneath my eyes, feeling sick from shock and confusion, and took the cat into my arms, hugging him to my chest like a comforting teddy bear.


Anna-


I always knew that damned cat was trouble. I could feel it in my bones. He hated me. I sound crazy, I know, and...maybe I am, but I knew he shot me evil looks, and I swear he knew how much he was hurting me when he attacked with those pointy claws. When I returned home from work it was dark, and the hallway lights were off. In the darkness I could just about make out the shadow of a cat. Hades sat in the darkness, watching me with those almost glowing blue eyes.


I ignored the pest and made my way upstairs, where I found Eve sleeping peacefully, cradling a wooden box in her arms. It was that wooden box. I felt my eyes widen as I considered what to do. Had she looked inside? It really wouldn't look good for me if she had.


"Anna?" Eve groaned sleepily, slowly sitting up, still gripping the box tightly.


"You okay?" I tried to act casual, sitting on the edge of the bed.


"No" Eve began to cry. "How could you?" She held the box out in front of her, indicating why she was so upset.


"Babe, it's not what you think" I began to explain. "She's my ex, she sent me those pictures a few days ago and I just...didn't know what to do with them". I tried to take Eve's hands, but she pulled them away.


It was truly idiotic of me to keep those pictures of me and my ex Ashley, but, I had loved the woman, and I possessed fond memories of my time with her. She was still my friend. I still cared about her. It was even more stupid of me to go and see Ashley...twice. I didn't cheat, I loved Eve with all of my heart. I wanted to marry her. I just...wanted to see my friend. I'd hugged Ashley when we met for coffee, got her perfume on my clothes. The only reason I hadn't told Eve was because, well, it seemed dodgy, I wasn't sure how she'd react. Then, when she sent me those pictures, well...how could I explain that?


"You expect me to believe that?" Eve frowned, tears still streaming down her rosy cheeks.


"It's the truth!" I exclaimed, clearly panicking. I didn't want to lose her.


"If it was so innocent, why didn't you just tell me about it?" Eve retorted. She had me there.


"I don't know" I began to sob.


"Just get out!" Eve pointed furiously at the door, raising her voice.


"No" I shook my head, grabbing my girlfriend's hands in mine, begging her with my eyes to let me stay. I desperately kissed her cheek, trying to make everything alright again.


"Get off me" Eve pushed me away, sending shock-waves through my body.


"Okay" My voice became tiny, my breathing difficult, and I slowly made my way out of the room, hoping with every step that Eve would call me back in. She didn't.


I walked downstairs, through the corridor, and as I made my way to the door there was Hades. Sat patiently near the front door. He licked his paws, maintaining eye contact with me. In that moment I was so sure he seemed somehow...pleased. He hissed at me as I exited the house.


Hades-


I got what I wanted. Eve stroked my head softly, listening to my contented purrs. She was all mine. I had well and truly seized each and every opportunity that came my way. When I followed Anna to the coffee shop, saw her being all friendly with that other girl, and heard them catching up, my plan began to come together.


I followed that Ashley girl to her home, and spoke softly in her ears as she slept, planting the suggestion that she should try and get back with Anna. When she sent those pictures I was delighted. There was no way Eve would forgive her girlfriend when she saw those lewd pictures. It was purrfect.


I had always wanted a completely devoted human to call my own, and I never thought Anna was good enough for my Eve anyway. I would give her the unconditional love she deserved.

May 09, 2020 13:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.