Are you still here, Olivia?

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write a ghost story where there’s more going on than it first appears.... view prompt

6 comments

Fiction Horror Crime

I met her in the dilapidated house two kilometers away from our house. I usually passed by here every afternoon while riding my bicycle. It was ten past five in the afternoon. I felt the cold wind, my hair stood on end. Anyway, I was used to it and I didn't bother about that. I stared at the house for a long time. I was suddenly flabbergasted when my phone rang. "Kate! where are you? hurry, go home now!" I broke out into a cold seat. I immediately leaved the place. 

     I arrived home, but no one was there. "Mom! Mom! Mom! " I went to my mom's room, she was not there. Until I found a note. "Kate, your father rushed to the hospital." I shouldn't push the panic button, I decided to call my mom. " Hello, mom how is dad?" It made my world stopped. I couldn't utter even single word. I rushed into my room, and got my bag. The door seemed to sympathize with my agony. I drove my bike as fast as I could, but it seemed that I couldn't leave the place. 

    Until I passed by at the dilapidated house. I was perplexed and distraught. Without noticing I was sobbing. I couldn't help myself, Suddenly it was dark around, and I felt the numbness of my body. When I opened my eyes, I saw a woman holding my hand tightly. She was really my resemblance the picture of myself. She asked," How are you feeling right now?" It was really clear as mud. I looked at her with bewilderment. She was trying to read what I was thinking, but she couldn't figure out. I saw her gloomy eyes as if in great misery. 

    Someone approached me. She seemed to be just my age. "Can you hear me?" Her voice was very calm. When I opened my eyes. I saw her deep eyes. Those enraged and petrified eyes made my heart pounded. I felt the same thing with her. She left and went to one of the rooms. "Take a rest until you're fully recovered." she added. I couldn't sleep. After a while she brought me an ill-scented blanket. I couldn't explain it, one thing I'm sure it was the smell of rotting human's body. Anyway, I didn't care, I know I was in a safe place. She went back to the gloomy room and brought me a pillow with a written name "Olivia" The old and fusty pillow reminded me of something. 

     She hugged me tightly. "I am glad that you're fine now."

She said. Her eyes were full of astonishment and satisfaction. "Are you hungry?" she asked me with a grin on her face. I just nodded, I felt I didn't eat for a long time. She went downstairs to prepare my food. I looked everywhere, my stuffs were all the same. I glanced at my table beside my bed. I saw a portrait of a merry family. They showed genuine love for one another. All of a sudden, my dejected heart began to break into pieces and tears fell on my cheeks. I wiped it off immediately. I heard her gentle voice again, which relieved my anxiety. "Here's your food, I hope you like it." I know, she would not forsake me ever, I felt it. 

      I tried to close my eyes, but I didn't sleep a wink. I wished, I could sleep like a log. I checked the time. It was quater to twelve. The candle was about to melt. I looked everywhere the house looked abandoned for many years. The spider's web covered the ceiling. I had a deep thoughts for a while. "How could she survived here?" I suddenly heard a horrible whimpering sounds. It came from a dim room where she used to go. My heart skipped a beat. The defeaning silence added terror in the gloomy place. I stood and walked toward the room where the sound came from. The sound got louder and louder. I heard her screaming, and she was moaning in pain. I wanted to head out, but I was nearly paralyzed with cold. 

        As I ate she couldn't take her eyes off at me.

"Bon appetit!" I just nodded without hesitation. I almost consumed my food. I saw her tears falling on her cheeks. She was pinning her hope on a new chapter of her life. "Even though my dearest one passed away, I still had one left." I looked at her with full of hope. 

       I didn't move for a long time. Suddenly someone grabbed my hand it was very cold. " Don't be bothered about what you've heard." Even I can, but I couldn't. " It's midnight why you are still awake." I just looked at her bloodless face. She sat beside me and told me," "I don't like to stay here with myself alone." I didn't get her point. "Could you please stay with me." I couldn't utter words at first. "Yes I will, but only tonight I'm sure my mom is already worried about me." Her face suddenly changed, it made my heart beat so fast,I even heard it. She asked me to follow her. We went outside, she ran across the street. I tried to save her. The 10 wheeler truck almost ran over her sickly body. I was glad I saved her. Until, darkness covered me, My heart seemed to give up. 

        I couldn't imagine how I fought on the brink of death. I couldn't even see my dad for the last time, and I couldn't sympathize with my mother during the time of sadness, I was comatose for few months. I thought that was the end of my journey. 

       I was enjoying the fresh air that touch on my face while  riding on my favorite bike. I went back to the dilapidated house. It was still the same as before,It was full of grief. I came to one of the dim rooms. I saw a blanket and a pillow "Olivia" that was the name written. There was a cat under the stained and foul bed. I tried to look, I suddenly backed away. I saw the skeleton of a woman who wore a white dress that I saw before. I was petrified and ran outside. I immediately, called the policemen to investigate the crime. They brought the body to examine. 

        The body was under investigation. What was really happened to you? I just sighted. I couldn't imagine her fate. Who did this to you? I wished you would here to tell me who mercilessly killed you.

        At night, I couldn't sleep. I was still thinking of her. I tried to turn the lights off to help me fell asleep. She visited me once again, I felt her presence and cold hand. I felt it! My heart skipped for a while. " Are you still here, Olivia?" 

October 20, 2020 05:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Loise Mwende
10:08 Nov 03, 2020

Good story

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
19:14 Nov 03, 2020

Hi Loise, Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:38 Nov 15, 2020

Lol! I just find it funny how we are just liking all of our stuff!!😂!

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
07:51 Nov 15, 2020

Oh! 😂 I like your stories, hope I read more from you.

Reply

07:59 Nov 15, 2020

Oh my! you were actually reading them?? Wow your a very fast reader. I will have to read yours later today And thankkk youu I can't wait to read yours!

Reply

Rachel Cerbito
00:40 Nov 16, 2020

Oh, most welcome. The title of yours caught my interest. Thank you too. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.