4 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Mystery

The phone rang; hello!,as I answered hello _but no one spoke." Who might that be? Mr Johnson thought over and over,the caller called again;in furious Mr Johnson picked up the phone_

" Are you a joker or what_

" My name is doctor Jude from Saint Matthew hospital, can you check in today at the hospital?

" D_doctor Jude, smiling through the phone; I didn't know it was you.Mr Johnson had an appointment with the doctor; waiting anxiously _" what was so urgent for my call." He was disrupted when the front desk nurse called him.

"Mr Johnson!Mr Johnson! Mr Johnson!

yeah,that's me

Mr Johnson hurriedly went into the doctors' office. Things were not clear when he waited; the doctor flipping over papers on his hand.

"Mr Johnson, am afraid there is bad news concerning your last test we conducted.

"What's it?doctor

Anxiety mixed with worries started building up;eyes popped out as Mr Johnson waited for the doctor to speak to him.

"Am afraid,you have colon cancer and you have one month to live." Mr Johnson was on his feet_

"w_what! Colon cancer_

scratching his head ,"no_no this can't be,

Mr Johnson walked through the door;his mind driven away without a single word to the doctor.

Inside a small room,Mr Johnson sat quietly at the corner; what he was writing ,no one had an idea.

(Whistling )Thomas happened to be passing when noticing his dad still in the room _"What is Father writing? Peeping through the small hole in the middle of the door.

Thomas!Thomas!Thomas!

"Yes,momma

"What re you doing there,peeping at your Father?

n_nothing momma

Are you sure,you naughty boy

people always knew that Thomas is a cheeky boy and a trouble maker.Thomas pretended to walk away;hidding himself at the corner of the wall watching his mother walking away.

Sneaking slowly into the room; standing quietly behind his father.

"Hey!dad

startled, papers falling onto the ground;Mr Johnson picking the papers that was scattered on the floor. Thomas couldn't stop laughing _"What are you doing,Father?

"Boy_go and play outside with your ball _

"But _Father,I want to play with you

"don't you see am busy,Thomas

full of disappointments,Thomas walked away looking down like a sheep.Sitting on a big rock,beside the garden,"what could Father probably be writing?

"few weeks left,I need to write this will. Mr Johnson said to himself.

(knock )

oh!Barrister

Mr Johnson came down the stairs as he asked the barrister that they may talk in the study room.Mystery could be smelled around the air;locking themselves in the room.

"momma,why is that man here?

"to see your dad _

"Why?

"oh my child, you ask so much questions _walking away,Thomas continued gazing at the closed room .

mmmmh......placing his ears close to the door,hoping just a little word could reach through his tiny,small ear.The sound seems so low like they were whispering; Thomas couldnt get what they were speaking about.

"I better get out of here,I don't want them to find me here_

Thomas hurriedly moved away from the door;Mr Johnson and the barrister walked from the room.Shaking hands; Mr Barrister walking away with his black briefcase on his hand.

The strength in his body started failing,sleeping on the bed ;beside him was Mrs Johnson and Thomas.Tears flowed over the cheeks that couldn't be controlled. Thomas tapped his mothers'shoulder _

"momma! Is father going to die?

"Stop all those bad thoughts, your father won't die _

Thomas wasn't convinced of what his mother was telling him;continuously weeping in pain.

At long last, Mr Johnson was awake coughing do hard placing pointing finger towards a jar of water.

"w_w_water

"you want water, "Mrs Johnson handed him a glass of water. Thomas being at the corner of the room,crying out his tears;attention was drawn to the son_

"s_s_son

Mr Johnson called unto his son;Thomas moved close to his father, his eyes all red up.

"father,are you going to d....

before he could finish the sentence, his mother placed her hands over Thomas mouth.Thomas didn't understand why they kept all the truth from him.

Mr Johnson died in his sleep; it was painful moment to the family. Mr Barrister once again paid them a visit and this time to talk to the family.

Sat in the living room as a family; Barrister opened up his briefcase and on his hand he held some papers.

"Mr Johnson had written a will,when he knew he had few weeks to live .

Mr Barrister couldn't waste a bit of time as he started reading out every details from the will.Unusual name had been mentioned in the will_

"Excuse me Mr Barrister,who is this John mentioned in the will that will inherit half of the properties.

Mrs Johnson was confused and demanded more answers to clear the air from doubt.A well dressed man walked into the room_

"Excuse me young man,don't you see we are in a family meeting. The man looked down and smiled at them;Barrister pointed towards the young man .

"He is John, Mr Johnsons' firstborn son_

"what! !!

Mrs Johnson shook her head out of misbelief; for many years of marriage a strong secret had been silenced,till his death all is coming to light.

"no ,I won't accept_

Thomas was in a confusion dilemma as he looked the faces of each person in the room.

"momma _who is this man?

oh!you must be Thomas, have heard alot about you.Am John, your elder brother.

"momma _I have a big brother ,wow

Thomas feeling so much excited as he continued singing, "I have a big brother _Mrs Johnson had no other way but to accept the will written by her husband Mr Johnson.

Thomas being excited having found someone to play with him football;wasn't bothered what was roaming inside the mothers' mind.

Mrs Johnson closed herself in her room;no uttering a single word,her lips sealed with no words to spit it out.

"momma!momma!

Thomas shouted at his mother; rushing down the stairs only meeting a fat brown lady stanine right at the door.Mrs Johnson tried to familiarize the face,but, there was no picture in his mind.

Excuse me! And who are you?

The woman didn't utter any word; looking around the house _

"what a taste you have here_

"who are you?

"Sorry about my manners, am Mrs Schneider Johns'mother _

murmuring. .."The least I could expect

"pardon, what did you say ?

"nothing madam, welcome in _

John came to meet his mother ;sitting In the living room, talking and laughing as Mrs Johnson went back to her room.

September 04, 2020 08:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

IRFAN FANI
14:21 Sep 10, 2020

Overall a Good atyempt by joan, writing a suspense story in a few paragraphs is not a easy task, but she does it beautifully.

Reply

Joan Opoyi
18:48 Sep 10, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Josefin Björk
11:08 Sep 10, 2020

This story is a little hard to follow, with the punctuation and the switching of perspective doesn't help. "The phone rang; hello!,as I answered hello _but no one spoke." Who might that be? Mr Johnson thought". Who is the "I"? Is it Mr. Johnson? The entire story is also in italics, except for one random part in the middle. Maybe take some time to edit and clean up your punctuation and format, I'm sure it would help tons!

Reply

Joan Opoyi
18:48 Sep 10, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.