17 comments

Friendship Funny Teens & Young Adult

That’s the thing about this city, everyone cares about you. Me and my Dad were once alien to the heavenly city of Salem, we just got into our new roof. After mother transcends due to COVID, father apprehends that we should move to forget the pain of loss, yet I dictate him not. “We should stay near in the graveyard of mom, she told me to keep the house clean, since she will be gone for a long time,” I seriously told him, perhaps he will decline his verdict though it was just a lie. Dad is mama’s chauffer, he unceasingly tailed mom wherever she goes ever since the outbreak of the Pandemic.

Each day, out of 200 calls on the phone, a hundred and fifty are coming from my parents’ dialogue, and their talks only last for a minute with repeating the same questions in every call. “Are you okay? Where are you now? Do you have cough and colds?” and sometimes, mom would ironically say, “Tomorrow, you might not ask me of your hectic interrogation. Stop it! I might dissect you of your talkative mouth.” Everyday, everything stays the same; phones keep on ringing, in-and-out goods delivery, and stressed-out Virtual Class with the adamant professor who enjoys giving tons of work. All things remain rigid even after mom passed away from us.

The discussion lasted an hour, Dad keeps on nagging me while I pretend that none is speaking before me. The less I hear Dad, the more I pictured mom’s face and amplified her humming voice. I suddenly catch this phrase, “Melchizedek, King of Salem,” the last word echoed simultaneously like unending ripples of waves drifting in the water infinitely. “Let’s go to Salem Dad. I want to move to Salem State of Manhattan City.” I abruptly told him. Dad was startled, “Salem is an anonymous city of deluxe. What place would have this kind of tag! Righto, just tell me where to find this.” I boldly retorted, “I’ll give you ten days to search for Salem by yourself. If you can’t, we’ll stay here.” I walk-out after daringly commanding him as if he's my under “sterling.” I love my Dad; he better realizes me than ma but she’s better at taking care of my homework and written essays. Honestly, I do still love her but in a special means of showing it.

Hazy morning, Dad started his quest of finding Salem, and in hand, I slowly prepare the necessary things to prep for home vacate. Expecting, he would find it ASAP. It was already midnight sphere, but I still haven’t seen Dad for a while after his leave for the pursuit. Our home is fashion in old ways; it was mounted since 1900s but still standing strong throughout the ferocious tides of time. I’m afraid to sleep alone; we are near to the land of the dead where thousands of “ghosts” are asleep and lurks peacefully under the luminous scant of moonlight. I suddenly felt an irresistible force gravitating my head down until the phone echoed in a vicious tone.

Who would call at this hour?” I yelled incredibly that our dog prowls his ears.

“Sorry, son…,” the voice responds calmly,

“Sorry, you must be mistaken for calling me,” I talk back.

“I’m not. Tell me where you are currently living?” he asked straight, “Oh God! Who the hell is this,” I whisper personally.

“Ok, Fairview, NJ St. 1009. Did you catch that?”

“Yes son, Thank you”

“Stop calling me son, cause I’m not yours,” I told him. The phone just hang up. I get back to sleep waiting for Dad perhaps he is delayed due to some reasons.

Not too long, the doorbell just rang, and I was shocked in distress. I look casually outside the window of our house with angst. A certain man stands erect holding a canopy in his left hand dressed in a black leather jacket with a mask of matching color. It was raining with the violent rattling of the winds and the bustling blitz of lightning. I thought it was Dad, so I choose to welcome him at the entrance but...

“Hey Dad, you’re late…” I was stunned silent as I saw the glowing figures of that man; it was not really Dad.

“Come on kid, your papa is waiting for you. He got entangled in accidents, but he’s now safe and secure,” he talks similar to Dad, but I feel doubtful about it. To verify his appeal, I asked him, “From what town did you come from?”

“Salem, I came from Salem State of Manhattan City,” he spoke precisely that I couldn’t tell if he’s lying to me. I was left undecided, but Dad is in peril, I need to ‘rescue’ him.

“All right, I will change my clothing first, then we can drove.”

We drove almost half an hour, I felt nuisance along the way. I haven’t slept enough since the last evening due to insomnia, our family’s malady. I opted to take a little rest to regain some strength.

“Come on kid, we’re here. Your Dad must not have gone to bed since he wants to see you okay,” he stated in a comfy voice. I pull myself to reclaim my apprehension. Finally, I unknowingly trod my first step in the holy ground of Salem. As I walk my pace, the milieu seems arduous in aroma, and the ceasing of the fresh, breezing air façade the burning heat of my mind. I was not mistaken; Salem is a peaceful city that me and my Dad deserves to live and be driven soothe. Every house is elaborated in bountiful blooms of green flowers, which lush the visage of each. I feel amiably the grazing of the wind through my whole body; it was refreshing a thousand times of taking a bath in the night. I suddenly direct my sight to the door of a medium house. Dad was in front of the house smiling with glee and scents of contentment clad in bondages and splints.

“See, I have found Salem of Peace! Should we transfer then son? Mom will never return back; she is ahead of us to eternity. We should live by our own selves,” he told me sentimentally. I just laugh without indication, I thought he would take my words before as nothing but, he just sips it in.

“It's all right Dad, no worries if we would depart from mom’s hometown. She personally told me that her town sucks in personality among people,” Dad laughs hard when he heard it from me.

“We should go inside, it's already late time,” the man declared. Dad told me to go ahead, Jill and Chris are waiting for me in the living room. They will show me my bed site. As I walk, I accidentally overheard Dad’s conversation with the man.

“Thanks, Jack, for fetching my kid.”

“It’s the least thing I can do for you, Mark,” Dad replied.


I then enter the house cause I’m getting dizzy due to weariness. Jill and Chris are already asleep, and I stand clueless about what to do. I just sleep in the chaise lounge at the corner haplessly. I slept fastly that I couldn’t remember if this were our house, the one in Fairview, NJ St. 1009.

Evening ceases; morning has come a long way. I wake up with a smile on the face and the morning light seems to catapult the whole spring of happiness in my life. As I pull myself out of the hailing sofa, the aromatic fragrance of beacons and morning meal meets me happily. A beautiful lady stands cooking in the kitchen in the submerging tune of Lovely Day of Bill Withers.

“Hello dear, come and brace yourself in eating. I’m going to prepare the rest of the entrée,” she said jubilantly, just like mom. We altogether ate in a round-laminated table ornamented with floral design. While eating, Jill and Chris stand unexpectedly in their seat and said in an amusing voice, “Welcome to Salem State of Manhattan City where peace stays and plays.” We all laugh and cheered for their fanatic act. Their family is very jolly in the aura and superb at entertaining guests. I feel deeply that it was home and forever wants to stay here. Auntie Anna, the mother of the two gave me two golden stallions of Salem. It was indeed a pure one! At the day end, I and dad have settled the things for our new house, just beside a lot of the Cury Family, the one who treats us gladly in their place. In the evening we had our welcome party in the town. We haven’t expected this, but surprisingly the whole town gathered and throws us a simple yet special event. I remember what is written in the banner, “Welcome Ace Family to Salem State of Manhattan City where Peace stays and plays.” I considered it as the most treasured day of my Life.

Oh! I almost forgot, the party was held virtually, it lasted for 2 hours. You might think that we have violated the protocols promulgated by the governments. In Fact, our city ranked top 1 among the Freshest and Peaceful cities in the State. It’s because we all abide by the rules and regulations to make life easy for each one of us. All my life, I think everything is devoid in darkness, but not in this City of Love and Light. Sometimes, we suppose that there would be no perfect spot to stay in this world. Everywhere is a dangerous place to stay, but every person would make it safe for you. See, once an alien then becomes salient.                       

























March 20, 2021 03:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Jhamuna K
10:41 May 25, 2021

Hi Puleon I really like your story pls continue to write:):)

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
08:55 May 27, 2021

Ahhhh, How I like to do so, but my time doesn't permit me to do so. Hoping Someday, Somehow :):):)

Reply

Jhamuna K
02:51 Jul 06, 2021

Same here for me. Sorry for replying after so long :):)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jhamuna K
02:51 Jul 06, 2021

Same here for me. Sorry for replying after so long :):)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jhamuna K
02:51 Jul 06, 2021

Same here for me. Sorry for replying after so long :):)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Building Two 201
09:04 Apr 21, 2021

Congratulation on your writing!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Building Two 201
09:04 Apr 21, 2021

Congratulation on your writing!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:17 Apr 10, 2021

This is an amazing story Puleon! :)

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
02:22 Apr 17, 2021

Thanks for your appreciation guys!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ina Puleon
09:12 Apr 09, 2021

no, this is loving!!! congrats puleon!! :)

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
02:22 Apr 17, 2021

Thanks:):):):)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Williwaw Puleon
09:38 Mar 22, 2021

My story really sucks. What would you say about it?

Reply

Amel Parvez
11:22 Jun 02, 2021

No it does not. Really. Happy writing:)

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
02:56 Jun 12, 2021

Thanks for appreciation!

Reply

Amel Parvez
03:40 Jun 12, 2021

Na! no.problem.

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
09:41 Jun 17, 2021

:)

Reply

Amel Parvez
09:50 Jun 17, 2021

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.