3 comments

General

 

“So, you’re done. It is coming out in the stores today?” Kevin McGuire looked at his girlfriend, Jenna Smith as they walked from the take-out window at Neely’s – a local barbecue joint in Marshall, Texas, carrying their bags to his truck.

 

Jenna was looking in a bag, “Yup. Lord, these fries smell great.” She smiled at him. Kevin felt the butterflies in his stomach. When Jenna smiled, she didn’t have dimples or anything, but her green eyes sparkled every time. And every time, she did that, Kevin just went to mush.

 

He had been in love with Jenna since middle school – more than 40 years ago. But, they didn’t start the next level of the relationship until after they graduated college. Jenna had a couple of boyfriends, and he had dated a few girls. She had been in his life since pre-school. His dad worked for her dad, and they became best friends.

 

“Hello? Earth to Kevin. Where did you go?” Jenna asked standing right next to him in front of his black SUV. He shook his head, and took in a whiff of her scent – a mixture of Dove bath soap, vanilla bean shampoo, and Sand & Sable cologne. Kevin smiled, and leaned down and kissed her. “I love you, missy.”

 

Jenna sighed and breathed in deep. “Well, thank you. What were you thinking about?” She followed him to her door, and he opened it for her.

 

“How ready I am to get home,” Kevin said, shutting the door. The couple had been in Tuscaloosa, Alabama for several days seeing family and selling Kevin’s brother’s house.

 

Jenna watched Kevin walk around the truck – with his proud strut – head up, mocha-colored skin, hair in a crew, and a Texas Ranger baseball hat, with his sunglasses on – sliding down his nose. He wore a pair of blue jean shorts, with a red t-shirt with the #gotJesus printed on the front in white, and his sliders. She smiled. She had been in love with Kevin since third grade and he kissed her forehead on a dare while they were sitting in the reading circle at school.

 

Kevin unlocked his door, and looked at Jenna – she was in ‘lalaland.’ “And now where are you at?”

 

She smiled as he slid in, handing her the napkins in his hand. There were two bottles of Aquafina in the cupholders. “I love you.”

 

He smiled, and leaned over and kissed her forehead. “I am glad.” He sat back in his seat.

 

It was then that Jenna caught them. Three men in work clothes – probably a construction crew – standing at a truck two places down from them. They were all looking at Kevin and Jenna.

 

“We have an audience,” She whispered – not sure why, they were in the SUV and doors closed. She nodded with her head slightly toward the direction of the gaping men.

 

Kevin acted nonchalantly as he pulled his seatbelt on. He saw them. “They sure are staring.”

 

Jenna put her seatbelt on, and looked at him, “Kiss me again.”

 

“You want to give them a show?” Kevin asked, his left eyebrow cocked. She nodded.

 

Kevin leaned in, and he and Jenna kissed - long and sweet. As they parted, Jenna glanced in the direction of the men – all Caucasians. One of them was walking toward their SUV. “Well, here we go.”

 

She nodded as the man showed up at the door of the SUV. “Oh, Lord. I knew your food addiction was going to get my ass kicked one day.” Kevin shook his head, and laughed, as he rolled the window down with the electric button.

 

“Hi, can we help you?” Kevin asked.

 

The man smelled sweaty, and his face was full of dirt stains. He looked directly at Jenna. “We wanted to know why someone like you was with him?”

 

Kevin tensed. Jenna grabbed his hand. “Excuse me, do I know you? Have we met before?” She leaned in closer to the window.

 

“No, but I just don’t understand how a white woman as pretty as you would want to be with a colored man.” The man stood there.

 

“Dude, you ...” Kevin was about to let some words fly. Jenna leaned in closer to where both of her hands were on Kevin’s and keeping him still. She smiled, and looked at the man, “Sir, it is the sex. Once you go black, you won’t go back.” She pushed the button so the window would go up, and turned to Kevin’s face, and kissed him, “Now, I want you to turn the truck on, and drive.” She looked at Kevin, and leaned back, watching the man walk away.

 

Kevin sighed and drove the truck out of the parking lot. There was a quietness that wasn’t unfamiliar between Kevin and Jenna as he drove. He turned into a half-empty parking lot of what looked like once was a grocery store, and parked in a space.

 

He took some deep breaths. “We have been facing this for a long time, and it still doesn’t get any easier.”

 

“Well, you know, look at where we are. This is Marshall. Think about it, babe. When my parents went here in the 1950s to school, the separation between blacks and whites was evident … today, it is just more animosity between the races than ever before.”

 

He shook his head. “i am sorry. This is the price you have to pay to be with a black man.”

 

Jenna stopped, and turned, and acted shock. “Where is a black man?” She handed him his hamburger and winked. “All I see is my mocha-colored boy toy.”

 

Kevin shook his head. He grinned, taking the burger. “And you are not white, for sure, my peachy-colored baby.”

 

She smiled, putting her hamburger on the seat, and she poured the fries in the bag, so they could share them, and handed him a napkin. “Your peachy colored baby who has her first book coming out today.”

 

He grinned. “I am proud of you, baby. ‘A Country Mile’ is going to be a hit … all the pre-reviews were amazing.’”

 

“Well, you know, this ...” She pointed at him and her, while unwrapping her burger, “inspired it.”

 

He laughed. “A fictionalized this ...” He took a sip of his water. “Hey, you know what we should do? Longview has a couple of bookstores, let’s go see if it is in. I want to buy one or two or 10 to give out.”

 

“We don’t have to buy any … I can get some from Random House.” She laughed.

 

He started the SUV again and pulled out of the space. “Yes, buy some. Let’s hit every bookstore we see between here and home.”

 

She shook her head. Then got a serious look, “You know it is more than the sex right?”

 

“Baby, you have been in love with me since we traded sandwiches in the fourth grade at Foreman Elementary School … I thought it was because of my grilled cheese sandwiches.” He tweaked her nose.

 

Jenna took a bite of her burger, and twirled her dark chocolate brown hair, “You know it. Your mom made the best-grilled cheese. She put peppers in them.”

 

“And her foot.” Kevin laughed.

 

They left Marshall, and in about 28 minutes, he was pulling into the Walmart. “Didn’t you say Walmart would have it too?”

 

“You really want to change a Walmart?” Jenna asked, wiping her face with a napkin. She handed him the bag of trash from the lunch.

 

“We go in Walmart all the time … You have got your hair pulled back and that hat, and wait, is that my Aggies’ shirt?” He asked as he got out of the car.

 

She grinned, “Maybe. She put on her glasses and straightened out her black shorts stepping down on the pavement.

 

“Come on, let’s go see. This will be fun. There is a Books-A-Million right up the road.” He hit the lock button on the door and put his keys in his pocket, and padded the back of his shorts to make sure his wallet was there.

 

They walked toward the store, holding hands. He threw away the trash in the first trash can they went by.

 

“Look. We are not the oddity here,” Jenna said.

 

Two couples passed them – interracial couples.

 

Kevin pulled her close to him and kissed the top of her head. “You are just too much.”

 

They walked around the store until they found the book section near the electronics department.

 

There were shelves of books. Jenna was glancing up and down one section.

 

There was a lady with a buggy nearby, and Kevin walked toward the new releases – where there was a mom and her two kids, looking at books. The mom reached for a hardback book.

 

Kevin grinned. It was Jenna’s book. He watched, pretending to look elsewhere as the woman glanced at it. Jenna was down toward the end of the aisle still looking.

 

“Excuse me, mam, may I reach around you?” Kevin asked, reaching for Jenna’s book – the cover front and back – was a scene with a dirt road with some country homes, and trees, bushes, and such. It was artistic. Actually, it was a photo that Jenna’s brother had taken. Jason was a world-famous photographer.

 

“Sure, I am sorry.” She moved out of the way, still looking at Jenna’s book.

 

Kevin stood there a second pretending to look. “Do you her writing?”

 

“Jenna Smith? Oh yeah. This is her first book … she writes for the Dallas Morning News, a column, and it is just so real. When I heard she was publishing a fiction book, I knew I had to have it. Just came out today. Do you like to read?” She asked.

 

“Well, yes. I do. I was actually looking for a book for my girlfriend ...” Kevin said. “Is this a good idea?”

 

The mother nodded. “If this book is anything like her column or her podcast, I would say yes.”

 

“There is my girlfriend now,” Kevin said. Jenna was walking toward him and had a funny look on her face.

 

The woman looked up. She stopped for a minute, then looked at the book cover where Jenna’s picture was, an then back at Jenna, and then at Kevin … “You are Kevin McGuire, aren’t you?”

 

He grinned, and stuck out his hand, “Hi. I am sorry for playing this little joke. We were just kind of excited about her new book coming out.”

 

The woman shook his hand. Her kids were sitting in the buggy, with curious looks on their faces. The boy, an eight-year-old possibly, looked at his mom. “Mom? Is that him?” He reached into his mom’s purse and brought out a comic book with Kevin’s name as the writer and illustrator.

 

Kevin grinned. “Hey. Yeah, that is me. What is your name, bud?” Kevin shook the little boy’s hand. The girl was shy, sitting in the seat of the buggy.

 

“Dylan Long. I am seven.” Kevin grinned, and said, “I figured you were eight. Nice to meet you.”

 

The woman was still speechless. Jenna walked up, “Hi.”

 

Kevin held out the book, “Look, babe.” He pointed. Jenna smiled. “So, it is out?”

 

“Yes, and this is Dylan Long- look what he has.” Kevin pointed to the comic book. “Oh, the one where Frederick comes on the scene. My favorite one … hi, Dylan.” Jenna shook the little boy’s hand.

 

“And this is, I am sorry, I didn’t get your name.” He asked the woman.

 

“I am Hillary Long, and I have been a loyal reader of the newspaper since you started your column,” Jenna and Hillary shook hands. Hillary had her book in her hand. She looked at it, “Would you mind signing my book, and Kevin, would you sign Dylan’s comic book?”

 

Jenna was looking at the book in her own hands that Kevin gave her, and looked up at Hillary, “Sure, I would be glad too. Baby,did you bring a pen in?” She asked Kevin, who shook his head. “Nope, but I can solve that.”

 

Kevin walked a few aisles over to the school section, and came back with a package for black fine point markers, and opened them. “Will pay for it upfront.”

 

Jenna laughed and put her book under her arm, and took Hillary’s book. “How do you spell your name?”

 

Hillary said, “H-i-l-l-a-r-y. Thank you so much.”

 

Dylan handed his comic book to Kevin, and Kevin turned to the back where there was his bio. “Dylan, how do you spell your name, bud?” As Dylan spelled his name, Kevin drew a small caricature of Dylan as a superhero on the page, and wrote, ‘To Dylan, Always be yourself – Kevin McGuire, John 3:16.” He handed it to him, “How is that, bud?” Kevin blew on it and showed it to Dylan. His mom and sister looked at it, and everyone was smiling.

 

Jenna finished, and she wrote, ‘To Hillary, Always remember that anything can happen on a ‘country mile’ and if God’s your travel planner, it will be good. Romans 8:28, Jenna Smith.’ “My first autograph in my first book, do you mind if we take a picture? And post it on my social media? My parents would love it.” Jenna asked.

 

“Sure. I was going to ask if we could get a picture.” Hillary had her phone out with her book.

 

Kevin said, “You guys get together, we will do a couple of selfies.” He had his phone, and took a few shots and then took some with Hillary’s.

 

“And who is this pretty girl?” Kevin asked. Dylan said, “That is Emma. She doesn’t talk much yet. She is only one.”

 

Jenna touched Emma’s hair. “Beautiful hair … so curly and blonde.”

 

“I wanted you to know, my brother and sister-in-law have been married for five years, and they are an interracial couple. They had to face so much and still do with folks who are prejudice and don’t understand. They didn’t want to bring kids into the marriage because of it all,” Hillary almost had a tear in her eye. “But you guys were speaking at their church in Dallas last year at a couple’s retreat, and you talked about your own story and what you face, and that really helped them. She is now pregnant with their second child.”

 

Kevin grinned. “Wonderful. It is not easy. We still have it every day, and we have been friends since we were four years old. You just have to put a lot of faith in God.”

 

Jenna nodded. “Thank you for sharing that. When is the baby due?”

 

“Three months … So, when we will hear wedding bells for the two of you?” Hillary asked.

 

Jenna grinned, put her head down, and played with the pen. Kevin laughed, “I have asked her so many times, and she keeps saying no. I am not giving up yet.”

 

Hillary laughed, “Well, when you do, just know you have people who are behind you. Dylan tell, Mr. McGuire thank you. Ms. Smith, thank you.”

 

“Please, call me Jenna. Thank you.” Jenna handed Kevin the book. Kevin high fived Dylan, “Later dude.”

 

After the Longs left, Kevin pointed. “There are 15 copies of your book. She was 16, and mine was 17. Which means they had 20 copies.” He grinned.

 

Jenna looked at the book, “It looks so good. I mean, I saw the prototype .. But, Kevin.” She touched it.

 

“I dare you. Sign some.” He said. He held the pen in front of her.

 

“Are you kidding me? We could get into trouble.” She looked at him.

 

“Take a risk, baby.” He said. “I will be your look-out.”

 

Jenna took the pen from him and opened a book. She looked both ways, and signed, Dear Walmart Reader, Thanks for buying it. Jenna Smith, Romans 12:2.” She blew on it and put it on the shelf. Kevin handed her another copy. She signed four copies and he mixed them up. “Wait, we need a picture. Sign another one. Come on. Make Shelly happy.” Shelly is Jenna’s publicist.

 

She signed one more and posed for the picture.

 

“OK, can we go now? You were ready to get home?” Jenna said.

 

“Oh, no. We are going to stop at every bookstore I see between here and Garland.” Kevin said, taking a copy of the book, and the package of pens in his hand.

 

“Lordy, Kevin.” But deep down, Jenna was excited. It was her first novel, and one she really enjoyed writing. It was the love story of her and Kevin with some embellishments – but it was a story of interracial love, and it included the prejudices they faced and more.

 

They stood in the line at the cash register. Kevin, at nearly six feet and two inches in height, stood behind her, holding the book, pens and a bag of Gummy Bears he snagged from hanging on the end cap – Jenna’s favorite candy, and a Kit Kat – his favorite candy.

 

Both were silent – in their own thoughts. Kevin still had their encounter with the man on his mind. He hated that people still felt the way they did.

 

Jenna was thinking about it too. In her mind, she was putting together an idea for a column – something she had not written before. Normally, with the newspaper, she stayed out of political discussions, but the increase of racism – in particular with police and black Americans, Jenna felt she needed to say something.

 

Kevin looked down at her – she stood five feet and four inches tall. He saw the look in her eyes. She was brainstorming. He smiled.

 

He looked at her book – though it was fiction, and all – her first book could make a difference in the fight against racism.

 

And he couldn’t wait to see how.

 

They moved forward, and Kevin put everything on the belt. Jenna looked at him, “Kev?”

 

“Yeah, baby?” He asked.

 

“That is my book.” She grinned.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

June 18, 2020 20:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Kien Vargas
04:54 Aug 13, 2020

I have a tendency to ramble so I'm going to get to straight to the point, this book is amazing. It touches on relevant issues and I live the mutual support that Kevin and Jenna share.

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:11 Jun 26, 2020

I love how it showcases the love between Jenna and Kevin and at the same time sends a strong message against racism.. Loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mehak Aneja
07:28 Jun 23, 2020

Very nicely written. Loved the topic and was very sweet. Loved reading it. Hope you could take some time out and read my story too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.