0 comments

LGBTQ+ Teens & Young Adult Drama

It was so cold, I could see my breath in the icy air. But then, it warmed up. When I saw him.

“Why the hell is New York always so damn busy,” I cursed to myself.

Hundreds apon hundreds of strangers, walking down the same city street as I am, and I’ll never see them again. That's weird to think about.

“Newspaper newspaper, only $2.95 a piece.”

I always pass the paper boys on the way home at night.

“Here, now gimmie a paper, Tim,” I always seem to buy one too.

I walked off looking at the headline, doesn't surprise me that there was a homicide in Brooklyn. I folded the paper and stuffed it under my arm.

It's always so cold this time of year, so so cold. I'm surprised the people who wear shirts and shorts don’t get sick.

I’m always on the lookout for those people, I like to stare them down and shake my head in disapproval. I’ve seen about three so far, but they didn’t look at me.

A couple more keep passing, but I show no interest in them, except one.

Time felt like it slowed down as he passed me, he was very…interesting per say.

I didn’t get a good look at him, which I was sad about, I wanted to see him and his features.

I stopped and turned my head, then my body, just to see him again. Only to find out he was staring right at me.

I froze.

Seeing him made fire shoot down my veins, I was burning up.

His hair reminds me of dark hot cocoa, and the way his curls swayed in the icy wind. 

I quickly took my glued eyes away from his figure. I can’t go getting flustered over a man I don’t know.

I started to walk away, trying to forget about him, but my mind always drew back.

“Ahh,” what was that?

“Hold on now, don’t go running.”

Damn, what's with that voice, and the grip on my shoulder.

My shaking head turned to make eye contact, and so followed my body.

“Y-You,” the man from earlier, the one I got flustered from just seconds ago. He's right behind me.

“Hey, I know we don’t know each other, but would you like to sit down and have a coffee?” He questioned.

“Coffee, at this time. I'll never sleep,” I sneered.

“Decaf genius,” he said while flicking me on the forehead. “Now come on.”

I followed him as he went the other way, there's no way I can win with this bastard.

“Hey uhh buff guy, I don’t even know your name, and you expect me to follow you at this time of night?”

He sighed, “Kai, Kai Thompson. Yours?”

“Akari Yamaguchi.”

He chuckled a deep, throaty chuckle. “Ahh Japanese, I thought I recognized that accent.”

“You speak really good English ya know Akari.”

I glared at him. “Well, you ever thought I was raised in New York hmm smart guy.” He was really getting on my nerves with this, but I can’t be too angry at him.

“Damn no need to be so feisty, not that I mind, but save that for later hmm.”

What the hell does that mean…save that for later, what's later.

We continued to walk down the cold streets of Brooklyn until we made it to a nice little cafe on our right. You’ve gotta be kidding me.

“A Japanese cafe, are you trying to insult me?” My eyes rolled to the back of my head, I can’t believe this dude.

“No no, I planned this before we even met, I just invited you.” That little smile of his was so smug…but kinda cute.

I didn’t respond, I just walked in.

It was pink, like very pink. I walked on birch wood floorboards and admired the space. Candy pink walls, woven light covers, and fluffy cat rugs that I wanted to lay on.

I walked up to the counter on my left and ordered an iced mocha decaf, decorated with pink stars, chocolate sauce, and whipped cream.

Kai ordered a classic cappuccino with skim milk and one sugar.

I tried to pay, but he insisted he does, as he's the one who led me here.

I walked down to the end table for two, a little cute pink table, with a little bouquet of white daisies in a vase.

I placed my paper on the table and took a seat.

“A homicide in Brooklyn ayy, not surprising.”

He pulled out a chair, placed my paper down, and sat down as well.

He smiled. “I like you Akari, I really do.” 

“Uhh thank you, I like you as well.”

We suddenly made eye contact, and I felt that warm feeling shoot down my veins again, I don’t know why.

I felt a large veiny hand touch mine. It was warm. Not as warm as this feeling but still warm. What was this, we just met, and now I’m mesmerized by him and his hazelnut eyes.

“A cappuccino with one sugar, and an iced mocha,” said the lady.

The tension broke, and a new one began. I slipped my hand out of his and then placed it in my jacket pocket.

“Thank you very much,” we both said in unison.

I swear I had a tint of red brushed over my cheeks, and I think he does too.

“Cheers,” we clicked our mugs together and took a sip.

“How's your coffee?” I questioned while taking a sip of mine.

“It’s good, I always like the coffee here…Oh, you have a whipped cream mustache haha. Here.”

He lent across the table and placed one hand under my chin, while the other wiped the cream off my face.

“Ahh,” his thumb moved down to my lips, lightly rubbing the lower one.

I pulled away, “Um I’m going to go the washroom, excuse me.”

I didn’t even let him respond, I just bolted to get away…stupid gay panic.

I rushed to push open the door and ran to the mirror.

“What the hell, what the hell, what the hell.”

I turned on the faucet and splashed water on my face. Do I like him? No, you're being crazy…but do you?

I dried my face and hands then exited the washroom.

As I was walking back down the hallway I looked to my left and saw a room full of cats.

“Kai Kai, look, it’s a cat room!”

I ran in and sat down and crisscrossed apple sauced my legs, placed a cat in my lap, and started to play with them. 

“Aww yeah, you're so fluffy yeah so cute yeah yeah.”

More and more cats walked up to me and covered me in licks and cuddles. I had to lie down to fit them all.

“This is absolutely adorable.” 

I bent my head backward to look at him. He was kneeling down and petting a cat that was on my chest.

“Akari! Who the hell is this guy?” My boyfriend…Damn.

FINISH

May 24, 2023 08:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.