3 comments

Romance Gay High School

March 3rd, 2022

‘God he’s such a douche.’

I stare at Henry across the library. Laughing with his dumb friends, drinking his dumb expensive coffee, and playing with the shoelace of his dumb costly shoes. Today he wore a dark green sweater with light brown khakis and whatever dude-bro edition Jordans that just came out. His hair was brown and fluffy, his face looked extra sunken and emotionless, and his skin glowed even more pale than usual. I hate him. I really do. I hate everything about him. Especially his girlfriend, miss Tiffany DeNola. Of course, you’d assume she’s some leader of the cheer team, plastic, barbie type, but that’s not even remotely true. Tiff was once my best friend. She is a tall, nerdy, organized girl with fluffy dark brown hair, tan skin, chunky glasses, and her signature J. Crew sweater collection. We grew up together. Matter of fact, she remains my next-door neighbor to this day. I never thought I would wish to change that. Not until she stabbed me in the back without a second thought. 

December 11th, 2021

I stared at Tiff with my jaw slightly unhinged and my heart shattered. Her words floated in one ear and out the other. They sounded like white noise. I didn’t comprehend a single thing she said after “I asked Henry to be my boyfriend last night!”. I didn’t want an explanation. I didn’t care for any lame excuses. Tiffany knew how I felt about Henry! Since day one! I couldn’t believe her. I couldn’t believe what I heard. With no regard for whatever else she had to say, I turned and walked away. I felt as if I was blacking out as I speed-walked straight to the bathroom. With both hands on the corresponding side of the sink, I choked on my tears. Each of my breaths came a minute too late. I felt like the world was closing in around me. I looked up to the ceiling and silently prayed to a God I didn’t believe in to make this all some incredibly mean joke. The door swings open and in walks Henry Niemann. “Now what could you possibly want?” I yelled louder than I meant to. “I-i’m sorry. It caught me by surprise. I didn’t know what to say, Jason.” He whimpered as he teared up. “I simply don’t want to hear it. Save it, really.” I reprimanded. Before he could say another word I sped out, leaving him with his eyes teary and his hands shaky. I made a promise to myself to never speak to either of them again. Some might call me petty, or tell me to be the bigger person in the situation, but I refuse to see it from any other point of view. Tiffany DeNola is cruel and Henry Niemann is a coward. 

March 3rd, 2022



We made eye contact. My heart skipped a beat, stupid heart. Why does it always feel the opposite of what I want it to? I didn’t want to feel a single thing for Henry-freaking-Niemann, but my heart fluttered when he noticed me, even if it was because I was staring at him like a lunatic. The bell rung. I rolled my eyes, put my baby carrots away, and left slowly. As I walked down the hallway I heard quick steps behind me. “Jason! Jason, please don’t walk away.” I rolled my eyes harder. There’s no way. Why? Why now? I turned around slowly. “What?” I groaned. He smirked. “You’re adorable.” He whispered. I scoffed and turned to walk faster than before. Of course, he followed. “Jason, I’m sorry! But wait up I really do have something to talk to you about.” He exclaimed. I turned around again even though I knew I shouldn’t have. “I broke up with Tiff. She’s gone, Jason.” He said. “So? I care why? Because if I recall, you had no problem ditching me to be her lap dog. Now what? Do we go to the prom? Meet the parents? Be in love and completely forget what you did and how you’ve treated me for the past three months?” I gradually raised my voice. “Not exactly what I had in mind.” He smirked again. I just stared at him, annoyed. I couldn’t believe he had so much nerve. "I know the mistake I've made, and I'd explain myself but I simply don't think it would even make up for it. Jason, I love you. You love me too. We don't have to be... boyfriends. But we can at least speak." He explained. My blood boiled. If possible my vision would have gone red. Oh, I could've hit him. Or yelled at him. But I didn't. I hugged him. I told him I forgave him and acted like my heart wasn't still broken.

Months went on. Henry didn’t really change much. Kisses were hidden under bleachers, holding hands was saved for empty corridors, and Tiffany DeNola was still a monster. I spent my nights crying and once again praying to a God I did not believe in to end my suffering. Henry Niemann tore me apart. He made me feel gross. He made me feel ashamed for being gay. Tiffany DeNola held it over my head. That if I got too close she would tell everyone. That Henry would move across town and never let himself be seen with me again. My life was miserable. I reached a new point of depression that I didn’t even know existed. But what made it all worth it was to have him. No one knew, but Henry was mine. He loved me. He cared for me, or so I thought. I was convinced Henry was the love of my life or something. 

August 17th, 2022

I walked quickly down the busy school hallway with a fist full of papers. ‘Henry: I love you. Henry: I only want you. Henry: I can’t wait to see you.’ They read. I was tired. I was careless. I was completely and utterly exhausted. I was fully prepared to ruin his life.

August 15th, 2022

“God, you’re so needy! I give you everything I can, Jason! I do everything for you! It’s not nearly as easy as you think it is for me to prance around kissing boys waving my little fairy wand spreading pixie dust all over Stony High School! I’m not you! I’m important! I’m popular! People care about me!!” Jason yelled. All I did was ask him to homecoming. That’s all I did. With tears in my eyes, I turned around and walked away. I was absolutely and irrevocably heartbroken. There was no coming back from this.

August 17th, 2022

“Hey!! Jason… right?” A tall hockey player questioned. I nodded as I slipped my hands behind my back to hide the secrets I held in them. He paused. “Oh! Sorry, you probably don’t know me. Tyler… Sadler!” He laughed. “Oh. Nice to meet you… Tyler.” I said uncomfortably. “I already saw the papers.” My heart dropped. He raised his arm to lean against the wall. “That’s awful how he’s treated you. I never would’ve guessed you were going around with him. He acts as if he hates you. I could do better.” He smirked. My heart began to race. A guy has never talked to me this way. I didn’t even know how to react. I didn’t know what to do. I just paused and stuttered. “Come on, throw them away. It’s not worth it.” He whispered. I snapped back into reality. My rage was broken and it hit me how greatly Henry’s life could be ruined. I thought about his family. His poor little siblings who’d be forced to move across town with no explanation, or his sweet parents who’d be shunned in our conservative little Britain town. I slipped the papers into the trash can behind me and shyly smirked at Tyler. I realized how attractive he was. He was easily over six feet with dirty blonde hair down to his shoulders, a light blue jersey, and sparkling dark green eyes. “Let me take you on a date. Annabelle’s coffee, after school today.” He winked and proceeded to walk away immediately leaving me choiceless. 

I walk into Annabelle's coffee with shaky hands, a dizzy head, and a heart beating 500 a minute. We talked for a little bit. Just the basic small talk that everyone despises. “You don’t have to do this. I know you feel bad but I’ll be okay on my own. You don’t have to ruin your reputation being seen with me and all.” I whispered. “Let’s go dancing.” He said, ignoring my statement. “What? Did you not hear me? Where, even?” I asked. He ignored me once again, grabbed my hand, and pulled me out of the cafe across the street to the school parking lot. “What are you doing? It’s drizzling, It’s going to rain.” I laughed. “Let’s dance! He yelled over the rain that began to fall. So, with no music to be heard, no reason to be had, and nothing but time to spend, we danced. We danced and we danced. I felt happy for the first in a long time. I felt excited to be alive, to know what was going to happen next. Any thought of Henry escaped my head and all I could think of is how much fun I was having, even in the freezing cold rain. And slowly but surely, I fell madly, deeply in love with this stranger. 

August 25, 2022 00:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

14:59 Jun 28, 2023

BRAVO i literally love this!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joanna Randolph
20:20 Sep 21, 2022

DAMN THIS IS THE BEST STORY IN THE FUCKEN WORLD part two plssssss

Reply

14:59 Jun 28, 2023

i agree i agree i agree

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.