0 comments

Fiction

 

 

Title                             :  Let’s go a- Partying!

 

Name of author            : Lydia Eleanor Naa Kai Mensah

 

Word count               : 1382

 

Number of pages      :      6

 

 

 

#Write a story about a character who’s nervous to attend a party- their first in a long time.#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Suzzy has always been quiet and shy,very reserved for her age, but pleasant to be with. She has had several proposals for a date at this particular event but has turned all down. Prince was sure he would win the bid for her hand. He planned all week everything he had to say, rehearsing and memorising them from beginning to end. He had the sure word of experts and was so sure she had her by the end of his rehearsals. She was sitting on her porch in a rocking chair when she saw him approaching. She smiled as usual, though she had known him for only a day or two.

“What can I offer you?” she asked.

Why is she being so nice to me? Does she know why I’m here? He asked himself. She came back with some orange juice in a transparent glass and sat down. Just as she sat down, her mother appeared from nowhere.

“I hear you’re looking for my daughter. Any reason?” she asked. Everything he had rehearsed over the week suddenly dissipated.

“No Mum. I just wanted to get acquainted.” He replied.

“She has a date. I hope you know that?” she continued.

“Mum? Can you please…..” giving her a signal with her head and eyes that they needed

some privacy. She understood and backed off, hoping to interrupt them another time, perhaps when Prince had begun to feel too comfortable with her daughter. She apologised for her mother’s interruption and explained that she always treated her male friends that way.

Someone had invited her to the party but she had turned it down, so she was telling everyone that she already had a date. Prince now got the picture. She was not that kind of girl.

She did not love partying. Perhaps he would teach her how to. He heard the announcement for the party. He would have more time to persuade her and get to know her better. She had so many excuses; no clothes, shoes and no interest at all.

He bought her some shoes and clothing from the shop and brought them to her doorstep. Howbeit, she was still not excited. It was the party. She did not want the exposure.

“I told you so.” Said her Mum to Prince. “She has someone else.” Prince was not perturbed. He would surely take her along by hook or crook.

Suzzy was warming up gradually to Prince’s friendly charm. Her hand will soon be his for this memorable occasion.

They would be dancing together like no man’s business and patronise the karaoke. Someone had whispered in his ears that Suzzy liked singing very much. He would record her as she sung and then post it on his web page. She was sure to attract many fans through that. Suzzy bought the idea. She had a lot of shopping to do. Her hair needed braiding by professionals. Prince found a perfect salon for her. Her mother watched her every move closely but was confident her daughter would make a smart choice. She would never let her down.

Suzzy was not ready by the time the music was playing in the background. This got Prince worried. Every time he called her, she was busily doing something else. Would she disappoint him in the end or should he have some faith in her? Prince was restless. He was fully dressed in his new suit. None of his persuasive lessons were working today. Suzzy sat in the rocking chair. She remembered the day Prince came to ask her to come with him to the party. Would he disappoint her as the others did? Yes. They stood her up and claimed it was a game. This secret she had not told Prince because they hadn’t grown too close to do so. Prince walked up and down his hallway thinking of a way to try to convince Suzzy to step out and join him. Finally, he had an answer. What had he been waiting for all this while? After all, it was a gentleman who picked up a lady. He would go to her house and see what is amiss. Prince hired a taxicab and soon he was on his way.

Soon, Prince realised that Suzzy’s houses was one of those that had been brought down to allow for the carnival. He was devastated. How would he know where she was living right now? His phone was on a low battery and he could not call her. He stopped the taxi and asked the driver to reverse so he could rack his brains whilst he was doing so. He asked the driver to stop after he had reversed for a few kilometres. He saw a few construction workers putting a final touch to their acts. Thank God! He got down from the taxi and had a word or two with them:

“Good afternoon Sir!” he said like a gentleman.

“Good afternoon. Are you not ready for the party?” said one of them.

“I am. I just need to find my partner.” He confessed.

“Too late. You have to go alone or dress me up in women’s clothing for a thousand dollars!” he mocked.

“Before I do so, may I know where the occupants of the houses that were here previously have been relocated to?” he asked.

“Ooooh? That might be where your date lives, I suppose. They have been relocated a mile away close to the next town. Good luck. It’s quite a drive away.” He said.

“Thank you.” He courtsied.

“What a gentleman! I’ll give you my daughter’s hand in marriage if you’re interested!” he called. Prince only smiled and waved. He was far behind time and he did not know what was amiss. Soon, they were at Suzzy’s. She was still sitting on the porch staring at the flowers. On seeing Prince, she almost rose up to run inside the house.

“Wait!” he called.

“Please don’t do this to me.” He begged.

“I can’t go with you, Prince.” She said.

“Why not? You promised?” he said, confused.

“Yes, I Did but I changed my mind.” She confessed.

“And you didn’t let me know?” he asked, concerned. He held her hands and made her sit down.

“Tell me. I’m all ears.” He pleaded.

“Someone stood me up once.” She admitted.

“But I’m here, dressed up. I won’t do that to you?” he said

“What if you leave me somewhere or you make mockery of me?” she asked. So that is why she’s reluctant to go? He thought to himself.

“Call your mum, please.” He suggested.

“She’s out going for shopping. She may be back in the evening.” She said

“What would I do to convince you that I won’t let you down?” he asked her.

“I just don’t know.” She replied.

“Can you leave without your mum’s knowledge?” he asked.

“Yes. She presumes I’m at the party by now.” She said.

“Then, we must go. Trust me for once. I won’t let you down. If I do, don’t trust anyone again.” He said.

“Easy for you to say.” She mumbled. He held her hand and said.

“Almost the whole town will be there. If I disappoint you, you can always find someone else.” He said, wondering whether what he just said made much sense in her ears. “I promise you, you’ll even enjoy it without me. This is more than a party, it is a carnival. It can even raise the dead.” He said. She laughed at his joke and she laughed too. Now, she will be confident enough to go to her first party with a man. Prince sat and waited for her to dress up whilst he charged his phone. It took a while for her to dress up but she was worth the wait. When she finally came out, she looked so charming and bright,

“Can I take a picture of you?” he asked politely.

“Sure you can.” She said reluctantly. Prince set his camera and he respectfully took a few. They took a few together too and were soon on their way.

May 14, 2021 13:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.