An Autumn Anniversary

Submitted into Contest #165 in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “This is all my fault.”... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Holiday Happy

Josh and Kelsey Manard arrived at a lovely bed and breakfast in the mountains on a crisp September day. It was their fifth wedding anniversary, and they wanted to spend the weekend away celebrating. As Josh pulled into the parking lot, he told Kelsey to stay put so he could open her door. She shook her head and laughed. She was madly in love with Josh. He's always been such a gentleman. She often wondered how she had gotten so lucky to find a man like Josh. "Your Majesty, we have arrived at your anniversary destination. May I walk you inside?" Josh said as he rounded the car and opened the door. "Why, yes, sir, I would be honored." She grabbed his hand with one hand and used the other to help lift her very pregnant belly out of the car. 

Kelsey was about 7 1/2 months pregnant with their first child. They couldn't wait to meet this sweet little one in November. So far, the pregnancy had been going swimmingly. Kelsey's morning sickness was mild, and she had only recently begun to experience lower back pain and pressure.  They had been to a few scans to see the baby, but each time, the baby wouldn't tell them what gender it was. Not knowing didn't really bother them. They knew that no matter what, this baby would be loved and cared for. 

They walked up a rock path to the stunning red oak door that seemed to be the focal point of this lovely two-story log cabin. With one ring of the bell, they were greeted by a woman dressed in a red ruffled apron. She appeared to have been baking because she was covered in what looked like flour. She wiped her hands on her apron and welcomed them in with a stretched-out hand and a big smile. 

"Welcome, welcome, welcome! I am Dorothy Dawson, but you can call me Dottie. My husband, Don, and I are so excited to have you here. You are our very first guest now that we have decided to turn our cabin into a bed and breakfast. As we shared in a warm greeting, we heard this crash coming from somewhere down the hall. Dottie threw her hands up, saying, "Oh dear, what has he done now? My husband Don is a retired doctor, and he somehow thinks that he can fix things around the house just like he could fix his patients. I will be right back." She didn’t seem worried as she excused herself momentarily to check on her husband, Don. 

We couldn’t help but laugh when we heard the exchange between Don and Dottie.  "Donald, what in heaven's name are you doing up there? Get down here before you fall. You’ll never be content until you’ve tinkered with everything in this house. " "Oh, Dottie, you worry too much. I’m fine. Don’t you have a pie to back?"  "Donald, you stubborn old goat, well, when you fall, don’t call for me to help you." 

Dottie reappeared with the same wide smile. "All right, then, let's get you two settled in. "The Mountain View Suite is where you'll be staying. "Come with me."  They followed her up the stairs and then came to a stop at the double doors at the end of the hallway on the second floor. Dottie led them through the double doors into the most beautiful suite they’d ever seen. On the right side of the room, a king-sized four-poster bed stood with a white sheer curtain neatly draped over its posts. On the left, there was a seating area with a burgundy coach set up in front of the fireplace. The best part of this room, of course, was the mountain view. The beauty of the mountains was displayed through one large picture window and a balcony. 

"The view from here is breathtaking; just wait until the sun rises in the morning." Dottie said as she appeared to be lost in thought for a moment as she stared out the window. 

"Dottie, don't you think we should give these two time to settle in?" Don had come in behind us, and his gruff voice was able to shake Dottie out of whatever thought she was lost in. 

"Oh, Donald," she said as she swatted at him. "Josh, Kelsey, this is Don, my trouble-making husband." He laughed as he smiled broadly at his wife's remark. He shook their hands and said, "It's nice to meet you two." "Welcome to our humble home," he said, holding out his hand and waving it around the room. "And to be honest, I do cause a little trouble," he said with a laugh. "But Dottie needs someone to keep her on her toes." Don kissed Dottie on the cheek, and she blushed and just shook her head. 

The love these two had for each other was palpable. Kelsey looked at Josh and hoped that she and Josh would still be as in love as they were when they were their age. 

"If you'd like some, there's coffee and banana nut muffins in the kitchen. Tonight's dinner will be a hearty beef stew with roasted red potatoes, followed by a cinnamon apple crisp tart for dessert. Everything will be ready at half past six.” Dottie explained. 

"Thank you so much, Dottie, this place is quite spectacular. It really is beautiful, and we can't thank you enough for making us feel welcome.” Said Josh. "And I'll take you up on your offer of coffee and muffins. said Kelsey. “After that long drive, I do need a little pick-me-up." 

"Yes dear, I will have Don bring some up right away. Why don’t the two of you sit out on the patio and enjoy this beautiful autumn day? " 

When Josh slid open the patio door, he found himself on a long porch that was wrapped around the left side of the house. They could relax in the two lounge chairs and at the small table while taking in the breathtaking view. A set of stairs led down to a tree canopy that led to a trail that led to a stream. 

"We should definitely go for a walk later.  I'm sure it's even more lovely down by the stream. " Kelsey exclaimed excitedly. 

"You know, Dr. Miller wants you to take it easy, so maybe that's not the best idea, honey," Josh explained. 

"Josh, I know you're watching out for me, but a quick walk won't hurt." Kelsey pleaded with Josh. "I promise I'll walk slowly, and if I feel anything, we'll go back right away." 

"All right, a short slow walk and then some rest before dinner." Kelsey rolled her eyes at her husband, but she knew he was right, so she nodded. Don walked over with a tray with coffee and muffins, and they sat back in their chairs to enjoy them. The coffee smelled fantastic, and the muffins were moist and delectable. While they were enjoying their snack, Kelsey soon became exhausted and fell asleep. While she slept, Josh just sat back with his book and enjoyed the peace and quiet. 

Kelsey opened her eyes and yawned, unaware that she had just nodded off. "Did you get a good nap, sleeping beauty?" Josh had enquired. He was still sitting by her side on the patio, reading The Catcher in the Rye. 

"Wow, I can't believe I fell asleep like that." How long have I been out? She asked. "About an hour and a half," Josh guesstimated. 

"Do we have time for that walk now?" asked Kelsey. 

"Yeah, we have a little less than an hour before dinner," said Josh. 

Kelsey put on her shoes, took Josh's hand in hers, and they began their walk. The sight of the leaves blowing in the wind, displaying their vibrant hues, was breathtaking. There were a lot of squirrels running around collecting nuts for the winter. 

 They'd been walking for about 15 minutes when Kelsey felt a sharp pain in her back. She massaged the area with her right hand, and it seemed to go away. She didn't say anything to Josh because she was afraid, he'd make her turn around and return. They kept going for another ten minutes when another sharp pain struck. This time, she came to a halt and winced in pain. Josh's eyes widened and he reached for his wife's belly. 

"What is it? Are you okay? What happened?" Josh asked, panicked. 

I’m fine. It’s just this pain in my back. It’s probably nothing, just a pulled muscle or something. "Kelsey said through gritted teeth. 

"We need to head back to the house; you need to sit down and rest; dinner will be ready soon anyway." Just exclaimed as he grabbed Kelsey’s hand. 

They made their way back to the house and after a 15-minute rest on the bed they headed downstairs for dinner. The house smelled amazing with all the wonderful things Dottie had cooked for dinner. Josh and Kelsey sat down and got comfortable. Dottie brought in the food, and Don brought them some sweet tea. 

"Alright, you two enjoy," responded Dottie and she set their plates down. 

"Are you and Don not joining us? " Kelsey asked. 

"No, sweetheart, since you are our guest, we will dine in the kitchen." 

Kelsey exclaimed, "Josh and I would love it if you two would join us." 

Dottie asked, "Are you sure? "We don't want to interrupt your time together." 

Josh stated, "Nonsense, the more the merrier." 

Dottie headed back to the kitchen to let Don know, and then they joined them at the table. 

"So, Kelsey I happened to notice your baby bump. How far along are you? " Dottie asked. 

"Seven and a half months, this is our first and we are so excited. "Exclaimed Kelsey. 

“Children are a gift from God. Don and I had four kids, two boys and two girls. And so far, we have six grandkids." Dottie said with a smile on her face. 

"Oh, wow, really, what a blessing," said Kelsey  

"Do you know what you’re having, dear?" Dottie asked. 

Kelsey explained while rubbing her stomach, "We don't know yet. This little one seems a bit shy and wants mommy and daddy to be surprised, I guess." Suddenly, as if on cue, the baby kicked her abdomen vigorously. "I believe this baby knows that we are talking about them," said Kelsey as she rubbed her belly once more. 

As they continued to enjoy the meal and engage in polite conversation, Kelsey suddenly yelled out. "Oh, my goodness, that hurt”. She was clenching her stomach and had begun to breathe heavily. 

“Do you feel okay, honey? " Dottie enquired.  

" I believe so"... She began to say more, but her body prevented her from doing so. Then suddenly, excruciating pain shot up her back. This time was different. Josh asked Kelsey if she needed to go lie down. "Yes, perhaps I ought to go lie down for a while." Kelsey agreed. However, while trying to stand up, Kelsey's water broke. 

"Oh, my goodness," Dottie exclaimed, "it appears that this little one is ready to join us.  

Josh and Kelsey were worried because the baby wasn't due for another month and a half. 

"Go get your medical bag, Don, and I'll get some fresh towels," Dottie stated. 

"Josh, bring Kelsey over here and we'll put her on the couch," Dottie proclaimed. 

"This is all my fault; I should have listened to you and not gone on that walk," Kelsey groaned. 

Despite her body's sharp pain and pressure, Kelsey seemed to feel peace come over her. Dottie was there before she knew it. Dottie had a cool washcloth to wipe her cheeks and brow. Don had started taking things from his bag and putting them on the coffee table. Dottie spread a clean sheet across her thighs and stomach. 

Don gave her and Josh a look before saying, "I'm going to examine you right now. Is that all right? " Josh appeared to ask Kelsey's permission, and she agreed with a nod. Josh clenched her hand tightly and looked over his shoulder as Don began the examination. 

"All right, my dear, Don said, you appear to be fully dilated and ready to push." So, I want you to push with the next contraction. 

She used all of her strength to push as hard as she could while her body screamed in agony. "Wonderful, darling; now give it one more strong push." 

Kelsey pushed once more time with all of her strength, and then a cry could be heard emerging from beneath the sheet. Don cleaned the baby by wiping it down and then suctioning its mouth and nose. Don asked Josh if he was ready to cut the cord before passing him the scissors. Josh gave a nod, and cut the cord while wiping away his tears. 

Don wrapped the baby up and placed it on Kelsey's chest. "Oh, my goodness, you are beautiful!" Kelsey said as she kissed the baby on the cheek. Then she realized something, she pulled back the towel to see the baby, and upon realizing the baby's gender, she cried even harder as she turned to Josh and announced, "It's a girl." 

The four of them sat there crying, even Don.  Soon after Don and Dottie helped Kelsey and Josh move up the stairs to their room. Since there were grandparents, Dottie and Don already had a bassinet and other supplies to give Kelsey and Josh. Dottie had mentioned that if they needed anything, to let them know that they would be there to help them all night. 

It was difficult to believe what had just happened; one minute they were eating dinner, and then, unexpectedly, the baby arrived. The baby was totally healthy and perfect. You'd never guess this baby was born early. 

They settled in for the night" Good morning, honey. How are you doing? Josh was curious. 

"I'm exhausted and sore, but I'm happy." 

As they looked over at their precious baby girl, they both smiled. 

"What are we going to call our little princess?" Josh inquired. 

Well, thought Kelsey, I know we had a few names in mind, but I have a new name for her." 

"How do you feel about Autumn Dawn?" Kelsey stated 

"I love it!" exclaimed Josh. 

"Welcome to the world, Autumn Dawn," Josh said as he walked over to his little girl. We absolutely love you so much. 

Kelsey stood up and wrapped her robe around herself before asking Josh to fetch Dottie and Don for a formal introduction. 

Dottie and Don entered the room, and you could see the joy on their faces right away. "May I hold her?" Dottie asked. 

"Of course, you can, Kelsey," she replied. She handed her over to Dottie, and both she and Don smiled so big that you could feel their love for this little girl. 

"What is her name, dear?" Dottie wanted to know. 

"First and foremost, we want to express our gratitude for all of your help with our little surprise. We consider ourselves incredibly blessed that you were able to share this moment with us. So, allow Josh and I to introduce you to Autumn Dawn Manard. " 

"Oh, my word," Dottie exclaimed, her hand covering her mouth and tears streaming down her cheeks. 

Josh handed the baby over to Don. Don raised the baby in his arms and prayed aloud. Thank you, Lord, for this precious little angel, and bless her mom and dad. " He kissed her on the cheek and handed her back to Dottie. 

Dottie kissed the baby's head before turning to Josh and Kelsey and saying, "Don and I were talking, and we agreed that you should stay with us again soon. And we are offering you a free week's stay. " 

"You don't have to do that," expressed Kelsey. Dottie waved her hand, as if dismissing Kelsey's response. Don chimed in, saying, "We insist." 

Josh extended his hand to thank Don, but Don drew him in for a hug. "Now that that's settled, Dottie and I have a small request.". 

"Absolutely, anything," said Josh. 

"Can you check in with us from time to time. We would love to know how the baby is doing?" asked Dottie. 

Kelsey immediately spoke up and said, "Actually, we were hoping we could come back and stay a few times a year." 

Dottie gasped and, with great joy, said, "Oh my goodness, that would be amazing." 

They talked over breakfast and together made a plan for Josh and Kelsey to return during Thanksgiving to meet Don and Dottie’s family and to celebrate the holiday with them. What started out as an anniversary trip turned out to be much more than Josh and Kelsey had expected, but they both knew it had been a blessing. 

September 28, 2022 21:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.