The White Chalet

Written in response to: Set your story in a snowed-in chalet.... view prompt

0 comments

American

Lola and I drove up happily. The White Chalet, where we would be staying this wintery week. We were so excited to be here. They were expecting lots of snow and having a great love to ski. The snow on the chalet made it look like a living Christmas card. I get out of the car and marvel at the amazing White Chalet.

I'd seen some chalets before on other ski trips, but none as nice as this one. "Come on John," Lola, my girlfriend, says. "Let's go inside, check-in, and warm-up. It's so cold out here. How do just stand there like that?" She grabs her bags and runs inside. I laugh, as I don't get cold very fast. I grab my bags and head in with her. I hold the door for her and realize how perfect it is on the inside.

It's so nice and warm. A fire is running and a man comes and takes our bags on a cart. We check into our room and head up. Our bags are already in the room and we find the room nice and clean. I smile and Lola is starting to unpack. She takes off her grey jacket and hangs it in the coat closet. I do the same with my black jacket. There is a fireplace with a running fire in here as well.

I begin to unpack a little too. We both have separate rooms and put our skis in the closet We went out to eat at the restaurant next door to the chalet. We both head back to our room and watch some television while we both use the bathroom and get ready for bed. We were watching a flipping show and we both decided to get a couple more towels.

Everything was running smoothly until the moment we got a snowstorm alert. We didn't care much, as that meant better grounds tomorrow on the hill. We kissed each other goodnight and turned the T.V. off, put out the fire, and went to bed. I slept soundly and smoothly, waking up once to use the bathroom.

But when I woke up to a knock on the door, I knew something was wrong. I quickly stood up and went to open the door. The person at the door was short in stature. They clearly wanted to tell me something that was very urgent. I told them to hold on and went to find Lola. I woke her up fast and hurried her to the door. We both listened to the man, Mr. Hagin, and what he had to say.

"Hello and good morning! The snowstorm has lasted all night and is most likely going to snow us in. There will be no skiing for today, and we will deliver meals to your room. If you need anything, call the office. We will not bring anyone else in and check people out who want to go. If you would like to leave, you may. We will knock the price of your room and give you %10 off. Please consider the offer, but call the office as fast as possible, as we want to keep in account who is here and who is leaving/left. Thank you." He smiles and waves goodbye as he leaves the doorway. I look at Lola and close the door. We sit on the couch and look at each other, as silence settles over us.

I begin. "Well, we have a decision to make. We clearly don't want to leave, and there is a danger if we do, as my car doesn't have snow tires. The discount would also be fine by me. We also want to leave because if we do then we then maybe home and not snowed in. We could find other things to do and come back another weekend. However, we might be able to ski tomorrow. It's your choice, as I'll be happy either way."

She looks up and holds my hand. She is rubbing her leg a little bit, as that's what she does when she is nervous or anxious. I give her time to think. "I don't want to leave." She says at last. I nod, for her to continue. "It will be nicer to stay than leave. More benefits in the long run." I nod my head in agreement.

"Of course. Let's call the office." I Stand and go to the phone. They pick up after a few rings. "Hello? I'm in room 302. I have decided to stay in my room." Lola went to her room and got dressed. The people in the office say that it's fine, and to keep warm. Breakfast in an hour. I then got dressed and started a fire. Lola opened the curtains and turned the television on.

"It looks like a winter wonderland out there! It's so pretty. I wish we could go outside and take pictures or build a snowman." She sighs. "It's fine. Maybe later today if we're up to it. In the meantime, let's make hot chocolate." She smiles and pulls me up and drags me into the kitchen. She's laughing as she boils the water watching me try to find the marshmallows. I swear I checked that cabinet at least twice. She must have the magic touch.

We enjoyed it and decided that we would have a fun indoor day. We had breakfast and hot chocolate. We had a lot of fun playing a board game Mr. Hagin brought us so we would have something to do in the room. We made a blanket fort and snuggled under there. It fell over three times. We eventually were able to keep it up. I guess we were some of the only people there because when we went to dinner there was nearly no one there, except us.

We had so much fun and the next day we were back on the slope having the best ski day ever. Even though there was a bump in the road, we still found the best in things and we ended up having the best week of our lives and were extremely disappointed we had to leave it all behind when we left.

January 18, 2022 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.