0 comments

Funny Contemporary Romance

"It doesn't count if you're already planning your defeat."

My grandfather would tell me this every time I thought I couldn't do something. He was my major influence in life. My grandparents lived next door to my mom and I. My father, Staff sergeant Kyle Lowry, died defending the country. My mom worked nights so she would be home when I got home from school.

"This is stupid, Papa Bear. I can't ride this bike! I'm too small."

"Kylie, remember what I tell you? Don't plan your defeat. You've got this."

I mastered not only riding a bike, but driving a car. My grandpa loved two things in life: The military and his family. I remembered when my mom married Jim and moved away last year. I took over caring for my grandfather. My grandmother, Lucinda Grace Mason married my grandfather and stayed married until she died.

My grandfather chose to sell his home and moved into the veterans' center here in San Diego. It was there he met the cast of characters he came to love like his second family. Today, a year and a half after his passing, I start my job there.

I entered the center and a sweet woman emerged from the activity room. Her silver hair and blue eyes welcomed me.

"My word! Kylie, is that you?"

"Hello, Ms. Elsie, how are you?"

"Fair to middlin', I s'pose. How're you? Whatchu doin here?"

"I start my job here today."

"You're working here? Chester, Chester! Wake up! We have company!"

A dark skinned man, eyes closed, snorted awake.

'Sweet Jesus, Woman! You better have a good reason for wakin me up!"

"Hello, Mister Ogilvy."

"Well, ain't it the sweetest angel in heaven? How're you, Kylie?"

"I'm good, Mister Ogilvy. How're you?"

"After all these years, you're still calling me by my proper name."

"My grandparents raised me well."

"They sure did." Elsie said,

A loud voice echoed, the Scottish accent apparent.

"Ya daft prig! If I wanted help gettin outta mah damned chair, I'da asked ya fer it!"

The nurse ran out, sobbing. Elsie sighed.

"Drew's attacking again." She said.

"I'll be back, everyone." I said.

I approached the room.

"What was that about, Mister..."

"Tis not mister. It's Staff Sergeant Andrew Gallagher. United States Marine Corps, Second Battalion, First Marines, Echo Company."

I smiled.

"A Light Infantryman, huh?"

He looked at me.

"How'd you guess?"

"My grandfather was USMC First Battalion First Marines. My father was too. I lived next door to my grandparents. They taught me a lot,"

I could feel tears welling in my eyes. Conveniently, Drew's physical therapist came .

"Are you ready for today's session?" He asked Drew.

"Hell no."

He looked at me and smirked.

"However, if she's here when I return, I might just enjoy this session."

I started to blush as Tim wheeled Drew out of the room. I cleared Drew's room. Later that day, I checked in on Elsie.

"What brings you by, Kylie?"

"I took care of a man today."

"I remember. Drew Gallagher is a looker. If I were younger, I'd chase him. He took your Papaw's room after they cleaned it. He looks like a brute."

I laughed.

"He is. Do you know anything about him?"

"Word around here is, he lost his leg in Fallujah in an IED accident. Earlier that month, he found out his wife not only left him but was having the other man's child. Chester and Bram could tell ya more about him. I do know one thing though. He's a sucker for homemade cookies."

I chuckled as I left Elsie's room. I returned to my own home shortly after my shift ended. In a fit of creativity, I scoured my apartment looking for ingredients. I found what i needed for a batch of sugar cookies. The next day, I arrived to the center and set the plate in the activity room. Elsie winked at me.

"Didja make some for the big gorilla?" She asked.

"I sure did, Ms. Elsie."

"I think he'd enjoy some company today."

"Why's that?"

"He arrived here without his leg exactly 2 months ago today. He could use some TLC."

I took her words to heart and approached Drew's door.

"Who es et?" He asked.

"It's Kylie Lowry, Staff Sergeant."

Time felt like forever. Then I heard the door unlock and the knob turn.

"What can I do fer ya, Miss Lowry?"

"Nothing. It's more like, what can I do for you? I know it's rough not being where you feel you should be."

Drew gave me a sidelong glance.

"After my father died, my mom worked two jobs. When she wasn't working, she either slept or started dating Jim, my stepfather. My grandparents raised me. I was 18, in college and didn't fit in anywhere there either. I focused on studying until I met Shawn."

Drew didn't say anything. He just listened.

"Shawn was my world. We dated for three years. I was going to have his baby and everything..."

I couldn't hold in my tears. They fell without my consent. Drew handed me a handkerchief.

"Don't worry, it's clean." He said with a smile.

"Thanks."

"When Shawn found out, he wasn't happy anymore. He turned..."

For the first time in a long time, I found myself ready to talk about what happened that night.

"...Violent. A military man would've killed him for less than what he did. I ended up in a puddle of my own blood, calling the paramedics. They took me to the hospital but by then, it was too late. I lost my baby."

Drew wheeled himself over to me.

"He's an asshole."

"He's not my responsibility anymore. I got better, graduated and came back to the one place that made me happy. Did you know that for the longest time, this was my grandfather's room?"

"Was it now? Tell me about your grandpa."

I spoke kindly of my grandpa and the adventures we had. I didn't realize what time it was by the time we finished speaking.

"Kylie, you've made my day. Thank you." Drew said.

"You're welcome. Oh! Here, I made these for everyone and saved you some. I know you don't come out very often and I didn't want you to miss them."

I handed Drew the plate of cookies.

"These are sugar cookies!"

"Yup," I said.

"Who told you these were my favorite?"

"Elsie, but don't tell her I told you."

"I won't. Listen, I'd love to take you for lunch sometime. Lord knows I need to get out of my room."

I chuckled softly.

"It's a date, Staff Sergeant."

"Call me Drew."

November 05, 2020 00:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.