11 comments

Gay Romance Sad

Blooming Boy

By Ana Neu

“Why did you kiss her?”.

My voice was smaller than I wanted it to be. Like a child’s. Always like a little child. He was leaning on the edge of the kitchen counter. The half-filled red, plastic cups lined the bench on either side of him. Some toppled. Some crushed. His light hair had fallen into his eyes, casting the planes of his face in wisps of shadow. I saw him stiffen. He was silent and still. And for a long moment I thought he had stopped breathing. But he shifted his feet on the floor, sticky with spit and alcohol. His limbs turned fluid again.

“Hm?”, he asked, sinking into his shoulders.

He tilted his head, so his hair fell lower. Low enough to touch the tip of his nose. I couldn’t see his eyes when he took a plastic bowl from beside him, throwing it carelessly to the trash can.

It hit the edge, spilling soggy crisps over the tiles.

“I…I saw you…”, I whispered.

I didn’t know how to deal with it. It was like a splinter between the walls of my heart. I didn’t know if it was going to deflate like a balloon or flare up like a bonfire. I’ve never been angry with him. Never in the twelve years since – I didn’t even know if I knew how to. When I thought of myself asking him at the end of the night, I promised to be bold – to be fierce. But when I look at him now, I knew that was impossible.

“I was drunk”, he said flatly, taking a cup in his callused hands.

He moved to the sink, spilling its contents in a stream that filled the silence. His back was to me now.

“Why does it matter?”, he asked, throwing the cup to the trash behind him. It missed again.

Because I love you. I wanted to say. But I didn’t. I couldn’t. I ran a hand through my dark curls hastily, ignoring the urge to rip my roots out. I forced myself to breathe down the flare of heat echoing in my chest. I tried to cast the image out of my mind, but it was as if it were a hot scar, burnt against the insides of my eyelids. Her leaning into him. Her hand around his neck. Her lips pressing to his. And his surprised eyes falling closed. And his forearm hugging her waist. I grabbed a bottle from the bench. I let my fingers curl around its neck, till my knuckles turned white. Why does it matter? The words parroted against the hollow bone of my skull. I uncurled my fingers and exhaled silently. 

“It doesn’t”, I say as I move towards the trash can, placing the glass bottle in with a small clink, “Never-mind”.

“I was drunk”, he said again.

The lowness of his voice made me blink.

“I know”, I whispered, “it doesn’t matter anymore – ”.

He suddenly turned to me. I looked at him, realising that his chest was rising and falling as if he had been running. He raked his hair back with impatient fingers, revealing his eyes. Those eyes. Those beautiful brown eyes he always hated.

“I – ”, he stuttered, “I didn’t –”.

I held my breath. He never stuttered. Out of the two of us, I was the one to trip on my words so much that I was teased for it. He was the one who shut them up, he was the one who protected me and my stupid vulnerabilities. Yet here he was. Beautiful and open. Like a flower finally about to burst.

“I didn’t want to”, he finally said. I could see it in his expression – the statement seemed false and silly to his own ears.

I could imagine the flower recoiling on itself, retracting into its shield of petals. He saw me, as if for the first time. And it felt like to me, I was meeting him for the first time, too. A memory blossomed in my mind, warm and welcome. His striped tee-shirt and too-tight jeans. The lanky arms that would soon grow into strong ones, corded with pumping veins. The rounded face that would too, grow into a sharp jaw and rough cheekbones that I’d stare at for hours, memorising every patch of skin, every dimple made. I see him give me his first smile. The first day our friendship begun.

Now, he took a step forward. His eyes were wide, his chin tilted up slightly, letting the dim kitchen light play on his face. Another memory spread across my vision. Us lying on a green hill, with the sun hung high in the cloudless sky. The sun's heat washed over us like a wave of hot breath, sinking into the pores running along our skin. He turned his golden face to me, bright and warm. “I’ll always be with you, Will”, he had said to me.

He took another step, his breath catching, his mouth slightly open. This time I see him in my mind’s eye again. At our first high school party, on the quiet roof before blanket of stars against the ash of space. When he gazed and pointed at them, his mouth was slightly ajar, as if he could drink up the sky. “Where?”, I asked. He took my hand gently, pointing it up into the sky along with his. “There”, he had whispered in my ear, “Isn’t it beautiful?”.

He was before me now, looking down at me. I felt my lip’s part. I didn’t let myself blink. He was more beautiful than ever. Even with his mused hair. Even with the crumbs resting upon his chin.

“Will”, he rasped, his breath sweet with alcohol.

My heart stopped when he brought his lips to mine. He bloomed into me like summer into spring. His lips crushing against my mouth, soft like pollen a breeze.

“Will”, he said again, pushing his fingers through my hair, slipping his mouth down to my neck.

I couldn’t stop a tear from rolling down my cheek.

He bloomed most when he was drunk. 

Thank you so much for reading! This is my first short story on reedsy! So I hope you enjoyed. It means the absolute world x.

May 12, 2021 11:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Lola Marston
04:24 Oct 13, 2023

Ugh, I just love it so, so much, I can't stop reading it! The angst and love of the main character is so eloquent and well-written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Kaiser
00:03 May 13, 2023

I've read this a couple times and I love it, but I've noticed some people are ponctuating that there is not a lot of background to it, in my opinion that is the whole point. The enfactuation on their feelings and the few but meaningfull words that make us reflect about their relationship are the core of this work. I think this is flawless, keep up Ana.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Livia Ellison
17:22 Nov 17, 2022

Hi Ana! I'm Livy, and I've been watching your videos since I found your writing vlogs. You inspire me so much, and I wanted to say thank you for that :) - Livia

Reply

Show 0 replies
June Y
18:15 Nov 03, 2022

Came here after I listened to you read it on your podcast.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jasey Lovegood
05:17 May 24, 2021

I saw the themes: Gay, Romance, and Sad- so I knew I had to read it. I think you had a good idea, and the detail was definitely there but like Ari said, your punctuation should go before the quotation mark. Some more insight into their relationship would be good too. Good work for your first story! :D

Reply

Ana Neu
02:24 Jun 01, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ana Neu
02:24 Jun 01, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
06:09 Jun 01, 2021

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Ari Berri
18:56 May 17, 2021

This story is really good! One thing I would suggest, is to explain what happened a little more, like flashbacks, or describing their relationship and how close they are. Also, you wrote like this a lot: "Will", when it should be this: "Will," Other than that, this is awesome! Great job!

Reply

Ana Neu
22:39 May 17, 2021

Thank you so much!! Yes, reading over it, I totally agree. And yes - some silly mistakes I have just noticed! I appreciate your feedback a lot!

Reply

Ari Berri
22:42 May 17, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.