The New Realm of darkness

Submitted into Contest #184 in response to: Set your story during a complete city or nation-wide blackout.... view prompt

2 comments

Suspense Thriller

Nobody Sees The Darkness

 

It was supposed to be a typical, sunny summer day in the city, but that quickly changed. It was like someone had flicked off a switch and all of the city's lights were suddenly gone. No one knew what was going on, and the darkness that spread across the city was overwhelming.

 

Just like that, a nationwide blackout had happened. No one had expected it, and everyone was left in the dark. It was a frightening and chaotic time, and everyone was struggling to cope with this reality.

 

The blackout had taken out all electricity, leaving no light or power for the whole city. Businesses, homes, hospitals, and even schools were all in the dark. Cell phone networks and Wi-Fi networks were down too, so communication was almost nonexistent. All trains and buses were also shut down. The streets of the city were suddenly filled with chaos and confusion.

 

But the citizens of the city were not alone. The blackout had reached across the country, and the whole nation was left in darkness. People were scared and uncertain, but they were also determined to work together during this difficult time.

 

In the days and weeks after the blackout, efforts were made to bring back some degree of order to the city. Officials worked hard to bring back some of the resources, such as food and water, and they ran emergency generators to provide minimal electricity. Small teams set out to assess the damage and bring back fuel and other necessities.People took to the streets to help each other in whatever way they could, and it was a remarkable example of what people can accomplish when they come together.

 

At night, the darkness was oppressive and eerie. Most people stayed in their homes, bar the brave few who ventured out onto the streets. Some of the brave ones made the incredible choice to search for the missing and to provide comfort and hope in the darkness. There was a sense of nostalgia in the air, with people longing for the days before the blackout.

 

After a few weeks, stability slowly returned to the city, but it's still not the same. There are regular blackouts, sometimes lasting for hours or even days. It's an issue that won't be easily fixed, as the infrastructure of the city has suffered significant damage.

 

But the people of the city are resilient and hopeful. They are slowly but surely rebuilding their lives and learning to live with the darkness, adapting and coming together during this difficult time. No one can truly see the darkness, but they know it's still there.

Then, as the hours dragged on, the light rose again. But it was different—the lights glowed with an eerie red hue, casting an unholy chill across the city that lasted long after the emergency truly ended.

 

The authorities had no idea what had caused the sudden blackout. People were panicked and uncertain. Some blamed it on a nuclear disaster, a malicious hacker, or a divine intervention.

 

Whatever the cause, it didn’t matter. The city had opened its gates to a new realm of darkness, and it wasn’t long before chaos began to spread. Local gangsters took advantage of the pandemonium to step up their power grab, while criminals from the neighboring slums took over the suddenly empty streets.

 

The spoils of darkness—as the locals began to call them—flowed into the city. Illegal substances, stolen goods and data, and perverse indulgences that defied explanation all appeared in their wake. With the government’s grasp on the city slipping further and further away, the dystopian world of The Spoils of Darkness evolved into a new way of life. Wealth and power fed off one another, while the most desperate members of society found themselves trapped.

 

The Spoils of Darkness shaped the city into something it had never been before. Gone were the days of clean streets and sunshine, replaced with a violent, yet strangely alluring, shadowland. Those who were willing and brave enough to seize the spoils gained power.But with great power came great risk, and the consequences of seizing the spoils could last a lifetime.

The original star had passed away.

 

This strange red glow appeared to be coming from the highest tower in the city. None of the locals knew what it was or where it came from, but all were sure that it was something ominous. Some gathered in the streets to investigate, but the guards forbade them from getting any closer.

 

One brave soul scaled the tower, determined to see what was at the top. He reached the summit just in time to see a cloaked figure, silhouetted against the red light, clutching a strange object. The figure glared down at the brave man before casting the object into the darkness. Instantly, the red light vanished, and the night returned to its usual peace.

 

The man hurriedly descended the tower and informed the people of what he had seen. Word spread quickly, and within days, news of the strange occurrence had spread throughout the region. People soon suspected that the mysterious figure was a dark sorcerer and the object was a cursed artifact.

 

They feared the item had been stolen from a powerful mage and was now being used to cast a wicked spell over the city. The people searched high and low, hoping to discover the identity of the perpetrator and put an end to the terror. But their search led nowhere, and the city remained in fear of the red light's return.

The locals eventually discovered that the source of the strange red glow was a mysterious being hailing from another star system. This being, who called himself or herself the "Real Star," had come to the world in search of adventure and knowledge.

 

 

February 08, 2023 15:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Emily Eakin
15:39 Feb 13, 2023

I’m so intrigued about this world I want to know more!! Great job!

Reply

Dylan Reilly
01:30 Feb 14, 2023

Thank you! First thing I have ever submitted

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.