2 comments

Mystery

"We begin the monthly meeting of the Stray Fiends. Let's make it quick." A voice commanded over the murmurs.

It was a dark, long room with two long dining tables filled from top to bottom with seated individuals all wearing a piece of grey or red clothing. Each looked exhausted but there was no mistaking the anger, frustration and determination in their eyes.

At the end of the room was another table. It was shorter and made of thesame mahogany wood. At its center, was twenty eight year old Teddy Green. His black hair in a neat, low ponytail and chartreuse eyes in a narrowed slit, surveying each person on the two other tables before him. The lines between his furrowed brows contrasted heavily with the loop sided smile on his pale face.

Seated beside him, on his right was twenty six year old Yvette. She'd been by his side long before the Stray Fiends had been founded. Her dark brown hair in a bob and wide amber eyes looked past Teddy to his left.

She gave a meaningful look to the baby blue wide eyed and spiky raven haired young man. Mordecai waved a hand to the first table.

"We have a problem." A young lady confessed. The hall fell silent.

"And it's another meeting. What's your point, Fred?"

"They're sending in troops- reinforcements to the north. They're trying to take back control and they're coming into restaurants and business centers in disguise, trying to dig up information about us and our leader."

He grimaced as he said that and Mordecai's jaw ticked. Yvette ground her teeth but Teddy's grin only grew a bit wider.

"At least, they think we are one, not three." The two at his sides sized him up, then smirked. "What do they have so far?"

"Nothing yet. The people know to keep their mouth shut."

Teddy gave a curt nod and Mordecai gestured to a female a few seats away. She nodded with a small smile and cleared her throat.

"The market that caught fire a few days ago-"

"Have the investigations been concluded?" Yvette's nasal voice interrupted.

"Yes." The girl nodded vehemently, "They have."

"And?"

"It was an accident. The Crows had nothing to do with it." She breathed and a sigh of relief was let out simultaneously. "A cigarette butt. The owner if the seventh shop confessed and he's deeply remorseful."

"He should be." The three leaders chorused.

"The injured?" Mordecai questioned, leaning forward, "How are they?"

"They are recovering well."

"The burn patients?"

"They were priorities."

"The reconstruction progress of the market?"

"Fine. It's on course. It should be ready at the end of the week."

The three nodded.

"The other marketers? Where do they want to set up for the time being?" Teddy inquired, scratching his freshly shaven face.

The girl lifted her hand to her unruly ginger curls and let out a nervous cough. Teddy's eyes zeroed in on the skin above her elbow.

"Why is your arm purple?"

She studied it, confused then recognition dawned in her grey eyes.

"Oh. We had a run in with the troops."

"Are you alright? You should see a doctor immediately after this."

Her eyes gleamed, then she beamed, "Okay."

"Everything else appears to be in order and stable." Yvette commented leafing through a brown book.

Mordecai shrugged, "Could be better."

"It will be," Teddy whispered so low, only Yvette and Mordecai heard.

"What about the troops still in the east? They received our warning but will they be willing to leave?" A middle aged man from the second table asked.

"Willingness has nothing to with now. It's been three days. They will be out of this city by Tuesday morning." Teddy declared.

Everyone gave a nod.

"We attack." Mordecai looked to his comrades, "Monday night. Everyone get a good nights sleep. We shouldn't keep you any longer. We have a day to prepare."

"Jacob?"

The young adult raised his head.

"You know what to do."

He nodded and excused himself. Chairs scrapped against the floor and they left in groups, mumbling amongst themselves.

Preparations need to be made. The infirmary needed to be cleared and ready with the medical team on stand by. The vehicles needed to be filled and hidden; to transport the - hopefully - few injured they were bound to have; bring the reinforcements and keep them out of sight and to take captives... If necessary.

All the townsfolk in the east needed to be moved to the safe house, away form the battleground. They had enough casualties already.

"But we can't take them all." Yvette voiced their thoughts with a pained look on her face.

"We'll find a way." Teddy objected.

"They are our people, Vee."

"I know that, Mordecai! But that doesn't mean we'll sacrifice half of us!" she gestured to the empty hall. "We all deserve to be here, to celebrate when we take our city back.

"And we will. We will find a way." Mordecai insisted.

"I promised those people my protection."Teddy whispered, his face a blank canvas. "And our city. I am a man of my word."

"I know-"

"We are their only hope, Yvette. You know that. So, do I have your support?"

Teddy stood up and they followed.

They grinned, "Like you have to ask."

***

Dirt and leaves tangled in Yvette's hair as Mordecai pushed her down to the ground. She grunted in pain and he placed his palm over her mouth.

"I'm sorry but shh."

She nodded and he pulled his hand away and rolled off her, drawing in deep breaths.

They were at the east, and the battle was tough. But the Crows hadn't been expecting them and they used the element of surprise to their advantage. The Crows were outnumbered but they were strong. The battle was fierce and Teddy had led a different group to the front of the Crow's hideout while Yvette and Mordecai attacked from behind.

They had knocked out and tied the few guards they had encountered and ventured into the building.

They simply wanted their city back. They weren't murderers.

Gun shots echoed in the distance the closer they got to the front of the building.

Soon enough, the Stray Fiends conquered the Crows and took their city back. 

August 20, 2020 14:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Bookmark Here
05:30 Aug 27, 2020

Awesome job! Nice flow. It's hard to start a story in the middle of the action so I could have used a bit more background on who the crows were and why they had taken over the city. :)

Reply

Aanisah King
01:15 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much! It's my first time writing action but I'll try to make improvements. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.