Contest #182 shortlist ⭐️

18 comments

Suspense Crime

I know she can feel me looking at her. I try to suppress the shock that is contorting my face. She’s eight or ten people behind me in the line. I avert my eyes, barely, attempting to camouflage my snooping. Her greasy hair and splotchy pink skin burn in my peripheral. The oblivious baby on her hip. The royal blue spaghetti strap dress. Half-dress. I shiver.

She’s looking at me, it’s obvious. Disgust plastered on her face. Everyone is looking at me. Well, this is what he wanted. What he always wants. I’m used to the attention. A cool gust of wind shoots between my legs. I shiver.

Why is she wearing strappy heels at a carnival? On a January evening when the sun is threatening to disappear any minute now?

My husband gestures for me to move toward him. I shift Jacob over to my other side. He’s heavy, 15 months already. It’s a prison of sorts, motherhood. I definitely didn’t ask for this. I shake the thought and step toward my husband, who I didn’t ask for either. He doesn’t offer to take the baby, of course. I rub my sore, bony hip with my palm.

That poor baby. At least he’s wearing more clothes than his mom. A pang of guilt pulses in my chest. Why am I judging her like this? My daughter tugs at my jacket. “Mom, when will it be our turn?” I look at her, slightly annoyed that she’s pulled me away from my point of intrigue. “Soon,” I say. She hangs her head, unbelieving.

He pulls me in and kisses my forehead. He smells of cigarettes. Instinctively, I reach for my back pocket to check for a pack of smokes.  But pockets are nonexistent in this dress he picked for me. Good thing, I guess. I haven’t smoked in two years, since the day I found out I was pregnant. I smoked that day of course, from the disturbing shock of it all. But then, I quit. Except for two private, celebratory moments: the day after Jacob was born and one day six weeks ago when I bought today’s carnival tickets.  

I pretend to be enthralled by my daughter’s hair, brushing it with my fingers. But my gaze is pulled to the woman. She’s magnetic. Harsh cheekbones, strong chin, sinewy arms. But my guess is she’s stronger than she looks. I take in the man. Plump, balding, yellow skin. Warm in that checkered wool coat he has yet to offer his woman.

She’s still looking. I look right at her to intimidate, make her uncomfortable, force her to look away.

She catches my eyes. I hold my gaze a beat longer than I should, trying to communicate something to her. But what? That I see her? That I see her pain?

Her eyes flash with something before she looks away. Something more than pity. Empathy? Understanding? My stomach flips. Then, my husband squeezes my arm tight. Possessive. And rough, always too rough.

The line finally moves, and by a quick count of the seats, I can see we will be on the same train ride as the woman. My daughter and I take our seats first. My shoulders tense in anticipation of the woman walking right by me to sit behind us on the train. When she passes me, I keep my gaze down and fight the urge to graze her arms with my fingertips. It’s insane, this urge. I know it is. As if she would just stop. If only I could make her stop. I want to hear her story, from start to finish. Her feet click clack past me. There’s something in her stiletto, tucked under the sole of her foot. It looks like cash.  

I avoid looking at the woman as I pass her, tending to Jacob, asking if he’s excited to ride the train for the very first time. He babbles while I sit and shift him to my lap, settling into our seats three rows behind the nosy woman. My husband pulls me closer, inadvertently jamming the clip of his pocketknife into my bare outer thigh. I suck in a breath. I focus on the top of Jacob’s head, whose tiny, chunky body is warming my core.

As the train departs the faux station, a recorded narration begins, a booming voice sharing facts about the history of the carnival. I realize I won’t be able to overhear anything during the ride. No clues, no sense of how the woman is doing. Or the baby. What could happen, though? Too many pairs of eyes as witnesses. Menacing thoughts swirl as I try unsuccessfully to drown out the annoyingly chipper narrator. My daughter looks up at me and smiles. A lump suddenly and unexpectedly forms in my throat.

I feel trapped, and not just in this moment, in his forceful embrace. Always. Anger simmers inside me more lately. I used to numb it with alcohol. He doesn’t know I’ve quit drinking; I’m good at pretending. He thinks he couldn’t control me if I had my wits about me. And he’s right. If he only he knew how he’s being played. That my plan has been in motion for weeks.

I swallow my emotions and feign interest in the lights and sights all around me (as if I’ve never seen a Ferris wheel), but it’s only an excuse to turn my head. The woman is staring intently at something in the distance. I wonder—no, I crave to know what’s she’s thinking. Dark circles hover beneath her lower lashes like bruises. Or are they bruises? “Mom, can we get cotton candy after this?” My daughter’s voice startles me. “Yes, babe.” I force a smile and pat her hand. When I turn to look back, not even trying to hide it this time, the woman is looking right at me. I freeze.

You think I’m weak? You think I’m not in control? Just wait.

She tilts her head down ever so slightly and holds her gaze on me. Then, a confident, sinister smile creeps up one side of her mouth. My eyes widen and I face forward again. “Mom, the tunnel! Look!” My daughter tugs at my sleeve. “Yeah, babe, very cool. Get ready, it’s going to be dark.” She grabs my hand. I squeeze hers tight. We inch closer to the tunnel. The narrator drones on about how great everything is, how excited we should be, how old the tunnel is, an epic feat of engineering for the time it was built. I resist the urge to yell shut up. He’s distracting me. I’m trying to figure out what is wrong with this family. And what I can do to help. If I could just get her alone for two minutes…

We inch into the tunnel and slow to a complete stop. It’s pitch black, save for a red EXIT sign far in the distance. Kids squeal and giggle. Mine remains silent but squeezes my hand tighter. The narrator booms on and time seems to stand still. I count my breaths, which accelerate from the stress of not knowing when we will be free from this blackness, this excruciating ride…

A jolt. We’re moving again. Moments later we burst forth into freedom, the dusky sky above, the train station in sight just around the bend. I exhale. Then a scream. “Stop the train!” someone yells from behind me. “Stop the train!”

The recorded voice is cut off mid-sentence, then the train comes to a sudden halt. My daughter and I are thrown forward into the back of the seat in front of us. “Are you okay?” I ask her as I sit her back on the seat. “Yes.” Another scream. We both turn to look.

The man is there, head hung low, jaw slack. The woman and baby are gone.

Several adults jump from their seats to tend to the man. I can barely lift my daughter anymore, but adrenaline shoots through me as I jump out of my seat and pull her onto my hip in a split second. I run to the seat where the woman was, but I can’t get a good look through the half dozen bodies who beat me there. “There’s blood!” Someone yells. A few people jump back, clearing a space for me to see. Instinctively I cover my daughter’s eyes. If I were a better mother, I’d be a quarter mile away from here by now. But I must know.

Blood pools on the seat next to the man. It drips down onto the floor of the train, sprinkling dots of crimson onto a pair of perfectly upright stilettos. No cash in sight, I realize. His hand is clasped around something on his bulging hip. A brave young man unravels the man’s fingers. A knife.

He doesn’t appear to be breathing. Someone checks for a pulse. As a crowd descends on the train, I turn and take my daughter away. I walk briskly past the Ferris wheel, past the cotton candy vendors. She asks me questions about what happened, but her words meld together like molasses among the cacophony of carnival sounds. My arms burn with the weight of her, but I press on.

She’ll be on the fringes. Hiding in the dark. Becoming brand new. Then she will emerge unrecognizable. I know what I need to do. If questioned, I will protect her by forever denying the existence of a barefoot fugitive in a tiny blue dress. And it will be true. Because as of this moment, that woman no longer exists.

January 28, 2023 04:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Mary Bendickson
04:57 Apr 28, 2023

Congrats on this well deserved shortlist.

Reply

Robin Owens
14:29 Apr 28, 2023

Thank you, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
06:46 Feb 11, 2023

So Robin! This was a thriller! Congratulations on the shortlist! I loved the way you rose to the challenge of the prompt and I admired the way you used italics in this piece. I thought the way you bounced between the perspectives was brilliant as well. I know they always say that the addition of a child can give you strength you never knew existed. Nice job!

Reply

Robin Owens
18:34 Feb 14, 2023

Thank you, Amanda! I am honored that you read it. It inspires me to keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma Hannaford
01:21 Feb 11, 2023

This is one of the best short stories I have ever read, the difference in perspective really gives a whole other insight to the situation. Very well written

Reply

Robin Owens
18:32 Feb 14, 2023

Thank you so much, Emma. I wish you could have seen my face light up when I read this comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hirusikan V
11:37 Feb 09, 2023

I was wondering if there were two different perspective

Reply

Robin Owens
21:47 Feb 09, 2023

Yes! But once the second perspective disappears, we lose her thoughts altogether.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Kelash
17:02 Feb 07, 2023

Oh, wow. This was such an interesting duality of voices, I couldn't tell if it was the second was the main character's imagining of the second, or truly what the woman in the blue dress was thinking. Unique and masterful. Well done!

Reply

Robin Owens
21:47 Feb 09, 2023

Thank you, Molly! You have inspired me to think about this more. Since this is based on a real woman I saw, I suppose it is actually my imagining of the woman's thoughts, even if I intended it to be her own thoughts in the story. I like both versions; thank you for opening my eyes to that.

Reply

Molly Kelash
04:57 Feb 10, 2023

I think what made me think it might be her imagining was that the woman in blue's thoughts were in italics. Italics make me think of thoughts. Maybe keeping them in straight text separated by hashtags or a break would help, and definitely keeping them in the same narrative voice (third person, I think they were?) would make it clear they were separate POVs. Just a thought.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
11:29 Feb 05, 2023

Congrats.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
16:58 Feb 03, 2023

Way to go on shortlisting this week, Robin! Well-deserved! :)

Reply

Robin Owens
19:00 Feb 03, 2023

So so nice, thank you! I am giddy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tara Leigh Parks
22:26 Feb 01, 2023

This is a well crafted story that deserves more likes. It's dark and upsetting and suspenseful which cheers me up to no end because it's so well done. I really enjoyed this piece.

Reply

Robin Owens
19:02 Feb 03, 2023

Thank you so much! I love that those descriptors cheer you up, very Wednesday Addams of you. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
15:15 Jan 29, 2023

I got goosebumps, Robin, wow! This story, and the building tension, was fan-freakin'-tastic! The distinction between the two dialogues worked extremely well, and I will have to remember that device. :) Also, I love a story with a happy ending! I found it interesting and thought-provoking that the woman was dressed in a way that likely would get judged by others, for lack of sensibility or for goin' hoor, so to speak (we all know what I mean, from some point or another in our lives). How many times is it from lack of choice, lest objection p...

Reply

Robin Owens
18:59 Feb 03, 2023

Thank you so much for reading and for your thoughts, Wendy! I am honored. Goosebumps are my favorite personal reaction to a story, so it brings me great joy to provide them to you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.